Grow room in freezing cold

Hi. I have a 10x10 grow room setup in a pole barn. It was -30 a few nights and frost was all over inside ceiling doorknobs everything. Now it’s 35 and it’s raining in my pole barn. Wrecking tools motors furniture everything I own. Grow room is perfect it’s the giant pole barn that’s not gonna make it. What should I do? I cannot heat a 20x40 uninsulated building to stop this and have to many plants to shut it down. Any help ? It’s going to be above freezing for a few days and back to 12 during the day.

1 Like

Are you able to get access to insulation?

1 Like

Get 6mil plastic and wrap grow. Use t post and clamps and/or cattle fence. Loop fence over plants then plastic. Lights will keep warm if you can shrink room at all.

2 Likes

Make small doorway and vent during day. Do not go in unless you have to. I have done all this with tomato plants and they freeze easy.
Even if you have to just hang plastic on inside walls and close doorway off till it warms up.
Hope this helps.

1 Like

No like actual insulation r30 r15 anything. Insulation board whatever. You need to wrap that room in insul and heat it. Otherwise they will die within a few days. Just too cold.

2 Likes

Can you clarify the problem @phatjr ? The grow room and the plants inside are fine, but there is frost all over the inside of the barn that’s now melting and damaging all of your property inside the barn?

2 Likes

Get the plants off the freezing ground a couple inches. Start a fire outside and blow the hot air towards the tent.

1 Like

Hi the room is perfect. Lots of insulation. Great led lights. Perfect temp. It’s the other part of the pole barn that’s freezing over. It’s my first year of growing in the pole barn v garage. Big difference. How do I keep the inside from freezing over and temps for 3 days above 33 during the day. Water just pours off metal ceiling on my belongings. Soon it will be 10 during the day. But it’s just gonna keep happening

Yes. Correct that -30 really didn’t help. Bows it above freezing for 3 days. And it all melted. It’s going to be lows in 2 at night

1 Like

I mean that’s something you should have thought about in the planing.stage. I’m already planing 2021. 2020 has been planed way in advance. I would consider maybe building a shed or something. Get out of that barn

It wasn’t just thrown together over a weekend. Lol a lot of planning went into grow room and lights. Buying commercial lights. Fans insulation all of it. I was thinking of another exhaust fan and seeing where I have a insulation leak. I have lots of insulation so I don’t know about that. Been along time since we had 2-3 nights -30 plus. It was the best location. A shed would also pose many problems as how to get to it. Can a roof hold 27 inches of snow at one time. Etc

4 Likes

Evidently the whole pole building will be all flower and veg. I was seeing if anyone who grows in the cold states had a opinion
Thanks everyone

4 Likes

It’s also a lot easier to plan a grow room in LA. That would be a dream. My 2021 grow room would already be planned. And materials purchased

3 Likes

the only way to control this would be to frame out the pole barn walls and ceiling and insulating then adding Sheetrock as another layer of insulation. You could use a company that sprays insulation. I had a 2000 sq ft pile barn I blew out in central Oregon that was very cold. Until you control those conditions in barn the tent and grow will suffer. The humidity will eventually effect the grow.

2 Likes

@phatjr

Or just build/frame and insulate a structure around the 10x10 room??

Packee

3 Likes

@phatjr. For your roof / snow issue, can u get up to the roof with a shovel or something to help the load?

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/69970b57-3910-4002-957c-1065cd094f77/svn/true-temper-snow-shovels-ice-scrapers-193055510-64_1000.jpg

Packee

2 Likes

Hi. Yes I have one and use it. Today was 40 so everything turned to ice underneath it. Still working on it

2 Likes

Can we see the issue? Any pics im still kind of lost whats happening, sounds like the pole barn is not exhausting and the heat from the tent is going to the roof of the pole barn as condensation and dripping back down. If so you need a fan blowing that air and condensation out of the barn at the high point of the barn or the exhaust needs to leave the barn and not leave the tent into the barn. If this is true your in a giant plastic bag and its gonna be a moldy mess soon.

3 Likes

It’s not cheap but it’s a fast fix spray foam insulation it’s easy to apply u can rent the gear and buy the propane tanks full of insulation u would need to dry well first tho to get a great seal. Do not over do it it expands over time as it dries and it pricy to waste. I live in Canada and have helped apply this product to a sheet metal barn for growing it works (we only sprayed the top 6ft and ceiling as we ran out of funds)

2 Likes

Do not use a airless spray gun to apply it will not work

2 Likes