I’m new to all of this

Well as you can tell I’m new not only here but to the cannabis community as well as the whole forum thing. I was never into cannabis growing up. But a friend of mine and my brother both talked me into trying it for pain relief as well as a sleep enhancement. See I was in the Marine Corps and got out in 15’. I am 90% disabled and in a lot of pain everyday. So after seeing the positive effects out weighed the negative I gave it a go. And I sure am glad I did because it’s the most pain free and the best sleep I have gotten in who knows how long. So now I can work in my greenhouse all day with no pain. I love to grow things from lemon and Japanese maple trees to peppers of all heats to my herb garden with 6 types of mint 3 types of basil, rosemary, thyme, and 2 types of sage. So growing things I’m pretty good at. I have pineapples, Venus flytraps, strawberry, gardenias, roses and some succulents in the green house along with my 42 lemon trees and 53 Japanese maples. I know I am in one of those unlucky states that have not yet jumped on board the cannabis train. So after I got some stuff with some seeds (I’m still knew and didn’t know where to find the good stuff apparently) I decided to take my green thumb and put it to work. Wow was I wrong about that. They grew and they grew like weeds pun intended I knew nothing of topping, fanning, sog, of scrog. So after the hvac guy came out to fix our system and “ran into them in my green house” I decided to ditch them for the fact that if I get caught I would loose everything. So I have come here to find inspiration. I plan on building a grow room in my attic. I know not the best but it’s the space I have. Any ways let me know if you have any ideas.

10 Likes

Welcome. You deff came to the right place.

@bullfrog420
@Tygrow78
@devjyarn
@covertgrower
@missiles

Ill grab others as they come to me. Your gonna have alot of fun with that space. These peeps will steer you in the right directions.

Kkustoms is on point too!

3 Likes

Thank you this is going to be a DIY project spending little as possible.

Thats how it starts… lol.

And then you get the growing addiction.

Which apparently you already have by your achievement lol.

3 Likes

I am in a bad state too … just be stealthy and tell no one. The laws will change. Also do you have a dry basement? I find it easier to control my temp and humidity. This is a great place with lots of great people. I too love growing I have 1 lemon 1 mex lime and a tangerine no fruit yet but hoping next year. I also have several Costa rican limes growing from seed in my veg room. My friend sent me the seeds. Maybe we can do ! Plant swap? I am very interested in your carnivorous plants. Glad to help any way I can. I have been growing my own medicine for a couple years now. But here there are sooo many more with lots of exp.

2 Likes

Why thank you very much @Slym3r

1 Like

Great attic space!! How hot does it get where you live? If you have good central air system it will help lots.

1 Like

Controlling the growing environment is going to be the most important. Any inside space cuts off all of the good stuff mother nature gives freely, so we’ve got to do a lot of work to give the plants the right temperature, humidity other things so they grow big and stress free. A small tent with a dialed in environment can produce huge yields (60+ grams per square foot) compared to a larger area with with stressed out plants.

4 Likes

You have a nice space @lacombe82. Attics can be a little trickier to grow in because of temperature swings from season to season. A nice grow tent can help with that and like @devjyarn said you can keep your climate dialed in to grow the best plants possible. Good luck and welcome my friend. Don’t hesitate to ask us for advice on equipment when it comes to building your grow. :v:

2 Likes

So after I did all my planning and with the resources I have I am planning on making a 4w x 6l x 6h room. I’m just going to use foam board insulation then cover that with panda film. To keep the inside temperature more controlled. My bath room has two vent fan, so I’m taking one and making it an intake so I’m pulling 70• temp into plus a little co2 from what we exhale in the house I know it’s not much. Then I got another vent fan from Lowe’s on clearance for 7 bucks so that’s going to be my exhaust fan going to the outside. Intake is bottom exhaust is top opposite sides. Then I have a little 6” fan I’m going to put in there. With four led grow lights. I’m also going to get some of the rgb led strips and put those around the bottom edge. Just to test it out. My set up is going to be one 20 gallon bucket flowing into 4 4 gallon pool chlorine buckets that I have wash out multiple time and got the ph levels in plain water down to 6.5 - 7. I made some net pots by drilling extra holes in some of the pots I already had laying around the greenhouse. I also have a 4 way air pump so I will put one stone in each grow bucket. For my median I’m going to use lava rock. Is there anything I am missing or that I should change up. I do have 6 kids so remember budget. Also thank you @Slym3r for getting some people in here to help out. Thank you @devjyarn and @Tygrow78 I’m thinking the extra insulation will help keep the temp from swing to much. And @kkustom I would love to swap some time. I live in North Carolina where we have all four seasons it does get hot in the attic during the summer and cold during the winter but I don’t have any other space to grow right now. So this will have to work and I will just keep an eye on temp and humidity levels. And here are a few pictures of some of my plants.
@bullfrog420
@devjyarn
@covertgrower
@missiles

