Help with 6,500sqft grow space design and HVAC/ Electical

Too funny never seen a total loss of a crop from a timer failure… And there’s other savings lol… Do I really need to list them or do u also have a resistance to savings ? Or possibly sell equipment…

1 Like

Btw no moving parts in my relays ;)(by cheap I mean less than a grand to set up)still 1/4 of cost of a pre built with magnetic relays

1 Like

And nitpick you did…

We are not discussing a timer failure. That usually causes lights not to come on, turn off mid cycle, or stay on, which is a lot less damaging to a harvest than being suddenly woken up in the middle of the night by 1000’s of watts of bright light, which is what can happen when a flip-switch fails.

Of course you’re not going to lose the whole harvest, so my bad in not being more precise in my example, but I’m sure even you must know that waking plants up in the middle of the night often causes seeding, which severely effects the quality and value of the end product.

So as a more accurate example, let’s say now the 32 units are only worth $1500 instead of $2000. Do I need to do the math for you and compare it to the $4000 savings on ballast? I guess I better - $2000 - $1500 = $500 loss per unit. 32 x $500 = $16,000. But ‘m sure you will nitpick this simple example and tell me you will only lose $475/unit, to desperately try and make me wrong again huh!

One thing I know from experience, anytime someone is using a flip-switch and it fails, they replace it with one ballast per light.

And yes, you figured me out. I’m the leader of a multinational group of equipment dealers trying to persuade people not to use a flip-switch so we can sell some extra ballasts.

You said,

“And there’s other savings lol… Do I really need to list them or do u also have a resistance to savings ?”

Please list them for me, and I will explain how wrong you are again!

And if I’m wrong I will happily tell you, “I’m sorry, I was wrong, I hadn’t thought of that”. Which you seem incapable of doing.

You said:

“Btw no moving parts in my relays…” Congratulations, this means you have solid state relays (SSR).

Here is a little information from a company called ORON, a major supplier of SSR’s.

“OMRON constantly strives to improve quality and reliability. SSRs, however, use semiconductors, and semiconductors may commonly malfunction or fail.”

Please remember, I’m just trying to warn people of the potential danger of trying to save a few hundred dollars per light, using one ballast to drive two lights using a flip-switch.

2 Likes

Awesome information. Stay professional. Thanks guys.

2 Likes

I could have hours of conversations with you @jeuxdebourse. Hahaha Im an electrician as well as other great trades in my basket. Lol I had to jump in on this thread again. Hahaha those relays are not dependable for a large commercial grow like that. I loved your posts on this. I agree with you 100% on everything you said. When losing any part of a crop due to equipmemt failure happens it costs tons of money. Thats the things that bankrupts a grow before it even gets rocking correctly. I try to break it down to people, specially from being an electrician and a guy whos built commercial grow rooms for a living for 20 years, but I get argued with about how I am wrong…and by people who have never built those large grows or who are not even electricians. Theres one thing to question and ask me stuff, but another ball game when the person thinks everything they say is rite and I am always wrong. You cant argue or debate with that. Hahaha I laughed at your first post,I bettter fit more than 16 lights in 2 rooms that are split between 2500 sq ft. Hahaha I know you based that off of a 200amp pull for 2 big rooms and wonder if anyone caught that. Running the environment such as heat, a/c, humidity…etc…that runs a lot of electricity, and if you live somewhere thats always hot or always cold outside like Alaska, fairplay colorado, or even hot like nevada, or florida it changes these variables. Even running flowering lights on times at night time rather than day time also changes the numbers. Lmao and only some growers average 2lbs a light per light on those grows. As a rule of thumb I always say to just estimate you will get 1 pound a light. Anything more is a bonus. Better than estimating your product at 2 per then not make your numbers. I am with you 100% on splitting the rooms too. I helped build 3 aircraft hangers into full on grows back in 2008-2009. Massive build. Thats when I started splitting up the large space into multiple rooms and not into just a massive flower room. Controlling the environment in the large open space rooms is just brutal. Im the ocd guy that has to have the same temp at every corner of the room.
Im gonna make another comment too. I have done this long enough that when someone starts talking or commenting about certain grow stuff I know in just a short time if they are actual commercial growers or small tent growers. They dont realize it, because they don’t know. Not trying to be cocky to anyone, just true. Some of that babble of mine is a roll over rant from another forum. Hahahaha my bad.

