How to Make Tissue Culture Agar - Gelling Agent

Hello Everyone!

Recently, we received a lot of positive feedback on our Tissue Culture Academy series over on YouTube Channel! That’s why we decided to bring the series to you on other platforms as well so you can access it easier.

Tissue Culture Academy : Episode 1

How to Make Tissue Culture Agar - Gelling Agent

1. To start with, take a pitcher and add 800 ml of water to it
  2. Add 4.54g of MS media
  3. Add 30g of sugar
  4. Add 10g of Agar
  5. Add 2ml of plant preservative mixture (Highly recommended but optional step)
  6. Add an additional 200 ml of water
  7. Take 20 8oz containers and pour 50 ml of the mix into each one
  8. Place lids on top of all containers but do not close them fully
  9. Place all containers in pressure cooker for sterilization for 20 mins at 15 PSI

Your gelling agent should be ready once you let it cool down !

Thank you very much for reading,

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have,

See you late!

5 Likes

How long does tissue culture store for?

How do you use tissue culture?? Something I’m totally oblivious too

3 Likes

You can take any part of the plant, store it indefinitely (i assume) and reactivate the cells and make another plant off of the chunk stored.

1 Like

Mad scientist kinda lifestyle

2 Likes

Great insight! Not many folks up on this type of “cloning.” A lot of really big operations have switched to this method to produce the 1000s of plants they need from a single mother! Thanks for the info!! Anybody get down with grafting? I used to do this so that I could keep multiple genetics without taking up so much room for mother plants…

1 Like

I’m a grafter. I used to do bonsai.

@PreyBird1 this is his jammy jam.

4 Likes

Here is a how to.

2 Likes

You have to change the muskagi agar out depending on your temps and light intensity. Ive been able to go 30-40 days and i have to change it. Im trying to get a little fridge set up for it just for a sterile storage area. I have a new light i built for it 1000-3000 lux. But i haven’t gotten serious about it. But after this breeding run finishes. Im going to do another multiplication run. Id like to play around with meristems culturing next.

2 Likes

Would love to see photos of all of this! Amazing!

2 Likes

@ziggyco if you go 2 posts up and click my link to my thread. You can see in detail how its done. I did a step by step how to.
including all required equipment and supplies. With pictures.

3 Likes

Amazing thank you! Going to go let my eyeballs indulge hahha!

2 Likes

I found a wicked talented fella in California that makes custom built cabinets for doing tissue cultures, I think he only works with mid sized to larger operations that can prove legality but he sure makes some professional looking kits anything from Mobil kits to large laminar flow hood style set ups he also has a great sterilization kit combined the larger box with all the bells and whistles goes for about 4000 usd. For another 3000$ usd he will actually fly here and do up my first batch of aseptic cultures with me (have to provide a bed and food/drive) I’ll probably try myself first but if I have problems… It’s an option . Years ago we made out own agar from potato starch for a different type of mycology project, how does pre made agar differ?

2 Likes

I have used agar with mycelium for separating genetics, cloning, etc. but have yet to do tissue culture with plants. Thanks for the post, I look forward to experimenting!

2 Likes

I wonder how often @Plant-Cell-Tech will be getting on…

1 Like

u hit the mother load here there alot of members into breeding

2 Likes

The agar agar used in cell culture is a red seaweed extract, whereas starch is a different polysaccharide (repeating chain of two sugars). Agar agar “sets” at a relatively low temperature (compared to gelatin and other gelling agents) giving it an advantage, and to my knowledge the way the sugars are bonded (called “glycosidic linkages”) inhibit plants from breaking down agar agar into simple sugars (monosaccharides), whereas plants readily break down starches into monosaccharides when they need energy.

Also kudos to @PreyBird1 for his awesome thread on cell culture :+1: shows a step on pH’ing the agar solution prior to autoclaving.

2 Likes

Hello,

For more information, please refer to our YouTube over at this link!

You can also reach out to us on our reddit page to ask your questions specifically about tissue culture!

https://www.reddit.com/r/PlantCellTechnology/

2 Likes

YES, in simple terms, you can think of it as growing plants in a SUPER ULTIMATE MEGA TURBO STERIOID JUICER environment

2 Likes

Yea really sorry about that. We just finished setting up our systems so that users can directly communicate with our scientists , Francisco Palacios and Anjali Singh.

It should be smooth sailing from now on.

Thank you very much for your patience,

Have a happy time growing !

2 Likes