Introduce yourself!

Welcome aboard @oganalytical! Have things settled down in Oregon with the testing backlog yet?

Sorry to hear about your mom’s struggle with MS and glad to hear that it inspired you to start your own testing company.

2 Likes

Welcome @oganalytical! Good to see laboratory facilities represented! We’ve heard great things about your labs. Do you plan on adding laboratories in other states as well?

2 Likes

Hi @nicholas, There doesn’t seem to be any backlog issues at this point, but there’s still a lot of pushback against the new testing rules. The Oregon Health Authority has put together a new Rules Advisory Committee for this legislative session that will address the industry’s concerns and attempt to finalize a new set of rules. It is my hope that consumer safety maintains priority, but I fear that there is a lot of pressure on the legislature to prioritize the bottom line for producers.

4 Likes

Thanks for the welcome, @Hunter! If things go well for us in Oregon this year, we hope to expand to other states in the coming years. Our accreditation requires us to produce and maintain a comprehensive Quality Manual, which is basically a beautiful guidebook for operating an accredited laboratory and a shoe-in for achieving accreditation!

4 Likes

Hey @oganalytical or Bethany! I assume your facility does terpene testing too!? Do you keep the terpene profiles for each strain you test, and if so would you be willing to share that information?

2 Likes

Hello,
Thanks, Nicholas, for hosting this forum. I imagine it’ll be a help to many growers in refining their techniques.
I’m not a grower; I’m a marketing writer focused on the cannabis industry. Writing technical content - like white papers, case studies and product descriptions - requires an in-depth knowledge of the needs of the cannabis plant and its cultivators.
I hope to help the community by understanding its unfulfilled needs and ultimately reflecting that to product manufacturers.
Cheers to growth in 2017!

6 Likes

Hi @jbohannan8 - nice to have you on the community. I know there’s a big demand out there for good marketing and content in the cannabis industry so I’m sure some folks on here will hit you up.

3 Likes

I interviewed a number of LED manufacturers at the Indo Expo in Denver. A couple of those guys claimed that UVB is desirable because of the stress response of the plant: increased production of trichromes. They are thought to shield against the more intense UVB light. And everybody likes trichromes :wink:

6 Likes

I wonder if UVB would help to frost the rest of this plant (In House Army’s -Platinum Buffalo - Platinum Pheno)?

5 Likes

Lumigrow is a awesome company. Claifornia light works also has a very economical LED their solarsystem 550 which has produced amazing results for drawing 400w. The Analysis of Variation for all ten LED participating companies will be ready this summer. Feel free to reach out if you want to see some light measurements.

5 Likes

Hello Community, I’m Josh, one of the managers of Strain Balboa Caregivers in Los Angeles. We’re a Pre-ICO, Prop D compliant collective (I realize this means nothing to anyone outside of LA, but it means we’re a fully legally operating collective). Thanks for welcoming us to the community! I’m curious to see where this goes. I’ve used cannabis forums for years, so if this really does stay as an industry-only forum it could be amazing! … such as no more flame wars over what temp to purge BHO at. I have a Bachelor’s in Organic Chemistry and been a regular cannabis user for 11 years now. Let’s learn something new :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi there @strainbalboacaregive. We’re planning on keeping this just for cannabis professionals rather than including hobbyist growers, for just the reason you mention.

4 Likes

Hey, my background is as follows: practiced law in SF, Silicon Valley and Taipei, Taiwan for eleven years. I own and operate an insurance agency, CBZ Insurance Services which provides Property Casualty insurance, Workers Comp, Product Liability, Directors & Officers and a host of others as well as medical, dental, vision… for those in the Cannabis industry or servicing the Cannabis industry. I have spoken throughout the country on panels for compliance and insurance coverages. I have had cannabis clients for over ten years. We have clients mostly in CA, but nationwide. I have lived in San Francisco for 32 years. Let’s connect.

5 Likes

Welcome @jeffrey! Thanks for sharing info on CBZ Insurance and the services you offer.

3 Likes

Hey guys! I am the General Manager at AlphaRoot, an insurance and technology platform for Cannabis & Agriculture businesses. I’ve been in the startup space in various capacities for the past 10+ years (mobile, social, cloud, apps) , a member of a 14 person team that was acquired by IBM, and an LP in Sound Board Angel Fund. We think insurance is a pain yet something that is necessary especially for Cannabis business from a compliance standpoint. My goal with AR is to create the most efficient way for Cannabis and ag companies to reduce risk, stay compliant, and safely grow their businesses.

I am also a U of A alum (BTFD!) and loved meeting the Growers Network founders in Vegas a few months back.

Looking forward to connecting with the Growers Network as the community continues to expand!

6 Likes

I’m the founder of the Canadian Cannabis Supply Company. A vertically oriented startup that is preparing for the legalization of Cannabis in Canada in the coming months. It’s an exciting time in the Cannabis industry. Time to come out of the ‘closet’… Looking forward to sharing and discussing with other professionals in this forum.

6 Likes

Welcome @jeff ! It was great meeting you at the MJ Biz Conference. We are excited to see how your company scales given the rising demand in your sector. You already have an impressive list of customers; you should invite them all to join the forum! Glad to see a fellow Wildcat on here. BTFD!

1 Like

@jbohannan8 would love to here more from your interviews. I’ve created a thread in UV to share my work with UV in horticulture. My company is the largest manufacturer of UV LEDs and I’ve been researching it in this field for almost a year but have been studying UV and plants for several years. Would to chat when you got a sec.

3 Likes

Welcome @jeffrey, @jeff, and @nathan!

@jeffrey - It’s good to see insurance getting into the cannabis space. Like any other agricultural industry… s*** happens! That’s what insurance is for.

@jeff - How do you plan to help compliance with AlphaRoot? Is it like a checklist for risk aversion? I’m curious.

3 Likes

Hey @Hunter! Thanks for the interest. Regarding compliance, we have partnerships and software integrations (currently in the works) with a few new technologies. One for example is a software that uses checklists from Vicente Sederberg (Law Firm) to check for update regs in realtime.

AlphaRoot will use these reports to help reduce the cost of insurance policies in conjunction with the carrier, for growers, cultivators, dispensaries etc. We basically want to go to the carrier and say Hunter’s grow is clearly above board, compliant, clean, here is the report…and because of that we expect a reduced cost.

6 Likes