5 Likes

This is an interesting thread. I have designs for a greenhouse, but it’s not conventional. This thread is pointing out things I need to look for in my design.

4 Likes

Always growing we are. In every way.

I love the collaboration of minds here.
So many ways to think outside the box and make ourselves so much better in return. Its awesome!

2 Likes

Thank you. I appreciate the input from someone with actual knowledge, who understands the subject!

2 Likes

Keep it professional folks. Looking good.

@bullfrog420 is the man. Ive seen his grow buildings. And he runs a vegging clone program 24/7 365. He knows more about building commercial grows than anyone here. :+1::+1: you the man bullfrog420

2 Likes

That is high praise coming from @PreyBird1 about you @bullfrog420. Do you mind if I toss some questions out? I’d love to hear your answers.

2 Likes

@PreyBird1 your too kind brother! Thanks for the compliment. Means a lot coming from you!!!

3 Likes

Absolutely!!! Throw out them questions. I enjoy this stuff!!!
Fun fact: even tho I have designed and built large commercial grow facilities, my favorite and love or passion in the builds is realy the at home grow builds. The hidden grows where you can have a party in the next room next to your garden and no one ever have a clue. Those grows, and the bad ass awesome at home growers over the years are why we have some of the awesome strains and grow techniques we have. They didnt formulate or be created by big commercial ops…we have what we have because of growers like you guys in this forum. So with every toke of this fat bowl I just packed of some Hawaiian x Afghani I say to all of you…cheers…and thank you for all of your questions and persuit for knowledge!!! Your the ones who truly created and boosted this industry!!! So if I can ever answer a question or give any type of knowledge or advise that helps any of you benefit in any positive way then please,.dont hesitate.

5 Likes

Ill be building a nice sized, personal perpetual grow space soon. I will remember you when the time comes, and maybe get your advice on a few things?

Peace :v:

3 Likes

I am designing a greenhouse that is underground except for the roof. This will help regulate the temps and make it easier to keep it steady. I have auto shades planned for the roof so the computer can open or close them as needed to regulate temps, the same with the heat vents.
My main water storage tank is next to the greenhouse, underground (with cleaning access).

Underground greenhouse: 50 feet x 100 feet.
Supplemental LED lighting. Divided into 5 main sections, 4 for growing.
Aquaponics.
Main water storage tank, 10,000 gallons, underground.
Main fish tank: 1000 gallons inside the greenhouse.
Flood and Drain is what has been chosen so far. Nothing is set in stone.
Computer controls environment = Light, temps, humidity, CO2, air flow, watering.

3 Likes

I also have designed an underground air exchange system that will try and keep the greenhouse air around 55-60 degrees. That is solar powered. The roof is designed to take advantage of solar as well. It’s designed so that even if it is snowing, the roof will stay clear. Because of the forced 55-60 degrees inside, it never freezes and its much easier to prevent overheating. The roof is too warm for the snow to stay. It will melt and run off. All that water, redirected thru a filter and going to the main storage tank. You never know when a drought might hit, do we?

3 Likes

Inside are sensor packs in each grow bed that read temp, light, wind, CO2, pH of the grow bed.
All this goes back to the computer which makes adjustments in environmental controls. If something is out of range compared to everything else, the computer will flag it and send an alarm to an app on my tablet.

By the way, it’s not just weed. Medicinal herbs as well.

2 Likes

The house is split into 5. 4 main crops and the last area is all the drying rooms, worktables, trim room, supplies storage… bathroom w/shower, the master control room, misc stuff I forgot…

2 Likes

The reason for moving it underground is that by 8 feet down the temp is always between 55F and 60F. All night long it will hover in the low 60’s year round. The sun in the morning will warm it up. Even in winter it will never freeze.

1 Like

Well thank you @bullfrog420 and @Homey for straight humbling me. I’ve been working on my grow building and this thread um well it just smacked me in the face. Ill be back to the drawing board. Great thread. Saving it.

3 Likes