GroBucket Test Group - device makes 5 gallon buckets self-watering

Very minor changes in the ph and now an upswing, hhhmmmm very interesting… thank you for running this test. @nacho151

3 Likes

I really am glad I am able to do this test. So far what I’m seeing is not what I expected. I planed on 7 days but might run it for a few days longer.

2 Likes

Please do !! @nacho151

2 Likes

Day 5 readings.

What changed Prior to day 4?

1 Like

I’m not sure, but I think it might be water temperature. Water temperature will effect ph and ppm’s. Tent environment may be cooling off more now at night when the lights go off…

It also might be a hydrogen ion buildup.

these plants were root bound in 4 weeks after being put in a 2L pot…
I wanted that root system to be down in the Reservoir area day 1 to ensure new stalk growth vs. new roots.

in another 3-4 weeks, [I’ll post Pics] those plants will be 2-3X in size. then I will take clones for growing.
the grobucket, will be topped off with my Coco mix as they grow and then keep the plants long-term as Moms in VEG state.

2 Likes

@nacho151. You think hydrogen ion build up? In all buckets hhmmmm my uneducated guess is microbes of some sort any way of looking at the water under microscope? See if anything is growing.?

1 Like

I’m thinking water temperature. My tent stays at 75 to 77 degrees with the lights on and drops to between 63 to 65 degrees when the lights are out. But I read an article saying use pH’ed water and it will bring the readings back to normal. Also remember I haven’t added plants or soil into the game yet. The soil will help with pH and the plants will set the rate of water used. If you top it off with pH’ed water it will bring the pH and ppm back into acceptable range. I’m wishing I had recorded the water temperature everyday.

Its all good thank you for doing this test super informative. I hadnt thought much about it before. I am so glad I found this forum. Its opened my mind so much!!

1 Like

I only did a hydroponics set up once, after a month when I got the water bill I transplanted everything into soil. For my hydro setup I was using about 2600 gallons of water a month just for that. Lol!

1 Like

I think I am going to keep eye on my grow.buckets ph . Will check it in the am at lights on.

1 Like

what size of totes n Res were you using ?

1 Like

After learning ro system waste amounts, the system that we use for everything water, i can’t bring myself to using it. I thought hydro would help save.

Is there a way to save the wasted water? 15 gallons of waste for 2 gallons of ro? Is that a correct number?

1 Like

Hey Carrie thank you again so much for the opportunity to test these grow buckets. To answer your question and i can only speak for myself in this case but that reason i do not fill the buckets up anywhere near to the top is that cannabis just like the lemon and orange trees im using my grow buckets for, they dont like their feet wet lol. When there is to much moisture it can lead to root rot which is different for every plant look at weeping willows they love the water and thrive on it. cannabis and citrus thrive better under dryer or not super wet conditions which causes better and faster root development. So by adding just a half inch to one inch of water in the bottom it teases the roots and causes them to grow in search for that water as well as lessens the chances for root rot not to mention bugs and mold and algae that comes from over wet medium. these are things to think about as we go into flower and have to be aware of the environment that we are creating. I have 1 more grow bucket and i will be doing a cannabis plant in it soon and will let you know how it goes. but as far as the lemon and orange tree go they are doing wonderful in the buckets the orange tree is actually sprouting flowers and little oranges that we wont be having this year but maybe next year. but all in all the grobucket is definitly something that i would recomend so THANK YOU SO SO MUCH AGAIN!!!

3 Likes

Day 6 & 7 readings

3 Likes

Steadily climbing @nacho151. Is the water clear or any change in smell? Hope you had a great weekend!

2 Likes

No it is the same.

Hmm wonder what is growing?