Methods of Closing Your Pre-Rolled Joints

Hey Everyone!

@GrowOpEmployees @growopowners @ProcessorEmployee @ProcessorOwners @DispensaryEmployees

This topic is about innovation in Pre-Roll production. Let it roll!!!

While the STM RocketBox makes pre-roll production at least 5x-7x’s faster than ever by eliminating multiple steps - we’re always focusing on how to be even more efficient and how to make your lives even easier!

We’ve experimented with lots of ways to close pre-rolled joints, with our favorite method being a fold vs. a twist. I’d love to open up discussion here for growers and processors to talk about their favorite methods of closing…experimental and all.

What have you tried before? What has failed or succeeded? Which methods do you prefer? What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Jessica

5 Likes

From a smoking experience, I find the folded tips spark better and the paper burns more evenly. With twisted tips I get burn runs over 50% of the time, essentially wasting the joint and my experience. But that could also be due to poorly ground product.
That’s purely from a consumer standpoint though, I have no opinion on the production side.

7 Likes

The consumer standpoint should always be the foundation of how products are created and manufactured! I agree 100% Bryan - in that the folded tips remove those two issues. The only way I’ve found the twist could be successful is if the tips are being snipped off. However, that’s now an extra step to do before packaging and could slow you down.

3 Likes

Hi my opinion is to fold tips it calls for less product and has better burn and hey a good bonus is to dip tip in resin it lights better and slows burn by half for cents on a j

5 Likes

Love that “tip” on “dipping your tips”

Buahahaha

4 Likes

Here is my feed back on Pre-Rolls closing:

We do both closing ways Twisting and Folding. Twisting for our customers that have specifically requested them in the thousands being twisted. Our Gold Standard of choice is Folding it because it gives the user a better smoking experience to prevent the burning running on one side caused by twisting it. The folding also give you the even burning like a cigar usually does.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Bill

3 Likes

Try lighting the whole joint first before taking your first pull. Most people don’t light joints right in the first place (usually lighting it like you would a cigarette) , the end result being a run due to denser flower and a higher moisture content than tobacco.
What I do is light the tip and burn it all. Get the tip (the whole thing) cherry with your lighter first. Even blow on it like embers of a fire to get a perfectly round cherry tip. Then take your pulls off of it. I can almost guarantee a better burning experience.
Also if your smoking with multiple people we find that the act of passing the joint around causes many pulls on the joint without allowing the time for the flower to cherry proper. Slow the passing of the joint to ensure a better smoking experience.
Every harvest we flush for 14-21 days and dry at 60/60. We hand roll every preroll and remove junk like stems But even with all of that if you dont give the flower time to cherry while smoking the likelyhood of a run is much higher.

8 Likes

Absolutely brilliant. It’s funny because it such a simple thought. It sounds almost like they should be treated like a cigar in the lighting process vs. a cigarette.
Would you agree?

5 Likes

I 100% agree with this. We make a solventless, infused preroll that has a very high customer base. Our customers have spoken and given us the best method of lighting our preroll to date. So since we have promoted this same concept of cherry first smoking.

5 Likes

Oh and to anwer the OP question we prefer the twist. It’s tight, looks clean and stays closed.
With our preferred lighting method it’s a non issue.

2 Likes

The Italians in Milano area are developing automation for rolling cig style. Their sta dard machine speeds are too fast for the current industry standards. Stay tune. Will update when I see more.

4 Likes

Interesting!! Why do you think so many people have gone out of their way to request a twist instead?

2 Likes

Please do keep us posted! We don’t do cigarette style in our pre-roll machine, but we can handle certain blunt like papers and of course, the standard cone papers on the market.

2 Likes

That’s awesome. How are you infusing? Mixing flower with the hash oil before doing a hand pack?

3 Likes

All by hand. How much is that rocketbox?

3 Likes

Understood…will update when I know more.

Cheers!

Anne

Thanks - Anne

2 Likes

Ok so…the Tobacco industry (and Italians) would spray the prepared cannabis materials, add a lite mix (rotation via fixed guides built into cannabis flow)in transit to the dispensing hopper. There it would be loaded/deposited into cigarette paper for rolling with a final roll twist. They can be very efficient with the available spray control features. Sprays are used on many products today. Micro drops can infuse the product and you can use a small hopper to
minimize quantity being held for deposit.

2 Likes

It was how it was done in the past is all I can quess. With bigger players coming in with more technogy it will produce a “higher finish for finish product llooks” & different handling approach. Hand roll versus machinery finish will be an interesting marketing value in the future. Hand roll may always represent a truer relationship to the "spirit of cannabis
" and machine rolled a lean towards
Vending machine or “Virgina Slims look”
Each having a niche!

3 Likes

$12,500 - replaces about 6-7 knockboxes and reduces labor by 5-7 x’s.

2 Likes

The interesting part is that we’ve had one of the largest tobacco barons contact us because the tobacco companies could not find a way to automate their machines for cannabis vs. tobacco. If they found a way to make it happen, I am soooo intrigued to see how they made it work for cigarettes.

You have to think of how tough it would be to pack sticky bud into a thin cylindrical tube without a weird pack/easy clog issue. That’s why I believe cones will stick around far longer - at least until that solution is solid for pre-rolls.

2 Likes