Help with 6,500sqft grow space design and HVAC/ Electical

I wouldn’t lump me in with @bullfrog420. He is a professional, where I am a trained researcher, and I’ve been thinking about this for some time.

1 Like

I’m not sure an 8’ deep hole with a 5,000 sq ft canopy exposed to the elements qualifies as, “underground”.

It’s my understanding that the stable temperatures found underground, are a result of the time it takes to change the temperature of the soil and rocks. It takes much longer for a dense substance to change temperature, than something light and airy, like air!

I get the feeling what you will have, won’t be much different than a 5,000 sq ft building, with really well insulated walls and no insulation in the roof.

Maybe there will be some benefit with a little warmth coming from the ground, but I think without the 8’ of soil on top, it will quickly equalize and be the same temperature as the surrounding surface soil 8’ above it.

Have you considered putting a geothermal heat pump system, under an “above ground” greenhouse? I think it would be a more effective option. Here is a link that discusses it.

https://farm-energy.extension.org/geothermal-heat-for-greenhouses/

1 Like

See, I didn’t add one thing and you have the wrong idea. My fault. LOL

You are totally correct that it’s not really underground if it has a clear roof, but the entire structure is not under the clear roof. Just one section 50 x 20. The rest is all indoor grow rooms underground. And it will only need 3 feet of dirt on to keep the temps in the high 60’s.

I am using geothermal to heat and cool the entire thing. A heat exchange system is 10 feet below the floor. It is a lattice of pipe for air to flow thru and change out the heat. Air in at whatever temp from the greenhouse, air out at 60 or less. It’s run with a solar powered fan at each end to change all the buildings air once an hour. (Except sealed rooms).

There is a sump pump in the exchange system to remove any built up condensation. It empties to the main water storage.

Have you ever been in a Walipini?

I’ve never heard of a Walipini, let alone been in one!

1 Like

Until you walk in one and realize how big the temp change is, you just can’t see it.
A very old style of greenhouse. One basic design with unlimited variations. Check it out:

2 Likes

Very interesting. Much different than the 5,000 sq ft canopy I envisioned, when I read your post.

1 Like

I want a cargo container burried in my back yard. Its a dream of mine. My own shelter/grow.

2 Likes

The shipping containers are sold here. People buy them and build them into homes because it’s waaaaay cheaper than building a house.

1 Like

Make sure you sealcoat it inside and out very heavily before it goes in the ground and put some beams and headers in there. They are strong on the sides. They are made to lock side to side , and top to bottom on the ship. Only the corners and edges are strong, the rest needs reinforcement before going underground.

1 Like

The numbers only tell part of the story.

1 Like

Thanks for the compliment. I just have a ton of hands on experience due to the life Ive lived for so long. Hahaha some call it knowledge. Lol
Are you an island grower? I freaking love island strains. Ive grown a lot of them and have travelled to a couple islands to help troubleshoot grows over the years. My favorites are Maui and Puna Budder. Oh man i love those. The Maui I was known for was the original. It was a clone from the mid 80’s I aquired it in the late 90’s. I cloned her all the way up til just a few years ago. Ive got lots of crosses ive made with her too. One of my breeding programs out west I am doing now is to bring her back, all 30 plus % thc of her. Hahahahaha I was also lucky to just get the Puna Budder back. I wont start her til the laws change here tho. I don’t want to loose her again by mistake!!! Lol man,I love island genetics, just saying,Im about to start some Aloha strains next trip to the grow out west too.

2 Likes

Hey guy. Nice to see ya!

Making a used shipping container into a home through modification is much better as it can reduce our expenses. But climate control factors are necessary for a shipping container. Insulate the container so that it can withstand climatic changes like extreme cold and heat. Used shipping containers are best for storing as it is very secure due to its strong body. So try modifying a container into a beautiful home. I am also looking for a storage container, it would be helpful if anyone of you can suggest to me where I could get these for the cheapest price? Thank you!

1 Like

Craigslist has them in my area

2 Likes

Was going to suggest the same. The 20 footers are about 2500 in my area. I wanna say the 3500 to 4000 range for 40 footers. I’ve been eyeballing the 20’s in hopes of turning one into a super cool “yard barn”

2 Likes