Let’s talk Rosin and E-Liquid

I truly hope we can have great, inspiring and insightful conversations here!

A couple questions to start off this topic:
A: What am I doing wrong that I am not getting a liquid, vaporisable form? Scroll down for more info on my extraction process

B: How do you decarb your rosin?

C: What are your favourite pressing temperatures?

D: How much Rosin do you add compared to e-liquid?

E: Anything that could be insightful for a reader in this topic :slight_smile:

My experience so far:
To make it clear, I am a beginner in the world of concentrates. Everything I share, is experimental and for private use.

It is my idea to replace smoking rolled joints with vaping rosin oil.

Below I will share my DIY experience in the world of concentrates

Life is great so laugh at/with me as much as you want, but please end with positive feedback!

First press: 6 grams 24k gold hashish

30 Micron bags 84 degrees celsius, first slowly added pressure and eventually on full pressure I pressed for about 90 seconds.

As you can see on the picture I got a blow out but luckily it was not a complete mess and I was able to separate the good part. The result was 1.0 gram of rosin (paper weight 0.7g, 0.1g blow out).

For decarbing I bought an oven plate with silicone closing including a thermometer to check temperature. For 50 minutes I have changed the temperature between 100-120 degrees.

To get the maximum out of my presses I try to scrape the oils that stick to the glass or any other material off with rolling papers. (This has gotten me the most fun in terms of smoking so far)

After the 50 minutes I added 1 ml PG, 0.3 ml VG and 1 drip of 24k gold Cali terpenes, hoping this would turn my rosin into a tasty vaporisable form.
After heating the mixture for 10 minutes on 100 degrees celsius , (with trouble) was able to put the mixture into 2 cartridges. But soon I realised my first product did not end as planned, every time when my concentrate cools down it turns back into the form that is too thick to vape.

Now I have seperated most of the concentrate from the cartridges and am thinking what to do with it… I have dabbed a couple hits and the strength of the dab was varying a lot, I think this is because all the liquid was not mixed properly.

Press 2: 5 Gram kief from a grower friend

This time I wanted change a couple things:

1. More focus so no picture during process
  2. Got the tip to freeze the kief/flower/hash as much as possible prior to use so I made 1.2g bags and put them back in the freezer for 1 day.
  3. For the decarbing proces I bought a baby bottle warmer to be able to decarb for a longer time without having to be close.
  4. Pressing strategy was the same as press one, increase PSI slowly till full press, then 90 second press.

30 micron bags with 90 degrees, 4 bags with 1.2 grams.
The total result was 1g good looking rosin and no blow out.

First decarbed the rosin in my oven plate for 50 minutes on 110 degrees celsius and then for 36 hours in the baby warmer between 80 and 100 degrees.

As we speak the rosin is in my freezer and it will be curing in there for 7 days.

Once cured will add a yet to be deciced amount vg and pg for attempt #2

I’m looking forward to reading your comment!

2 Likes

Which vape are you using? Why did you choose yours and does it fulfil your wishes?

1 Like

Please recommend me what to buy!

I bought the PCKT2 as my first vape and I have concluded I like literally everything, except the most important part: the drawing power capacity… I’m only able to get small draws and this is starting to get frustrating.

The PCKT2 is perfect for outdoor activity’s with family or other situations where you don’t wan’t to get too high but now I am missing the part that I actually love, getting REALLY high :slight_smile:

I am looking to buy 1 portable vape and 1 desktop vape that can vape rosin and oils, and also give me the ability to take bigger hits.

Please let me know which product you are using and why!

I read thru the forum and thought maybe I should chime in my 2 scents. Ive been a ghost on here cuz of constant log in problems with the site itself. Uhg, anyway…here goes…… DONT USE VG OR PG for any of your carts!!! Your carts should be made as pure and clean as possible. The only thing I add is a slight bit of terps. The mix I read on here they said like 3 plus drops per .5 cart…too much…i only do about 1-2ml per oz of distilate. Rosin is a bit different, but throwing it on heat at 115 degrees is not decarbing anything. To decarb you need higher heat(all depending what your wanting activated; cbg, cbn, cbd, thc, etc.) and for specific amounts of time. The heat for a period of time I feel its more of just heating it to thin it up, while trying to not burn off terps. For the ones using the ardent devices…I love them…i own a few of the Ardent fx and I use them just for decarbing. I can decarb about anything in that. I dont use it for infusing tho, i use all of my magic butter machines for that. The filteration bags are awesome, mini-bubble bags,and clean your stuff nice, hint hint hint. The ardent fx is by far the best product that company has made so far. They gave me a custom discount code to give out, but they are cheezy and its too small(8%). They have bigger deals every other month on their web site.
Pressing: 165 for keif sounds like a good start for you. My kief is usually around 165-175, sometimes a little higher depending,bubble or ice washed I run similar, as low as possible while still getting returns. Lol for dry herb i am up between 200-210, and i fold and repress my rosin chips at about 220, i squeeze out another 1-4 grams of oil. What else….hmmm…theres so much knowledge in my head and with the numerous tbi(tramatic brain injuries) from the military its hard to make sure I covered all that I wanted with the info. I got way more for you guys but I need to go smoke to get my brain to slow down so i can focus better. Lol this is daily. Lol here are some pics of my lab and press and stuff. I basicaly am a farm to bowl guy. Been doing this on a commercial level hidden for over 20 yrs now. Im not saying Im always write either, but I do have tons of experience to share. I breed, grow, harv, blast, press, wash, and so mich more. Too bad we dont have web cam and chat use here cuz id just turn the cam on and show you guys live. Im supposed to be keeping up with the youtube videos,but I am a slacker to the highest power…Semper Fi!!!
Pics below,i put up a couple of my grow pics, the darker colored rosin was an overly dry- dry herb press. The yellow is diamonds in terp sauce my buddy made…had to show it,i threw up a filled cart pic, even my cart fill gun…,then theres my press at the bottom of the pics good times. Hope this is not an over post. Hahaha
@PreyBird1 @bobette @Slym3r @mrwonderful @chrisj lots more but forgot. Lmao

