Has anyone had issues passing microbial testing for your products?

Let us know how you overcome this problem. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@BenMGC might have some feedback, here is his Growers Spotlight article: CALIFORNIA MICROBIAL TESTING REQUIREMENTS FOR CANNABIS

INTRODUCTION
Recently, the Bureau of Cannabis Control released its long-awaited cannabis regulations. At Medicinal Genomics, we are particularly interested in the microbial testing requirements, as it affects the laboratories in California that are using our PathogINDICAtor® qPCR Microbial Detection Platform.

All-in-all, our laboratory customers will be happy with the regulations. They are favorable to qPCR methods like PathogINDICAtor because the state requires testing for specific microbial targets and does not set detection thresholds using colony forming units (CFU).

MICROBIAL TARGETS
California is the first state to require testing for only pathogenic microbial impurities:

Shiga toxin-producing E. coli (STEC)
Salmonella
Pathogenic Aspergillus species (A. fumigatus, A. flavus, A. niger, and A. terreus)
The state requires cannabis testing labs test inhaled cannabis products for all six targets, while non-inhaled products need only be tested for STEC and Salmonella.

Cannabis testing labs that are currently using culture-based tests for microbes will have a very difficult time validating their method on Aspergillus. Aspergillus is notoriously difficult to grow in a culture medium because it tends to grow very slowly and colonies clump together to form a heterogenous macrocolony (see below). As a result, there are no commercially available culture-based tests that can detect Aspergillus.

However, qPCR methods can detect Aspergillus DNA. Our PathogINDICAtor Aspergillus detection assays have been validated on cannabis flower, extract, and edibles. We have also multiplexed all four Aspergillus species into a single assay, so testing labs only need to use one well on a 96-well plate.

Click link to read more.

4 Likes

I just got an e-mail from @agrisciencetesting about some of the new testing happening Colorado on February 1st:

Medical cannabis products will require testing for contaminants.
The full micro panel will be required on medical flower, edibles, topical, non-solvent-based concentrates, and remediated solvent-based concentrates. The full panel consists of total yeast and mold, shiga toxin-producing E. coli, and salmonella.
Residual solvent analysis will be required on medical solvent-based concentrates.
You may pursue process validation for both of the above tests to avoid testing every batch. Read more about the 1/1/18 process validation regulation updates on an earlier post.

Honestly, I encourage the changes and more strict testing. Let’s keep people safe(r.)

3 Likes

www.spectrumgro.com has your total Natural Solution to Natures Problems with its Air Water Light products. Will eliminate your PM and other TYM and your grow will pass the State Lab tests.

3 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Has anyone had issues passing microbial testing for your products?:

We are producing H2O2 with No ozone 24/7 through the HVAC with our product. Alot more piece of mind with tough microbial testing. Give me your thoughts @growopowners @mastergrowers

Terry

3 Likes

My name is Terry McConn with Pantec Air, LLC. We are a distributor of Activepure air cleaning products. The product that I am introducing to the cannabis industry is mainly for indoor grows. It is a retro fit unit installed in the HVAC system producing Hydrogen Peroxide 27/7. killing and preventing most indoor pollutants and cantaminants on surfaces and in the air.

Website www.pantecllc.com

I am excited about being part of the network and learning more about the industry

Thanks
Terry McConn

3 Likes

Oregon stopped requiring testing for mold and bacteria. Water activity is tested and if in the proper zone, nothing should be able to grow. Generally, mycotoxins aren’t produced at threatening levels, and microbials (specifically salmonella) are only tested at the state’s request. My lab said they have never run those tests for the state, and when I asked what a mold and microbial would cost, it took them awhile to look up the price. Apparently, nobody pays for them without cause.

I am not here to argue the finer points about the benefits of rourinely testing these things, I am just relaying what I was told about the issue from my lab, in Oregon, when I was asking questions about testing.

3 Likes

Maybe if we sold just hops to brewers the testing would go away! How many pesticides are tested on hops and wheat for beer. The OLCC is only worried about cannabis consumers! Spread the love guys…

2 Likes

tlmcconn

1m

These are the key oxidizers created by our ActivePure Technology, creating zero ozone.
Our technology will kill and prevent many of your air and surface contamination problems within your grow.
Easily Installed into your HVAC system.
Talk to me, give your thoughts.

Terry McConn

3 Likes

You will have 100% pass rate usIng our Air Water Light solutions at a cost of $2 per plant from clone to cure. More info at www.spectrumgro.com Larry Lucas 951-551-3052

3 Likes