Looking for Cannabis myths to "bust"

So how would a home grower know about the levels of cadmium , lead , arsenic and mercury, in their weed?

I think you’d say the best way to reduce the levels would be grow organic…

Sounds like the old DDT issue and how it bioaccumulates up the food chain. Is this a significant enough issue for pot growers? Thanks for the input.

2 Likes

You’d need to see a Certificate of Analysis for your inputs. Most reputable soil and compost producers will be able to provide one. The hydroponic nutrient supplier I use completes a CoA for every ingredient they use and guarantees they are heavy metal free for the end user.

3 Likes

Another term I’ve never heard. Cheers.

https://apps1.cdfa.ca.gov/fertilizerproducts/

2 Likes

Jacks Nutrients are not heavy metal free , i have seen the claim but they are not ! I guess if they are below the levels they can claim . Advanced nutrients i have seen they claim too , they are not either …

1 Like

The claim is definitely not that they’re 0.0000% heavy metal free, but that they’re within spec. Agricultural inputs are usually of a better grade than other bulk chemical inputs, at least when you get to the precision ag side of things. I feel more at ease using those inputs and claiming my product is heavy metal free than using a local compost where some equipment could have had an oil leak during the handling of the piles.

Even our tap water has acceptable levels of heavy metals.

2 Likes

Right , its very hard the fertilizers to be toxic metals free . But they are some companies that are very - very low like DutchPro , JR Peters are not definitely on the lower side . But the problem is most with some type of extractions , we have used one year floralicious plus from GH the trim was very close to the limits of toxic metals and then when we tested the Bubble Hush it was like 20 times bigger then the normal values . If the extractions dont go through filtration , its very hard to have clean extract . Especially people like hobby growers that doing extractions at home .

The same thing is for pesticides ; the old school rule ‘’ spray in VEG - stop in FLO ‘’ people they dont understand ; they thing its bad to spray in flowering for some other reasons and that rule is because of the systematic pesticides , the idea is the flowers will not contain pesticides if they are sprayed during the VEG ; which is not true .

Always expect x10-x15 values of toxic metals and pesticides after the bio mass is processed . Heavy Metals are easier to clean , pesticides its possible but is expensive and takes time …

2 Likes

A8BC5070-37E4-4AC7-A5CF-F2DDF56F4720
Everyone seems to go straight to THC number, occasionally CBD, and now some of the terpenes. Will the consumer eventually get full break downs of what is exactly in the product they buy, ie a joint?

1 Like

Good question, that’s certainly something I can dig in on!

1 Like

Adding in this one, freezer curing:

2 Likes

• 5 Feet Mother plant in 1 gallon pot , plus it is topped several times and cuttings were taken , it was going to be 7-8 feet high
  • Plus its outside on night temperatures of low 50s
  • Rootbound symptoms they simply dont exist , i dont know what i need to do, to see rootbound symptoms . I guess 12 feet in one gallons will show something .
  • People are just transplanting too often for no need you hurt more the plant that you have any benefit , and using huge pots for hydroponics which is totally opposite of the idea of hydroponics
  • Of course i dont suggest using this small pots , this is because of space management , 1F height of nice maintained, pruned and topped plant for 1 gallon of good medium is enough, maybe even 1.5 F per 1 Gallon …
2 Likes

You see no root bound issues with that plant Bc I do. That plant looks like shit. A plant that size should b full and needing defoliation. That plant is starving for root room. Thank u for proving my point. That would look like a tree in the right size pot. It looks like death in a pot.

I dare u to put that in a bigger pot and see what happens. U won’t.

1 Like

Say ‘’ Thank You ‘’ first , i left the plant since we last time talk just to prove you that there is no leave symptoms , i dont need to prove anything to myself , i do most of the things to share knowledge i dont need recognition from you . And people recognize and contact me all the time for advices , that i dont have even time to respond , so i rather share some things public on the forum . The point it was about rootbound symptoms of the leaves pointing down , you are mentioning some irrelevant things , they are mothers and they are suppercroped and fed with flower nutes to harden the stem . I will answer you i see you are concerned :

• Yes they are not full , because we work on square footage not on plants number , meaning that you always go with more plants to harvest faster and to use as soon possible the square footage , meaning you will have the ‘‘shadow syndrome’’ or overcrowding , instead to grow big and bushy plant ant to take you 2 months to fill the square footage you go with 4 on same footage and you cut your time .

• Second pruning in commercial growing its not happening every day you dont have one plant you have dates in my case 2 weeks before flowering and two weeks after , before the net is placed . And i dont want defoliation for mothers , i dont want to promote vertical growth , i want to take big clones from the tops and let those parts down to grow after the tops are used as cuttings , otherwise the mother will look like grape plant stem …

• Third place a plant outside now lets see how it will grow , u r ignorant , do you have any plants out now ?

And now you go again on block bc you are ignorant , stay like that dont change !

I can’t have them outside now I live in the northeast. We are coming off winter. But my last harvest outside these were my plants

No Charlie Brown trees here. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

I am on North too , near Oregon and still growing …

I dont like that second pic with the Christmas Tree either , i dont like uneven canopy , even if its outside and on full sun season , plus you have i see enough space and still you grow Christmas Trees , my winter plants looking still better on 40s F then your summer plants.

We can go like that until tomorrow , whats the point , thats just my opinion . We should be respectable and use appropriate language at the end everyone grow however he/she likes .

I am not here to compete , just saying that pictures around forums and portals used as ‘‘rootbound plants’’ are not true . Most of those pics are cold temperatures early in the season of course after they transplant and the weather get warmer in 2-3 weeks the plant will be better .

If i transplant this mother of course will be better in 2-4 weeks not because of bigger pot , because it will be May :smiley:

Just little respect …

1 Like

Don’t knock Christmas trees… I am known for them… I get huge yields off them…but you have to know how to train and trim them that way… no different then you trimming for an even canopy…it is one reason I don’t like growing very many sativa each season…

4 Likes

Do u know genetics? Btw. Each pic above is 1 plant. That’s not a bunch of plants all together. They are separate plants.

Ya ok look better in the pic. My garden is full of plants. And I’m illegal.

3 Likes

@justgrowin I see width no problem there… just can get a perspective on height… an 8’ Christmas tree got me 3lbs of Skywalker… and in the end who cares as long as your happy at the end of the season (just a general comment)…lol…

3 Likes

There’s no width. Those plants are tucked between my garden house and a storage building trying to hide them. I couldn’t walk around them without almost breaking off stalks. And height wise, I don’t remember if u saw the journal in the lab but my back yard looked like the clampets for the last month Bc I had to put covers over the fence to hide the 10 ft plants coming over the top of the fence.

And what u can’t see are the plants that are In dog crates being kept low to the ground

Believe me it was full back there

And even after devastating floods that wiped out most of those plants

I still harvested 60 lbs. and one of my colas brought more bud than your whole “root bound” plant.

So all U did was verify my argument about being rootbound. Thanks.

1 Like

This thread has some very good knowledge!

2 Likes