Hypochlorous Acid.....Deep Dive

Nacho, do you use the acid straight from the machine (per Bob’s recommendation), or do you dilute?

4 Likes

Yeah I have the generator or whatever you call it. I don’t have a major problem with pathogens. My indoor I use it more, my outdoor I usually use it when the plants are small and then it’s not necessary again until they’re getting towards the end of bloom. But I do keep a gallon ready to go just in case I spot something. I can immediately load up the fogger and annihilate any problem that may turn up. :+1:t3: I messed around with the machine and making the acid I come to the conclusion but running it three times adding 1 ounce of vinegar each time keeps the pH in the area that is recommended by Bob. The shelf life seems to be working fine and I have concluded that trying to test how strong your solution is is a waste of time. I bought several different kinds of test strips and come to the same conclusion every time and that is that they don’t work.

8 Likes

…I do… :+1:t3:

6 Likes

Mr Baker…

I don’t think the 1/4 dilution is necessarily bad as a weekly preventative…I think a 50/50 is warranted if you see any WPM creeping in, or certainly when we get to bud rot conditions….remember with bud rot you really have to saturate the bud…pythium loves the nicks and crannies close to the stem…

7 Likes

I use the straight solution it hasn’t shown any adverse effect on my plants so far. If growing in a tent it also makes it easier to sterilize the tents between grows!

7 Likes

Not a scientist, but its more to do with the pH me thinks after what I read, @Slym3r shouted at me and I investigated LABS a couple days ago.

6 Likes

Y’all are really too kind! Thank you so much for helping me learn to protect the gals. I’d be screwed without your guidance and wisdom. :slight_smile: Here in SE Virginia, we’re experiencing 90+ heat, 90+ humidity—generally tough conditions. Hoping the hypochlorous acid will be a helpful tool.

10 Likes

It will solve all your problems with those types of stats.

8 Likes

Chris, you are absolutely correct…the distilled vinegar certainly serves dual purposes…Lowering pH is the most important, and secondarily it will immediately combine with free sodium to form sodium acetate !

5 Likes

Hahaha, great rant @happilyretired , I second it!

6 Likes

I bought the Eco 1 generator and ran my first batch of juice yesterday. The instructions had me add 1 L of distilled water, 1 tsp of dist white vin, and 2 g of kosher salt. I ran on the high setting (8 mins) twice. The cool blue light inside the machine made the process entertaining! Looked like I was dissolving a bunch of Alka Seltzer. Lol!

After one 8-min cycle, the product tested around 200 ppm, but I ran i again to be sure. Definitely higher than 200 ppm after the second run. I mixed it 1:1 with some more distilled water and went to town with my pump sprayer. The product smelled like pool water with a hint of vinegar! Haha!

I’ve been keeping up with Agrowlyte, so I don’t have any PM or other trouble at the moment. As such, I can’t say whether the hypochlorous acid from the machine “worked,” but I can say that my plants looked beautiful this morning, and I slept well with the knowledge that I was trying my best to take good care of them. Thanks to each of you for the help you give me!

8 Likes

I can attest to 100% control of WPM on my Zucchini, Squash and Cucumbers in my outdoor garden. By this time of year I’m spraying a gallon of milk every 3-4 days, a to manage it… I run 4 cycles, dbl vinegar, because I want it stronger for storage degradation.

I also use it also as a mouth rinse, per my dental hygienist for control of some perio/ implant issues taste is chlorine/salt and works excellent and tastes better than peroxide.

9 Likes

I’ve heard of people using this stuff in all kinds of contexts. I’m gonna try using it in place of some household cleaners.

6 Likes

Mr. Baker,
Hap and ravenchief have worked out a very good program.
You want to start exactly the way you did…liter R/O or distilled water, 2gms kosher (uniodized) salt, and 1 tablespoon white vinegar.
You will want to run a total of 3 cycles on the number 3 setting. after your first and second cycles add 1 more tablespoon of white vinegar to the mix. This will give you (You can check it) a final pH between 3.5 and 5.5…

Your finished product now has a concentration of over 400ppm hypochlorous acid. With the pH 3.5-5.5 you can store it in any colored (not clear) plastic jug and it will maintain its potency damn near indefinitly!

Half strength apllications on a preventative program once a week or so, and if you get into high bud rot conditions use full strength and SATURATE your buds…Botrytis loves to start in dense tissue situations !

11 Likes

I use another tablespoon. :v:t3::+1:t3:

8 Likes

Thanks Hap!!

Curious…what was your final pH? !

5 Likes

So, for a 1 L batch, how much vinegar should I be adding, total? Should this be added all at once, or a bit at a time, between cycles? Thanks for much for spoon-feeding me. Guess I’m not too quick on the uptake! Lol!

5 Likes

Three tablespoons total … One intial, one after the first cycle, one after the second cycle…at the end of the third cycle…check your pH.

You are shooting for 3.5-5.5 which is the ‘safe range’ actually this is a case where lower pH is most beneficial for long term storage…3.7-3.8 would be great ! If you are using it immediately, just shoot for 5.5 or slightly below.

Just so everyone understands, your machine will produce either hypochlorous OR HYPOCLORITE (Bleach) depending on the pH of the solution…above 6.0 and you are producing more and more bleach…in our range 3.5-5.5 we are safely producing hypochlorous acid.

Again, Do not be afraid of applying this low pH to your plants…remember our stomach acid is low enough to produce hypochlorous acid. It is attached to our white blood cells, and this is what has protected humans from pathogens since the beginning of time !

10 Likes

So it is bleach…lol …chlorine…with a hydrogen booster…zoom zoom…heheh

Marty

7 Likes

No Marty it is hypochlorous acid in the correct pH range…LOL, we don’t need no friggin bleach!

8 Likes