Looking for Cannabis myths to "bust"

Fellow growers,

I was pulled into a thread yesterday by @Ladithief regarding an interesting flushing technique that @piper had come up with. From this I’ve determined I need to start up a series of videos around proving out, or busting myths about cannabis growing. I think I can also use the platform to test out cool ideas, like the one presented in Pipers thread.

My first run right now will be to test out electrically grounding plants to see if it affects size, and flushed in a traditional method. But then also flush with the Piper wash, which is like a soaker bath for your medium. Since I’m looking to fire this up on a set of clones, I was thinking there may be some other things I can play with too. Need to tweak out the methodology though - ideally maintain one variable at a time.

So I ask you fellow cultivators, what ideas or myths would you like to see proven out? Here’s a video I did around bud washing, if you’re not familiar with my channel (Photosyntech). I’m thinking a similar format, but also part grow series - follow the myth as I bust it. Still ‘flushing’ out the idea and structure though…

Credit will be given of course to those who generate the ideas. Ideally, I want as much community involvement as I can get!

Cheers.

9 Likes

As I have said… I love your videos… the raspberry Pi through the 4000 horses (bugs) of the apocalypse…lol…etc… they are very informative and in simple language…I love this idea…lol…

4 Likes

Yeah I love the video’s also, cool shit man, thanks again for doing this

stay golden …

2 Likes

I’m curious to know what the overall environmental impact of growing in soil and using teas and other amendments is versus purely hydroponic, in coco or rockwool, etc. Mining soil and amendments and shipping those heavy, bulky inputs versus shipping in a growing medium and salt based nutrients that are mixed with the water you have on site. It’s a big question, but I’m definitely curious.

Another one is drying and curing. What difference does it make to dry down to 40% RH, then jar and burp and cure with a 62% RH humidity pack versus drying low and slow at 62% RH the entire time, and keeping it there straight through cure.

6 Likes

@devjyarn Dropping that big one off the top! Love it - and that’s the sort of stretch goal I’m into. I’ve watched some interesting stuff about coco vs. peat in terms of sustainability, but going bigger picture is certainly interesting to me as well.

Good call on the cure test too - that can be done at the end of the current proposed experiment. Thinking I’ll need to procure some additional test equipment for that - which is always cool!

6 Likes

Let me know what you might need @spyrul … no use you being put out for all our video questions…lol…

2 Likes

Appreciate it Ladi!

1 Like

You should do one on making bud purple. I heard a lot of stupid people saying that if you reduce the amount of oxygen the buds will be purple. In reality it’s more about chemical makeup and cooler temperatures

2 Likes

There’s no myth… it’s genetics and temperatures… I let one light frost hit my outdoor purples… it works…

6 Likes

Good call, probably sacrifice a clone to the purple dye myth too. Have to think that one through…

Here an idea that’s well out there…

Can ethereal activities moderate plant growth?

Ie positive thinking, talking positive, nice music :crazy_face::joy:

http://www.canna.com.au/influence_of_music_on_plants

6 Likes

Whether talking/singing works or not, I will continue to do so, the girls are my friends :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Do one with purple dye and one with blue dye and see what gets worked out? Some blue buds would be pretty lol what area do you live in? I’d like to help you out as well

1 Like

Said it before, this community sure is fantastic! I’m in western Canada.

I really would like to try the food coloring thing on at least one cut. You could do it before flower too, just to prove out if the plants will take up the color.

6 Likes

What could go wrong? A funky colored plant. It will have you seeing rainbow buds

3 Likes

Don’t you think the food colouring will mess with the taste of your Cannabis ?

2 Likes

Oh, I do not plan on smoking it. I’ve just read about people dying the soil to get the plant to go purple. I’ll probably pop a bagseed, let it go for a few weeks and then do the experiment to actually see if the plant will pull in the color.

3 Likes

Maybe that must be the next step. Taste Testing :drooling_face:

2 Likes

red dye #5 or yellow #3… what could go wrong tasting…lol… I love the thought though… people use stuff to change petals on flowers all the time… so why not see if cannabis is one…

5 Likes

I read a post not too long ago, where a commenter was arguing up and down this was normal process. I’d never heard of it outside normal gardening, but for the sake of busting the myth - time to investigate!

Going to pop a bean here today for test purposes… should have some results in about 3-4 weeks. I want to see if I can change leaves different colors and then go from there…

5 Likes