Katmwall first grow!

Thanks lol live in SOCAL as well and this heat is wild plus the fires/smoke/smog- Lighting is going to be one of the most important things you get Are you growing inside? Got a DIY set up myself in my spare closets…Check out https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtU2-cpxx18iQ4BvracrxDQ....Learned alot from this channel plus great music(my opinion) he uses a lot of auto flowers but the older videos show him using photoperiods with organic amendments…You used a light to germinate the seeds? Any pictures?

1 Like

Starting inside and will likely be trying a mixed light grow…sun when i’m at work and indoors under full spectrum at night (18/6 or 20/4 cycles depending on need).

Germination has all been in the dark…I start by soaking seeds in distilled water in shot glasses placed in the cupboard. Then after 36 hours I move them onto two sheets of moist paper towel (ppt) on a plate, cover with two sheets of moist ppt, and cover with another plate (also did some in ppt in a open plastic baggie…put in the dark in the closet). Sorry, my post made it seem like I was going to use the full spectrum LED for germination…meant it as “i’m getting it to use once I plant the germed seeds in soil”.

Thank you for the link, I will check it out!!! :smiley:

As for the full spectrum bulb, I found this one to give me some control:

…any thoughts?

1 Like

@katmwall - sorry to post my woes here. Realized my posts are taking up your thread so i’m going to start my first post soon to not overload your thread with my bs :wink:

1 Like

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Electric-14-in-86-Watt-Integrated-Full-Spectrum-LED-Non-Dimmable-Indoor-High-Bay-Plant-Grow-Light-Fixture-Daylight-GLP14FS-HB-80W-LED/302218291...Current using 3 of these. Just added my 3rd on yesterday…the light could work for a while but you will need to get more power(watts,pars etc). have you done any research on germinating seeds? a little more science then it seems lol

@admiller1107 I totally don’t mind you using my thread for questions! I had the same ones and will have similar questions to you because we are going about this in similar ways. (I also posted my questions on someone else’s feed before Like you are now, so no worries :joy:.) We’re all in this together and want to see each other succeed. It does help having your own grow journal though like this thread is for me. I post my progress and people can give me a heads up if I’m doing things wrong or if I can improve stuff. It’s very helpful and fun to keep a log! My years in biology labs that required me to keep lab notebooks are paying off!

6 Likes

I was waiting to see if others would chime in… but for your soil question. I’d add some perlite to that FF ocean forest In my opinion, the plants that I’ve done that with can breathe and drain better and seem much happier. So maybe 25-35% perlite the rest ocean forest. :+1:t4:

2 Likes

I know perlite comes in different sizes. would size 3 be okay? So like 25% perlite, 50% ocean forest and 25% worm castings? Would that be a pretty decent soil mix for lucky?

@admiller1107 hey dont buy that light! I urge you dont buy anything more. Hit me up i have a lot of light experience from cheap up to stupid expensive light prices. And all kinds of equipment!

3 Likes

9/13/2020
I ordered perlite size 3 today and the FF ocean forest potting mix. I got most of my equipment!! My light came in and it’s killing me that I can’t set it up yet. My grow tent has yet to arrive so I’m stuck with my Home Depot setup until then :woman_facepalming:t3: I have added a hygrometer to the setup and the temp has been staying around 75 degrees F which I think is good?

I think the range is 75-85 for ideal growth but someone PLEASE correct me if I’m wrong. My humidifier and humidifier control thingy also arrived. I turned the humidifier on in the room and just left it on since it’s currently in an open floor plan room. I don’t think the humidity will get all that high when it’s in an open room but I’m hoping it increases it a little bit and makes a better environment for lucky. Speaking of lucky here it is today!! it’s dark green (which I think is a good thing) and the leaves towards the top aren’t curling. I pH balanced the water today before I gave it to lucky. pH was 5.6 of the water. I think it’s supposed to be between 5.5 and 6.5 but once again, someone please correct me if I’m wrong. Still waiting on my floranova grow to arrive to be able to start giving it nutrients. It’s 3 gallon fabric pot also arrived. I’m wondering when you’re supposed to transplant it into the bigger pot. Should I wait till it’s a bit bigger or transplant it as soon as I get the soil and perlite?

1 Like

Transplant it as soon as you can. The sooner the better.
5.8ph - 6.0 is where i like to be.

2 Likes

I was sick of waiting for my grow tent so I have clipped my LED light to my curtain rod for now. I think lucky needs the extra light now that the sun isn’t shining as brightly anymore and I can’t afford to keep waiting for my grow tent to arrive, let alone for me to also set it up. I had to get a new timer because my light required a ground in the outlet. I have both lights on it now so I’m hoping it starts to grow faster. I finally got a watering can and a bucket for when my nutrients arrive. I’m still waiting on amazon. :expressionless: I’m going to transplant lucky as soon as all the stuff for me to make the soil arrives! It’s 3 gallon fabric pot and it’s water tray are ready to go. Here’s the current setup. I know it’s kinda ghetto the way I set it up but I think it will work until I get the grow tent.

Temperature is now staying around 80-84 degrees. I can’t keep the humidity up but I’m leaving the humidifier on anyway in hopes that it is helping a little. I’m so excited it’s gotten bigger! I feel like mother hen worrying about her chicks with lucky and I don’t even know if it’s a girl yet. :joy: I can’t wait to start my next grow when my tent is set up and I can start off running instead of limping along like I have been. Thank god for this forum and for the people on it that are helping me because I’m pretty sure lucky would be dead right now without their help. Thanks guys! Oh and a question for you: how do I get my light to hang lower in my grow tent? the thing that hangs it to the ceiling doesn’t adjust so I think I’ll have to hang it by something else. I saw someone use a chain to hang a light from. Is that common and is it safe? Also where should the humidity stay at when I finally do set up my grow tent? Currently it’s hovering around 50%.

2 Likes

That light is too high up 1st off.

These. You can never have enough of these. You can hang everything on these.

Keep this chart do not lose it. This is the cheat sheet and the secret to life …for weed anyways… lol

1 Like

@PreyBird1 I saved this chart the first time you posted it in my feed. :wink: does the box that correlates with the humidity and temp tell you how many oz to expect? I guess I’m a little confused how to use it. Am I aiming for a color? I have been saving everyone’s charts when I see them because I know they will be helpful. I thought the light might still be too high right now :sob:, I put my plant on top of bowl to try to get it a little closer. I’ll try to find something taller since I can’t lower the light right now. I’ll definitely invest in some of those hangers. Can I use them to hang my inline fan and carbon filter as well?

How is this? Is it close enough now? I’m using a 540W LED.

2 Likes

@katmwall what kind of light is it? And it’s probably not 540 watts unfortunately

@Maz this is the light that I purchased: Prism Lighting Science Stealth LED Grow Lights - 530W | direct from Growers House

Is it going to be okay for growing my plants? :pleading_face:

1 Like

well not really…:cry: sorry. Um do not buy anything expensive like lights without asking us for help we will not do you wrong!.

6 Likes

Prey will guide you right.

2 Likes

:sob: oh no. I think the best I can do is get store credit for growers house.com. I don’t think they do full returns. Anyone have experience with returning something there? What light would you recommend that i get that won’t break the bank? :sob::sob::sob:

1 Like