JNL5 - First Grow Journal - Twenty20 Mendocino Whiskey Zulu auto

Off and running!
You have to be so proud!

2 Likes

Great start to a fantastic grow. Best of luck and be safe.

4 Likes

Looking great so far! It’s so exciting to see theim grow after popping out of the dirt!

2 Likes

@Jimhigh66 - proud and addicted! :fist:

@LasVegas7 - dank you for the kind words :smiley:

@OlyBoy - I couldn’t agree more! I sit there staring through the viewing window like i’m going go magically see it shoot up :joy: I’m soaking in the newb experience :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Few days since last update. Checked in on Zu just before she was a full 7 weeks old

-

Tonight at lights on (middle Day 9)

Got a soil moisture meter, soil was pretty dry even after giving ~0.5 L feed yesterday. I tested the meter using my medium in a Solo cup, gradually wetting the medium and retesting to ensure the meter was reading correct (as far as I could agree with anyways). Fed until it was lightly moist (took another 0.5 L) with a mixture of 1/100 strength (each) BioRoot and CALiMAGic (pH 6.2ish). Happy grows :v::heart::smiley:

2 Likes

Zu keeps doing this wave of her 3-blade leaves (one kinda canoes up, the other downwards) during lights out, corrects herself during lights on…I think it’s a transpiration thing, prolly gotta get the humidity dialed better at lights out.

Day 11

She keeps kicking out new growth though…think Zu’s going to start vegging hard soon 🪴💚

3 Likes

She looking great!

2 Likes

Dank you @OlyBoy! Watching your auto thread and training closely (please feel free to drop some pics on here as you bend them!), i’m hoping Zu gains another inch or so in the next couple days so I can gently start bending :muscle:

2 Likes

Here they are today pointing north.

3 Likes

Love everything about that pic…the ladies, your color-coded rims, and the background scenery are on point :ok_hand:

What are you using to tie down (looks like rubber coated wire)? I’ve seen pipe cleaners and string used, but I have a whole spool of floral wire (rubber coated) that I was thinking about trying :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I like this stuff a little better.

It’s pretty stiff and bendable. And sturdy enough to stick deep in the soil.

And it’s cheap.

4 Likes

Much appreciated :pray:

Took the follow up question out me head :wink::metal:

3 Likes

Might I follow along and watch? Love to see the babies from start to finish…:grin::v::call_me_hand:

4 Likes

Thanks for checking in @bow4buck All are welcome in the land of Zutopia :smiley: I’m very open to critique too…so feel free to unleash any comments (good/bad) as you see fit, post pics of your ladies (I am following your 2nd indoor journal too but go for it!), and enjoy the show (can’t promise it’ll be good) :pray::raised_hands:

Now for an update, started incorporating this T5 Finisher Bulb on one of the T5 fixtures 1-2 hours before lights out. In flower i’m going to run this, extra photo red LEDs, and the RapidLED Far Red (730 nm) initiator puck for my lights out routine (the photo and far reds will stay on 15 min after lights out).

Compared to the 6400K spectrum in the Sunblaster bulbs I use through the majority of lights on

Pardon the overexposed pic, needed flash to see the new growth at the first node

Day 12

8 Likes

Danks @OlyBoy for the training wire suggestion

Yesterday (Day 14 - started very gentle LST), using floral wire and twist ties :+1:

Today using Oly’s wire :+1::+1: :raised_hands:

5 Likes

Looking Great!!

3 Likes

Dank you @twenty20, appreciate the kinds words and you checking in!

Day 16 jamming to some reggae Pandora with Bob on 4/20

Added ducting to exhaust fan finally!

And started incorporating a PureUV (75% UVB/ 25% UVA) T5 bulb from AgroMax at “midday”…started with 5 min and ramping up daily

Zu hated me opening the tent for so long to work on the ducting…started getting a little droppy
from the humidity drop, but perked back up (after pics below) once she realized I was just giving her some new toys. Side growth seems to burst out at the new nodes right as they come out!

Day 17

6 Likes

Day 19 - every node has new branching, letting her grow vertically to open up room for light penetration. UV treatment up to 30 min/day, goes up to 1 hr tomorrow.

Zu’s approaching her artificial “summer solstice”…started at 18/6 and have been gradually (+30 min every 4 days) ramping to 21/3…at 20/4 right now. Then will gradually drop during flower and incorporate 3000K T5HO bulbs in place of the blue 6400Ks (going one of each during pre-flower).

I know I should’ve kept it simple my first grow, but the science side of me says that’s no fun…let’s introduce some variables so if things go wrong it’ll be impossible to pinpoint what happened :nerd_face: :joy: plus being hybrid onsite/wfh during the pandemic this is the only time i’ll be able to have this much hands on during a grow, so F it. I’m having a blast!

3 Likes

You really do a great job keeping your journal up to date.
Very thorough, informative, and a true prototype for a grow journal.
Students like you really screwed up the grading curve for students like me. :man_shrugging:t2:
We would not have hung in the classroom brother, but out of school you and I would have blazed the CHEEBA✊

4 Likes

Agree! @1sttimegrower Here is a good journal to follow along. Jaxon is about two weeks ahead of you with his seedlings.

4 Likes