Highest Potency in your edibles!

It’s understood that decarboxylating with heat is a quick and effective method…however when using heat in the process you are inevitably decomposing some terpenes and cannabinoids.

I ran across this on another forum, and honestly, it had never occurred to me, but makes perfect sense!
The process takes some time (drying out) but reportedly, yields utmost potency in edibles.
Initially, there’s probably some hesitancy leaving the ‘wet’ bud to dry out…however because of the concentrated citric acid solution used in the process, there will be NO MOLD or microbial incubation!

I can offer an exact way to calculate how much citric acid to add to your water! (I didn’t like the trial and error method used in this article)
At room temperature (68F-72F) Weigh your water. Now multiply the weight of your water by .59
THAT is the WEIGHT of citric acid to add to your water to achieve a ‘concentrated citric acid solution’

LOL, beware the potency of your ‘new’ edibles!

11 Likes

Come on, someone Guinea up.
I’m pretty happy with my essential oil extractor, but I’m all for easier.

7 Likes

Pretty sharp organic chemist there!
Citric acid is chemically known as tricarboxylic acid…DUH! Passed right by me!!!
I would like to see someone jump on this!
It’s sound chemistry and the results may well be outstanding.
I guess anything new or novel is met with some skepticism, however the cost of food grade citric acid is not prohibitive and who knows, the pharmaceutical value of the terpenes may be fully realized!!

Just thought I’d put this out there for the adventurous and inquisitive!!!

6 Likes

Ok I’ll send this over to Lion and ask him to get to work.

Don’t hold your breath!

Text his old lady too, she loves the cooking.

5 Likes

Bob, Tell me…If I run an EtOh extraction winterized & pulled through a buchner, generate non de-carbed oil and then mixed a Citric acid mix to decarb just the concentrate (I have ~5lbs for brew mash acidification) would that work?
Afterthoughts* I read and re-read… point is I don’t want the plant material in my chocolates/gummies, so I know the EtOH is the dissolvent…is there an alternative.

5 Likes

Dog,

Damn good question but I don’t think that would work…I believe adding the citric acid at that point would be more ‘additive’ and less ‘reactive’. Ethanol is a powerful organic solvent and works great…however you have to realize that ethanol (along with urea and strong acid/bases) actually denatures proteins and some of the terpenes/cannabinoids…they are still there but ‘in pieces’.
This is not detrimental to effect because our bodies metabolize the exract as a ‘whole’.

I can’t say definitively that it wouldn’t work, but I HAVE NO IDEA what amount of citric acid it would require. LOL, if I had a HPLC sitting in my lab, that would be a fun one to analyze…but alas that would probably lead me down rabbit holes from which I would never recover!!!

5 Likes

I’ll try it don’t have a whatchamacallit lol…so this works for me, and I got some nice sugar leaves to try it on and two bags of citric acid. Sounds like a weekend project to me.

Marty

6 Likes

Please post back bud…I’m curious…your results and I’ll try to take it yet another step.
My whatchamacallit is a med-grade EO extractor… EtOH not Co2 Supercrit.

5 Likes

Just an afterthought Dog,
If you put your citric acid decarbed plant material in capsules it seems that taste wouldn’t be that much of an issue???

5 Likes

Hey Bob, I’m gonna guess that it will be a sour taste like a lemon ? Was also wondering if Ascorbic acid would work as well? You would get your daily dose of high and vitamin C lol.

Turns out I had to order some citric acid, I thought I had some but turned out both bags were Ascorbic acid Vitamin C.

Marty

5 Likes

No. Sorry Marty…only tricarboxylic acid (citric acid) will do the trick we’re looking for here.

After the decarbing process the citric acid is not intact…not sure of the breakdown product.
Actually, I work a lot with citric acid…it smells wonderful and actually has a sweet flavor with a little tang!

Again, remember if it’s all in a capsule…taste is going to be irrelevant!
With just a quick look at the reaction, it looks like the citric acid (after the decarbing) is going to be some kind of saccharide…

4 Likes

I figured that…lol…that’s why I odered the Citric acid. It’s a Amazon next day thing so should get tomorrow and I’ll work on the potion tomorrow. I also have some caps and a little capsule machine as I buy bags of various herbs and capsule them up to take.

Marty

5 Likes

Great! Looks like you’re going to be the Primo Guinea Pig (PGP) in this quest for high potency edibles!!!

4 Likes

I love edibles…they get you higher longer, not the quick bamb high…which I also like…but a nice long smooth buzz. Eat too much and it can get trippy lol.

Marty

4 Likes