Growing indoor organic CBD

Hello from the great northeast, I am a hobby grower looking to take my game into the organic CBD market. I have never grown CBD specific plant and would love to hear what tips more professional growers have. So far they are slow to germinate and sprout, spent a day in RO water and now they are in paper towels. One sprouted quick and I put it under a small LED 100W equivalent and is growing well (pic below) the others have a small taproot but waiting another day before going to soil. What steps should I take to ensure best CBD quality I can, less worried about yield. Thank you and cheers!

Equipment
Gorilla Grow 5x5
Growers Choice ROI 680e
16" charcoal filter
Infinity 6" fan with controls
Humidifier
2 - 6" fans
1 - 12 inch fan
Coast of Maine Stonington blend as base and as seed starter
Cost of Maine kelp
Cost of Maine Worm Casting
Local crushed oyster shell
Earth dust bat guano
Gaia Green 4-4-4 and Gaia Green Bloom
Mycorrhiza

6 Likes

Welcome
Looks great!

1 Like

I think you can easily get away with just doing the same growing process for THC Cannabis. I have been growing indoor CBD hydroponically for the past year with great results. Lots of light, good airflow, warm rooting environment, managed humidity, and you should be set to see some CBD nugs at the end.
Based on your equipment, I’d say you have a great start! Keep it up.

3 Likes

Thank you, will keep everyone posted

4 Likes

What strain are you going with this grow? @greatbayorganic

1 Like

Be Hot Blond from Blue Forest Farm.

2 Likes

There is absolutely ZERO diference between growing hemp or MJ. They are the exact same plant!!! The only difference between them is found under a lab test to determine the coa.(thc,cbd,cbg,cbn,etc).

7 Likes

Awesome that’s what my research is telling me, but reading is no substitute for experience. Thank you again for the help!

2 Likes

Update on week two, growing very differently in the same soil and conditions, seeds from two different strains… Any advice?

3 Likes

Every seed is different. Sometimes they all do the same things other times they crack and grow at different times, even the same strain. Keep an eye on it though. Might just be a runt or badly mutated. Weak plants can lead to problems down the road.

2 Likes

Week 2/3 and the 2 WW are continuing to grow slow. The second HB I popped almost a week after the others is already catching up. Any thoughts? Giving them spring water and the temp has been 68-78 deg F and the Humidity has been between 50 and 65%.

2 Likes

No different than any other cannabis…some strains more difficult to grow than others, some higher and lower in CBD than others. But all cannabis plants and all nearly the same requirements for growing. I’m sure you will do just fine. I tried one grow in “living soil” it went terribly bad. Did everything according to instructions mixed the soil up exactly as instructed, “cooked” it for three months prior to grow, put in pots and watched my babies turn yellow and brown. I did get it completed, and it was good, but it was a struggle the entire grow. Personally I’m not inclined to try that again anytime soon lol. I bought my living soil add in. Looks like you are making your own from scratch. Keep us posted! Lots of pics! Best.

3 Likes

Just a bit of help a little too late…I always plant my germinated seeds in pure worm castings. I mix the bottom two thirds of the starter cups with coco coir and worm castings and pearlite then put a layer of pure worm castings in the cup…poke a hole put the seed in, and then cover with more pure worm castings. All organic and the perfect very gentle nutes for the young’ens.

2 Likes

Started these in organic see starter mix, so not even getting to the soil yet…its really light but yea maybe the soil is just no good. Thank you for the help, I am going to let them go until they out grow each other, then it’s probably to the compost bin…

2 Likes

Yeah, not to diss all starter mixes…but I bought a small bag of starter mix once and it didn’t do worth a damn either. Still have 90% of it, used it once, never again. Think I’ll probably throw it on my outside vegetable garden come spring. I’m also a avid vegetable gardener all organic.

2 Likes

I noticed you mentioned your temps have been 68-78. Any way to keep your temp stable around 75 degrees?

1 Like

Yeah I can try to keep it more stable, thought the coolness at night mimics nature? I can try to keep it closer to 75.

2 Likes

For babies, you want to keep the root area warmer for better root development. Imo the cooler temps were stunting your growth.

2 Likes

4 weeks or so in and ready to activate the living soil with some compost tea. Started the TLO book by the REV and am learning some great techniques. The two WW are still growing slow, I transplanted one into a bigger pot with some fresh soil, used a simple, worm casting, perlite and compost blend. Decided to pop a couple more WW seeds to see if I can get these to grow better.

1 Like

Wow cool… I would like to dive into cbd growing… I love your stuff man.

Cheers!!

Peace & Toke.

2 Likes