Here I grow again

ROFL…gotta be careful with the fingers or you might just sign your life away lol.

5 Likes

Hysterical!

Me too.

8 Likes

Sorry for your recent challenges, Hap. Thanks for showing us that pros hit snags, too. Looks like you have it all under control, per usual.

7 Likes

Sir, have you ever found bad mites hitching a ride with predatory mite shipments? I’m exploring options for my outside garden.

7 Likes

Sure,
And that’s actually a good thing because remember your insectary has to keep your predatory mites fed at all times, so if there are some ‘bad’ mites in there it just shows whomever you bought them from is doing a GOOD jub!

9 Likes

Well then in that case:::

PREDATORY mites for sale. Email Happy to direct payment form!

disclaimer - some shipments may contain spider mites or others, strictly for feeding protocol. We cannot be held responsible for which kind you get!!

14 Likes

How come this reply doesn’t get more likes? It’s awesome :joy:

4 Likes

Forgive me and I consider you the master of all things buggy…but the last thing I want is mites of any kind lol. I’ve been blessed by never having gotten any pest of any kind except fungus gnats, which I have right now, and have had through this entire grow, early on sprayed the outside of the grow bags and the top of the soil with Pyrithim but only before flower, I’ve also had the sticky yellow cards in the tent the whole time, there are literally thousands of them stuck on the cards so I think it pretty much kept them under control, to the point they weren’t damaging my plants, when I opened the tent I would see maybe 2-3 flying around, and when I would water 10 or 20 would come up out of the top layer of soil from all six grow bags, not each bag the whole room. They had to come from the coco, was winter when I started this grow and all new bags and all new coco from bricks canna brand.

Marty

6 Likes

Hey, you’re blessed!!
If you never have mite or fungi issues your life is golden!!!

10 Likes

Sport … :mosquito: bits man. Get a 5 gal. 🪣 Of rain water dump in a teaspoon of Bits and voila… gnats gone. It’s my religion - :mosquito: bits dude. I haven’t had one in 2 years since I started doing it.
RELIGION!!

10 Likes

Loco, I assume this is the same kind of product as mosquito “dunks.” I’ve used them outdoors in bird bath and rain barrel for a couple years, and I love them. I water all my plants from the rain barrel, and I wonder if the dunks have helped me prevent gnats!

8 Likes

Absolutely no doubt. Same thing!! Basically making a tea of gnat death. Great stuff

4 Likes

Ok are you serious ? And if you are, is this to be used only before or can you water with it during a grow on the flush water? Never heard of this. But then there is lots of things I have never heard of lol.

Never mind just read the above posts, absolutely gonna get some !! I thought those critters were just a pain in the ass, until someone posted a picture of their roots with gnat larva chomping the roots.

Marty

7 Likes

Ok question on the mosquito bits, I’m gonna make a guess that the life cycle is eggs, larva then the flying gnats:? If so will hydrating the coco blocks with water with this in it kill the eggs? Or does it only kill the larva? I just got my bricks of canna coco in a few minutes ago, and my remaining 4 uncut plants are at most a week away, so I am about to get busy making up my coco in a week or so, gotta get my bags enpty and clean them then hydrate the coco. and mix all my goodies in kelp, insect frass, and malt.

Thanks for any info on this.

Marty

8 Likes

Yup… u got it! I too originally thought they were just a pia… But then I did a little research and yup… they nibble on the fine secondary & tertiary roots. No bueno good sir! Gotta nip em in da bud - death to all gnats.
I have never experienced ANY side effects from the amounts I use. Aka no pH effects that are measurable atleast. I think it was Oly that brought that point to my attention and is a rather valid worry. I however, not once can blame anything on the small amount I use. Wheather it rains or not I drop about 1/2 teaspoon in every week (that I can remember) …lol so maybe 1/2 teaspoon every 2 weeks. :joy:
Ive said it 50 X’s in here atleast that it is the best trick I have ever learnded.
You know I’m soil so I can’t speak for soaking your coir in it… BUT as long as your pH is in check I can’t imagine it being anything but a PLUS!

9 Likes

A week ago I took down half my room because I had a bud rot problem. I lost about 75% of One Plant in about 25% of the other. Oh well…:man_shrugging: What are you gonna do. As you know if you’ve been reading my journal I have also been fighting bugs. This is the first Time that I’ve had bugs start to get the upper hand on me. I was able to slow them down enough to make it to harvest on my last two plants. Here’s what I got hanging on the clothesline drying after the bud wash. Not too bad I’d say. All that bud came out of 9 ft.²

15 Likes

Yeah after I posted that earlier, I went out on the net and did some extensive reading on it. Everyone recommended it for fungus gnats, even the St. Louis Planetarium which is world renowned for there expertise and is a fantastic place here in my town to visit. Basically it is a bacterium that doesn’t harm anything except the larva of mosquitoes and gnats, neither of which I have any love for lol. I ordered some on the net this afternoon got 30oz bag of it.

There are also several other versions of it. Pretty much considered a organic solution to the problem. As may as I trapped on the sticky cards, I just suspect that they were doing damage to my roots.

Many of the sites also mentioned that using fabric bags is the way to go as the fabric is impenetrable by the gnats to burrow and lay their eggs, so they have to go in from the top. I have never had a problem with them before, and have always used fabric pots for several years now, but this grow I went to the Radicle bags which are a woven PVC or some plastic and have a billion holes on the bottom and sides, I saw them going in and out of those holes this grow, they are not at all like fabric. So now I am rethinking if I want to reuse them or not, they seem to be the perfect pot for their breeding habits, go through the holes all over the bag, lay eggs and pretty much have unfettered access to the entire surface of the soil over under around and through lol.

Thanks for the fantastic tip !!

Marty

11 Likes

DAMN happy… what a disappointment huh. Looks like you’ll barely get a half a ton.

13 Likes

I’ve seen you hanging them outside in the sun before on your posts, everyone always reccommends that it be dried in the cool, and in the dark. Do you do this just for an initial quick dry to avoid mold? That is a fantastic haul. I have taken down two plants and nowhere near that much. The OKC was listed as being “spongy buds” and they are, they dry down to very small, but they are good smoke. Thrilled with the quality of smoke, but not the quantity. I hung them on a line in the basement which is dark and very cool right now as it is only in the teens right now, I turned off the basement heat vents, it took about 4 days, then I cut everything into short pieces and they are now in brown paper grocery bags, I slid one bag over the other to create a “vessel” I am sliding the top bag off for a few minutes each day, then back on, this is the first time I have tried this method, was not happy with the retention of the terpenes the last couple of harvests. They smell great when I first hang them, then they smell like hay. Then I cure them but the aroma never comes back much, hopefully this will do better. I jarred them before for the cure. This is very smooth smoke, hope it gets it’s nice smell back.

PS got em today. Thanks !

Marty

7 Likes

Those are drip drying from a bud wash. They go inside after a little bit.

9 Likes