Hypochlorous Acid.....Deep Dive

HOCl …super simple molecule, One Hydrogen, One Oxygen, One Chlorine

9 Likes

If H20 is water and H202 is Hydrogen Peroxide, what is H204?
It’s for drinking silly!!

6 Likes

C21H30O2

R2D2 C3PO & OU812 oooh oooooooh a oooooooh

7 Likes

Hahahahahaha :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

It’s better to be thought of as a fool than to open one’s mouth and rid all doubt.

6 Likes

That’s what we’re talking about!

I’m surprised I never see that show up in stoner tatoos!

7 Likes

Dang gum… skinny with the low down! If I could only utilize these words of wisdom!

6 Likes

Is there anything we can use to lower the pH besides distilled white vinegar?

4 Likes

Tree, Yes actually vinegar is Acetic Acid…Acetic acid will be more concentrated than the white vinegar. 99%+ Acetic acid is called ‘Glacial Acetic Acid’

Glacial Acetic Acid liquifies at about 62F. I would not recommend any other pH Down products simply because we want the sodium in the recipe to combine with acetic acid and become sodium acetate.
I haven’t looked at ALL the pH down formulations…but why risk screwing a good thing up!!
Here is a link to a good source and you can see the pricing for 950ml (1 qt) is very reasonable…be warned it is going to have a very strong vinegar odor, but will take less than vinegar to drop your pH…

Glacial Acetic Acid, 950ml [FGacet] | DudaDiesel Biodiesel Supplies

BTW, I have often used Duda Diesel for chemical reagents in small quantities…their quality is superb and I wouldn’t go anywhere else!!!

6 Likes

Citric Acid

4 Likes

I have bought my machine and am about out of Agrowlyte. Since I’ll have plenty, I’m planning to apply diluted solution to my plants about once a week throughout flower. Last year, I lost some to botrytis, and this spring I lost some, too. I’m hoping, if I spray as a preventative, I’ll avoid all botrytis this time around. Does this seem like a reasonable plan?

9 Likes

It should help! If you are growing outdoors, using a leaf blower early in the morning to blow off moisture in addition to the Hypochlorous Acid just before darkness will help also.

10 Likes

Mr Baker !

It will ABSOLUTELY prevent bud rot (Botrytis). By doing once a week hypochlorous acid applications you are ELIMINATING the inoculate…

In agriculture, we generally won’t wait for a disease to show up…when we are in any stage of development where plant susceptability and weather/environmental align.Wwe spray PRIOR, to minimize inoculum and PREVENT the disease developing.In worst case situations, if we do see signs on infection, at least it is much less widespread and easier to control…

SO PREVENTATIVE sprays for Fungi/Bacteria are instrumental in a control program…

I consider half strength Agrowlyte of full strength generator acid to be Excellent !!!

12 Likes

Thank you @TheMadFlascher ! So the reason for the distilled vinegar is that the non distilled has to many impurities? Sorry just trying to understand this machine a little better before I fire it up

6 Likes

Sure Mud…
The reason ‘distilled’ vinegar is used is that is PRIMARILY acetic acid…any other vinegars are going to have ‘contaminants’ as far as our intended reaction is concerned. The other concern we have with electrolysis is any contaminants at ALL will coat and 'PLATE" the electrodes…in other words, if you chose to use city or well water that contained calcium…pretty soon your anode is going to be coated (or plated) with calcium, and of course, it slowly looses it’s active surface and fails…

Some interesting things I’ve found in commercial units…there’s a couple types. One uses rock salt and glacial acetic acid along with R/O water. Each time the machine is cycled on the polarity is changed on the electrodes and they self clean themselves of any ‘plating’. This machine can produce 1000ppm acid at any pH you desire! ( cost projected is 6-10 cents/Gal depending on selected pH !)

The second type is high dollar and uses R/O water and HCL (Hydrochloric Acid) for the whole process…

8 Likes

Yup I was just getting ready to say that … It bipolar! LoL
Disclaimer - do not EVER believe anything I say ppl of GN …
Actually tho Flash … serious question… Can’t ppl use lemon juice? Or just not in that application?

5 Likes

Lemon juice of course contains citric acid…good stuff, but tends to translocate things into the cell.
Of course acetates will also but it’s a question of degree.

If we’re doing multiple applications of hypochlorous acid, the Sodium can become an issue, so by using vinegar (acetic acid) we’re keeping all the sodium content as sodium acetate.

Another thing to consider with lemon juice is, of course, it’s not just citric acid …there are also other metal cations (Ca, Mg) and sugars. When you’re doing electrolysis you’re splitting the molecules into the +/- sections …and of course they MUST recombine immediately. By using the basics (sodium chloride, acetic acid, water) we have control over the recombinants…we start putting unknown components in there we may loose control over the acid’s strength or stability !

So I guess LoCo it’s one of those KISS !

8 Likes

Just as I suspected… lol

4 Likes

I guess I’ve been mixing too weak a dose. I’ve been doing 1:4 w/ Agrowlyte. Better ramp this ratio up, I suppose!

5 Likes

Hap, what do you make of this hypochlorous acid? Is it part of your regime?

5 Likes

I make it in the Eco 1 machine. One of my plants had Alternaria and 1 heavy fogging of the plant and the tent and it hasn’t returned yet! I swear by it. In the past before I found out about Hypochlorous Acid I would have chopped it down and burned it!

4 Likes