5 Likes

Love the Venus fly traps, those things never grow for me

2 Likes

You should look at horticulture lighting group for some fixtures that can cover a little better than your RGB strips. Those lack a lot in intensity.

2 Likes

I knew you had the bug. Lol. Your gonna do great.

1 Like

Hlg for lights for sure. There are many threads here to read up on specs and the usage from the other growers here. Kinda the best way to check out the lights. Lol

What the fuck is going on Leather Balls!!! That’s rite…Semper Fi buddy!!! Hahahaha If you got any questions I can help you with hit me up. Hell, I got beans for you too. No worries. So, quick bio: I was in Jacksonville for a few years. In fact, I had an attic similar to yours and I grew in it for a while in NC. I grew in Jacksonville and in Wilmington. I grew awesome stuff there. I did 4 in the corps, assessed into a specialty team and was switched to the Army. Hahaha that was a military culture shock. Hahaha anyway, I got jacked up on a couple of my jumps and a couple hard chinook slams. Broke lots of bones lots of times. Hahaha I was medically retired after the desert trip and the VA was and still is a shit show. They hid my records for years. I am one of the guys who’s records where so tampered with and they got caught, did a huge audit. Anyway…I’ve had over a dozen tbi, I am a full insomniac,my record is 10 days straight no sleep, I wake up on sleep meds, and I have tons of other crap to include arthritis now. Cannabis has helped me so much that I’m off ALL VA meds!!! At one time They wanted me on a Permanent script for oxy. Uhg So again brother,I understand and if you need anything just hit me the hell up. Never forget…Always fighting, Always forward!
Now to the grow…I had built my 300th commercial grow room by 2010, specializing in hidden grow rooms at that. I stopped counting, but if there is any advice I can give or help you with let me know. If I don’t have an answer I just tell you out rite. I won’t do any bullshitting. I do all the electrical, havoc, plumbing…everything myself. Lots of knowledge in my mellon!!!

10 Likes

@bullfrog420 Damn it’s about time I found some one that understands the pain. Mines not as bad as yours but I was artillery for 12 years and slinging those rounds in 2 deployments and then all the cacs we did sure put a hurting on my back knees and neck. But yes NC attic grow is what I have to do because buy an O is just putting a hurting on my wallet. Anyways I will be following your giant ass room build. Honestly I have not read any of it I just looked at the pictures. So you may have said but what type of grow are you doing. Anyways I will be posting some pictures of my small ass cheap ass build as it goes.

4 Likes

So so true slym3r!!

@Slym3r I love your input so far along with @covertgrower on the hlg but I don’t have the moneys for them right now I need to go cheaper. I understand that some of these light are better then others and that I will not get the best grow with some of them but there has to be something cheaper out there that could make a descent light for now. I don’t know if you read the part of me having 6 kids. And with one of them being totally disabled things are pretty tight oh and I don’t work because I stay home to take care of said Baby Romy. We do have a Facebook page set up for him if you all would like to check it out. #Romyismyhomie. I look forward to any input y’all may have. And I don’t mean to sound rude again I do appreciate the help.

1 Like

Check out Mars Hydro, they make a good lineup of led lights with a decent price point. Check out the TS series or the SP series, sp being the higher line models and a bit more money though the TS series will work fine for a full cycle run

2 Likes

We will get you hooked up on whatever budget you need. No worries. The best for your set up!

2 Likes