Magnesium deficiency or nutrient burn?

Hello everyone. 3rd week into flowering. Crispy leaves and almost all the top leaves curled up and got distorted. Here is how it looks. It seems to me that this is magnesium deficiency. Not that I deprived my plant of Cal-Mag but I did use pH around 5.5 all the time. I assume because of low pH magnesium was not absorbed. I just wanna make sure with more experienced growers, what’s the best solution to revive the plant? Give it magnesium as foliar or flush with a higher pH? I guess maybe I should do both.

Also, last time I gave the plant around 700 PPM. Is it logical to assume that this is not nutrient burn?

2 Likes

WHAT IS THE CORRECT PH FOR CANNABIS?

A natural assumption is that sitting pretty with a pH of 7 would be ideal—many of us often see the middle ground as a safe space. Instead, cannabis plants prefer more acidic media. A slightly acidic growing medium also supports beneficial fungi.

An important side note at this point; even moving one number up or down on the scale will have a significant impact on your cannabis plants. A substance measuring a pH of 6 is ten times more acidic than a pH of 7. A pH of 5 is a hundred times higher in acidity. Smaller, menial adjustments are always the preferred method with pH, providing limited stress to your beloved weed!

To further complicate matters, depending on the grow setup you have opted for, the required pH also varies. No need to be alarmed though, we will cover both hydroponic and soil-based setups and their pH guidelines.

HYDRO

IDEAL PH: 5.5-5.7

Hydro ideal pH: 5.5-5.7

Hydroponic growing environments can prove slightly more troublesome when it comes to effectively managing pH levels. The reservoir you apply your nutrient solution to has direct access to the root structure of your plants. Because there is no soil medium to dilute any mistakes made, less is more when it comes to increasing or decreasing pH levels.

There are simple ways to do this with additives, which we will explore later. The reason hydroponics prefer a more acidic solution to soil is that typically, water tends to have a neutral to slightly alkaline pH.

SOIL

IDEAL PH: 6.3–6.7

SOIL Ideal pH: 6.3–6.7

Soil-based grows have a slightly larger margin for error and can be more forgiving if your pH levels go awry. The most significant cause of fluctuations of pH levels in soil is a result of the breakdown of fertilizer. Acidic salts get left behind, lowering the pH of the soil.

An essential tip is to correctly mix the soil. It is not as uniform as a hydroponic setup; therefore, one patch of soil will provide a different pH compared to an area that hasn’t been mixed correctly.

Related Article

How Much Does The PH Value Really Matter When Growing Cannabis Outdoors?

GETTING PH WRONG

No matter your experience, there will come a time when getting pH wrong happens. Knowing the signs of incorrect pH in your cannabis plants and what effect this can have are vital. Starting with the latter, what happens to your cannabis when pH is too high or too low?

The buildup of salts we mentioned earlier? Acting as a blocker, salts prevent your cannabis from being able to absorb nutrients. Trying to rectify this by adding even more nutrients won’t work. Correct pH is integral!

In a medium that is too alkaline, essential nutrients like calcium, iron, and phosphorus bind to each other. Similar to how the salt acts as a blocker, the bound nutrients cannot be absorbed by your plant’s root system either. Both of these situations cause what is commonly referred to as nutrient lockout.

Related Article

How To Calibrate Your PH Meter

SPOTTING THE SIGNS OF INCORRECT PH

Stunted growth, wilting, and brown or yellow leaves are all signs of incorrect pH and/or nutrient deficiency in cannabis plants. However, these symptoms can also be the outcome of a different problem with your cannabis.

The best course of action is, when in doubt, take a reading of pH levels. Readings can be taken quickly and simply, helping you to diagnose any problems.

4 Likes

Thank you so much. I will go ahead and measure the pH that comes out.

3 Likes

it does not look like nute burn to me. i dont know what you are growing in but i mess up ph all the time :green_heart:

2 Likes

I grow in soil. I will flush the plant and see the pH👌Appreciate you

3 Likes

you want @PreyBird1 @happilyretired maybe @hellraiser to weigh in on this.

3 Likes

Some shots of th entire plant, your soil?, What pH you watering her with and she’s vegging? If you are soil 5.5 is kinda low… I’d start my next waterings around 7 assuming you have low runoff #'s. Which if you know them be super helpful.
I’m not all that convinced you have serious issues… patience and the correct pH … Call me in the morning…

3 Likes

pH on veg was from 5.5 to 6
Now is 3rd week into flowering.

I did a quick flush and pH of the water coming out was 7-8🤔

4 Likes

I am also considering spraying the plant with epsom salt

2 Likes

She looks gorgeous don’t make rash decisions upon two leaves… patience is your best friend. Get your pH down to 6.7 on runoff…
And not humongous differentiates to get ph up or down.

4 Likes

Much thankful to you :handshake:

3 Likes

Been hearing this a lot lately.

Always look at your new growth to see what your plant is doing at the moment. Once damage is done it’s done it doesn’t get better. Yes you can make a light green plant get darker but there’s no coming back from any yellowing so you always look towards your new growth.It sometimes takes days for a plant to show improvement once a problem has been resolved.

5 Likes

Thanks for your reply🤙

3 Likes

i would say both

2 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

Now it turned out so that the second plant also has severe magnesium deficiency. They both look more than unhealthy. I’ve got no idea what to do now. I sprayed the plants with epsom salt buy they don’t look any better.

2 Likes

So I found out what happened. I burned my plants giving them too much nutrients. The bigger plant would have easily absorbed 1100 PPM before trimming. But because I’d defoliated the plant and it lost too many fan leaves, it had nowhere to store all the nutrients anymore. I should have done defoliating without feeding the plant the same dosage of nutrients. Without those fan leaves it just got burnt with this amount. As of the smaller plant, I did not defoliate it but seems to me I still gave her too much of the feeding. I use Vegamatrix and I went beyond the instructions thinking they need more during flowering. That was a terrible mistake. Runoff water PPM is 1000, pH is 7-8, I gotta lower it. I flushed the plants. The only thing that is still outside my puzzle is how magnesium deficiency occurred simultaneously in both of the plants, given the fact there were no signs of any deficiency at all. The only explanation that comes to my mind is a complete nutrient blockout. Because I did give them Cal-Mag. Hope to see my plants recover. Certainly did not want to be running in such a trouble on week 3 of flowering…

1 Like

Looks to me like your major problem was your pH. Repeat this ALL THE TIME but you have to keep a eye on your runoff pH. Some people get away with not checking pH, as long as plant health/growth remains great…that’s no problem. But, when any nutrient issues arise, the first thing you do is check your runoff pH IMHO… In your circumstances I would pH some R/O or distilled water to 5.0 and flush your soil. You NEED to get your runoff water down to 6.3-6.5 ish. Let your plants recover before pumping anymore nutrient solutions.
There’s no ‘puzzle’ about why your plants both locked out at the same time…LOL at pH 8 neither Ca or Mg is going to be available…FWIW

5 Likes

Are you irrigating and preparing your nutrient solutions with tap water???

4 Likes