14 Likes

Thanks for sharing all the info! You got me very excited and a little jealous at the same time haha.

Have you noticed a difference in yields with different amounts. So for example: a 7g press gets worse results as 14g press?

I think we would all truly love it if you could show us a thing or two on live cam with voice! I was thinking of starting a discord server and this would give you the opportunity to share cam and do voice calls and also we can organise all info better. Let me know your thoughts :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi @greenmagic3 and welcome! I have only tried to press once and had no luck. I don’t think I had the right equipment. There are several in this group that do so I’m sure some will respond. Good luck and I will be watching this thread because I would like to learn more about pressing for concentrates.

5 Likes

Thanks @tammydc! Very happy to be part of this community.

4 Likes

I Press quite a bit. Mostly flower though. I have a couple of ounces of keef I’m gonna try pressing a bit of that. I’ll probably set my temperature around 165°F probably put a light pressure on it for about two minutes and give it a squish for about three more minutes. But everybody does it different and you just need to find your own way. As far as mixing up Terps and all that stuff to fill cartridges, I got nothin…:man_shrugging:
I saw a thread where someone was making cartridges the other day I just can’t remember who or where.

5 Likes

Sweet! My next press will be flower, I’m not sure yet if I should go for high quality or medium so that I have more material to practice. Quality in is quality out is a rule that I do not wan’t to ignore.

Do you decarb? If so, could you tell me more about your decarbing process?

3 Likes

I use different micron bags based on the age and dryness of the flower or trim. As far as heat depends on the strain. Google rosin data and it will give a list of websites that have data by strain. To make vape cartridges, I hear the rosin to 104.5 C for 20 minutes.I add 3 drops terpine juice for .5 gram cart 6 for 1gram cart. Heat at 93C for about 5 minute while mixing. Take off heat add 2 drops of terpine juice stir until blended.

5 Likes

I have tried to find the data sheet but sadly no succes. Do you have a link saved that you can share?

Is the 20 minutes on 104.5 C your full decarbing time?

Will definitely try your process once finished curing and will post results here.

3 Likes

Awesome thread. I’ve failed at making carts with rosin so ill just leave that alone. I press what I would consider a decent amount. I always start pressing my bud at 170f. That goes to my personal stash then I press again at 200f. That’s for edibles. Imo rosin makes best edibles. To decade I use a metal heated stirring plate but my buddy uses toaster oven. 220 and the stuff will start bubbling like its simmering. Let simmer for 15 min or so and it will just stop bubbling altogether. I remove from heat and into my cookies or chocolates. I’ve had great success with this hopes it helps

5 Likes

Heated stirring plate or a lab quality oven will be my next investment. Both have it’s advantages that I am yet to decide. Could you explain me your reasoning on why you chose a heated stirring plate?

5 Likes

@greenmagic3 I use nugsmasher.com. Go to home page, tools, terpfile rosin data. Just register with email address.

4 Likes

Awesome, thanks!

3 Likes

I used to decarb with a thermometer in the oven a sealed pouch and a timer.

Now, I use an Ardent Lift and it has simplified all my different processes as well as increasing potency. I actually have two of them (I inherited one from a friend I was treating for seven years, another given to me by a friend who knew I would share the use of it). I only decarb for edibles.

I don’t make cartridges, I use Terp Pens, e-nails, PAX, keep a torch for those so inclined, etcetera.

7 Likes

I have the Ardent Flex. Great machine now I can decarb without the whole house smelling!

5 Likes

@wow_arizona

Do I understand correctly you decarb your flower and not rosin? Could you explain me why?

Also I am curious how you measure your potency? I have searched for test machines but these are too pricey for me at this stage…

6 Likes

Hi,
I have a question for you, why are you decarbing your rosin if your going to vape it? The temps used to vape it will decarb it at the same time. Also, I’d try only using vg or pg instead of mixing them.

7 Likes

You only need to decarb it if you’re going to make edibles. If you use dispensary rosin it is probably BHO by heating it to 220 F it will remove the leftover solvent and make the vape fluid flow easier. It will also release co2 from your rosin (FWIW).

7 Likes