Greetings from the pacific northwest

I’ll take a tag to that! when/if ya do @merlin44

8 Likes

I have been ready to do this for about six months. I just need from 2 to 10 folks that would like to give it a try. The particular controls that I am using have a software simulator that is fairly decent. This allows folks to get their feet wet without spending any money. If they decide to drop a few bucks then the real magic starts.

When/If I am able to get a group together, I would insure that everyone has a copy of the programming software which is a free download. The software for programming the panel is not free but a deal can be had if a “Starter Kit” is ordered.

Anyway, long response for saying, you will be welcome to join in @BudBrother. Even a single person class would be fine, just not as efficient. LOL

My general thinking has been to use a group PM for the class. What do you think?

6 Likes

I’m sure you’ll have lots of interest. A group PM would work for me.

5 Likes

I would have thought so but in the past six months I have had a single person show interest. The interest only lasted until it was time to start learning stuff. Never even got the first session scheduled and did not here back…WTF

I have not given up yet…just a few inquiring minds is all we need.

There are a couple of prerequisites that can not be gotten around:
#1 Reasonable computer skills (specifically Windows PC, software only available for PC)
If you can navigate the forum then I would say you have the minimum met.

#2 A Window PC and internet connection
Again, if you are here and using a PC, you are OK

5 Likes

We never stop learning. I’m always happy to add to my knowledge.

4 Likes

Do you know if there are any rules regarding posting outside links on this forum?

2 Likes

Go for it. I just read the rules for once.

5 Likes

The industrial control hardware that I use is made in the USA by EZAutomation/AVG.

Here is a link to the specific product that I am using:
https://www.ezautomation.net/ezrackplc/ezrackplc.php
This is the platform that I would use for teaching. They have an array of control platforms/products to choose from depending upon your specific needs.

This control hardware is “low end” industrial control equipment. It is “low end” due to performance limits. The quality is excellent and consistent with reliability requirements out in industry. A grow room does not need super fast processing so a $16,000 system is not needed LOL. You could control a grow room using this sort of hardware for as little a few hundred dollars. My system, which include temperature and humidity monitoring and control in three discrete growing areas comes in at about $1100 but that does include the touch screen for monitoring and setpoints etc.

If this intrigues you and you would like to give it a go, let me know. Remember, getting started with learning costs nothing! In fact, the first couple of sessions or so would not even use software, it will be reading stuff that I have written and looking a diagrams. This will get the basics taken care of before trying to actually program a machine. @BudBrother

I think that a single person benefits greatly to the one-on-one instruction. From a teaching perspective, two to four people is ideal and 8 - 10 can be managed if the instructor is skilled.

4 Likes

Where can I find this course online? 30 years experience, but would love to have something like that to back up my knowledge.

3 Likes

Welcome @chrisgrillo I am even newer on the forum than you are, joined yesterday.

@macgyver_stoner is referring to the “University” course videos for growing on this site.
@BudBrother and I are discussing an automation class that I would like to put together and teach.

My hopes are that the rules don’t prohibit using the PM this way.

6 Likes

The GN Uni is here:

Happy learning and growing,

MacG

5 Likes

Give me a reminder on Monday, just in case.

But I think I might be able to set you up with something better. But if not, the group PM “class” shouldn’t be a problem.

~MacG

6 Likes

Wow, I am super eager to see what you have in mind! Do you know of anybody that might like to join in?

3 Likes

BTW, welcome to the Growers Network @chrisgrillo!

Have fun checking out this awesome place!

~MacG

5 Likes

Possibly, there may be a lot of people that might have interest.

And when I get in the office on Monday, I’ll chat with the team and see what options we might have, both for setting up a “class” but also going about drumming up interest for the class.

~MacG

7 Likes

Some sort of online meeting system (with video conferencing) might be the thing, never tried that before but have heard of it…It is sometimes best if the students can see what the instructor is doing and then copy it.

3 Likes

If not, you could always Skype or even post short videos on here. I have to compress them sometimes, but at least it’s not just postin pix.

3 Likes

I am certainly open to suggestions. This something that I have wanted to do for some time.

Maybe it will actually happen…que??

5 Likes

Google hangouts offers video conferencing too.

6 Likes

Tag @mrcrabs you’re over here now

5 Likes