Leaves curling, should I be concerned?

Hello everyone!

My plant is almost 2 weeks old and the leaves are starting to curl pretty bad on the bottom. Does anyone know why the leaves might be doing this and whether it’s normal? I would hate for my plant to die. :pleading_face: Currently I have it on a windowsill with a supplemental light. It’s tent, grow light, and nutrients are in the mail currently. I’m hoping they arrive soon so I can move my plant to a better environment. I have been watering with just regular filtered water for now.

2 Likes

looks fine, make sure not to over water it when its this small.

2 Likes

Thank you!!! Im watering maybe once every other day or every 3 days. I’m really trying not to overwater it. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Leaf curl can suggest PH imbalance. What is the ph of your water? Also, if your filter is an RO filter, you will need to add some minerals in the form of cal-mag back into the feed (before adjusting PH). I shoot for for a PH of around 5.5-5.8 at this stage.

Overall it’s not un-healthy.

1 Like

Not sure yet. The ph balance system and the ph digital reader are in the mail. I have just been hoping that filtered water from my fridge was good enough for now until those things arrive in the mail. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

According to my pH testing strips that we use for our hot tub, the pH is over 7.0 right now. Is there a way to naturally reduce the pH a little bit without spending a ton of $$$?

1 Like

Go to home depot and buy some ph up/down. I think they call theirs Black Magic.

Or add nutrients of course. Nutes will lower the ph.

But lets take a step back. How can we lower the PH of anything? By adding something acidic. Google is your friend. As a grower there will be many issues you run into, but resist the urge to run to the forum and ask before you’ve considered it and researched it a bit. At least get a working understanding of the principles at play, so that the advice you receive here is more useful to you.

Good luck, and don’t forget to have fun, even in your failures! That’s where you will learn the most.

Lecture over. Maybe try some lemon juice?

4 Likes

That’s what I was thinking but I didn’t know they sold pH down at Home Depot! I thought you could only buy it online. (Still very very new to buying things for cannabis and where you can get them) If they sell it there then I’ll go get that for now until my kit comes in the mail. I want to give my plant the best chance to grow. I have been doing quite a bit of research and this forum isn’t usually the first place I turn to for questions but I’ll try to cut down on them I guess. I own the cannabis grow bible and have been doing extra research online. Everyone just seems to know what they are doing here so it makes it easy to ask lots of questions. :disappointed: edit: sometimes I also get conflicting information from the internet so it makes it difficult to know what to trust.

Don’t take that the wrong way. Don’t be scared to ask questions. Lots of them!

Just take a minute first. I find i can sometimes answer my own question that i was about to rattle off.

I do notice a lot of first-time (and experienced) growers fall into the trap of thinking inside the “cannabis box”, and forget that there are lots of products not marketed directly for cannabis that can be useful. Plus they are usually cheaper. We’re dealing with a plant after all.

As for conflicting information on the the internet. I hear you. Welcome to the fun. You have to be discerning, see where your information comes from (is this member active in other threads? are those comments lucid? are they using a similar system to you?). Eventually you’ll have to see for yourself what works and doesn’t. Remember there are lots of different growing systems and what might work for someone in one situation/setup, might not work in another. There are lots of good forums out there in addition to this one, and while searching through some threads might not answer you question directly, it will likely provide some education about the topic you’re wrestling with. We’ve all been there.

I think you’re doing great so far. Don’t be scared to reach out and ask questions. And don’t be scared to have no idea what you’re doing. Also, don’t expect to hit it out of the park your first grow. I can tell you are passionate about growing healthy plants, but just give it your best, keep learning, and have patience!

Feel free to DM me if you run into issues down the road, i’ll do my best to help.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Also, if you have ph adjuster coming, don’t go buy more. Lemon juice or vinegar should work fine.
Start with a few drops and see where that gets you.

2 Likes

I will give lemon juice or vinegar a try! I checked Home Depot and it’s only available to order so I’m going to have to get creative to drop the pH. Thank you so much for the advice And the offer for help. You are right that I am falling into the cannabis trap but I’m learning so much from everyone’s posts on this forum and I’m so grateful for all your help that hopefully I’ll get out of that mindset. I did NOT know what I was getting into when I germinated that seed but I’m determined to get it right. Even if it takes a few tries. I’ll be stoked if my plant is female, let alone if I get a harvest. I did grow my little one from bag seed so I don’t have enormous expectations for it. I’m hoping it’s a female and that I can harvest it and then start a new batch from purchased seeds (so I know the genetics) after this one now that I’m getting all the equipment that I need :grin:. This definitely won’t be my only grow, just the first of many!

3 Likes

You’ve got the right idea. Get your environment + system somewhat dialed before you spend the money on genetics. Good luck and happy growing!

3 Likes
2 Likes

Get some Silica and NPrime by TPS NUTRIENTS. I don’t get paid for the product I like to use for this stage of growth. ALWAYS ADD SILICA FIRST THEN YOUR OTHER NUTRIENTS. AT THE SAME TIME DO YOU BEST TO KEEP YOUR PPM LEVEL LOW FOR THE PLANTS STAGE OF GROWTH. HAPPY HARVEST IN JUST AROUND THE CORNER. :+1::fire::fire::seedling::seedling::speaking_head::speaking_head::dollar::dollar::moneybag::moneybag:

2 Likes

A lot of BM stuff is on sale at home depot and lowes FYI

3 Likes

Sounds crazy but you have to check out a RESTAURANT DEPOT. They have EVERYTHING you need. DIY BIG TIME.

3 Likes

That was one of my go to places. Now next to the HD is Doggie World and then Restaurant Depot and it’s soooooo much more and I can’t find any place to meet their prices.

1 Like

I was just reading your post with the icon image ofpeople, it’s a guess. So I would like to have some of your knowledge and experience with the leach/salt’s built up . What do you believe is the best way to transition from pre Flower stage? I’m a large farmer bin that is used to gather fruits and vegetables ++ FDA, Organically made to the rope handles that I Do cut off for a better vap sealed and it has DIY quick connect 3.5×3.5×3/4" pine wood that I. The other variables I can give you but it’s a lot of information to read. Any of your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

PH 5.5-5.8 is not going to work in soil. Soil requires a ph in the 6.5 range for proper nutrient uptake. This is only important when nutrients are mixed in. Using just water you don’t need to worry about ph.

2 Likes

That’s a good point, i forgot to mention that lower ph is for initial stages. I usually creep it up from 5.5 in clone, to 5.8 at this stage, to then 6.2-6.5 for the majority. I learned this from another grower, i guess the thought is that the lower ph initially prioritizes Nitrogen update, and then moves into a more balanced nutrient uptake at the ph gets into that money zone (for soil), but that’s just a theory at this point. I’m sure you could accomplish the same thing by tweaking your nutes.

Curious what other folks do. Do you keep your PH consistent throughout or do you vary it by life-cycle stage?

1 Like