My Odyssey

Got a little helment head for the first time, do they usually fall off lol? Never had one pop with the seed attached.

4 Likes

Watch that helmet can suffocate leaves. Small needle or 2 to pop it apart CAREFULLY. Seedlings don’t need lots of light yet leave the light. Unless your soil is not warm. Careful dont burn the seedling with the light.

5 Likes

So should i get up and go take it off , also my light is dimmed as low as possible currently. And the little heat lamp is hanging even higher. The space heater is on the outside of the tent at 77 fahrenheit.

3 Likes

Also, doing something carefully is a process that I cannot do😓

4 Likes

Update i removed the seed from my little buddy​:raised_hands::raised_hands:

Time to unwind :sleeping_bed: :zzz:

8 Likes

@theodyssey
Yes. Not every grow mind you. Your harvest weight a combination of many factors, the first and most imperative being genetic selection. Different strains grow differently and can have very different potentials for harvested weight.
First off you want a good brand of seed. Then you need to pick the right strain for your growing style and what your trying to get out of it. …highest thc, most weight, growing style (some strains growth patterns lent themselves more to certain growing styles like SOG or SCROG, etc…
Then you have your medium, lighting, nutes, quality of water you have/use, and lastly another often overlooked but extremely important factor: experience. Just cause a plant/grow has the potential to put out 750-800g/sqft doesn’t mean it’s going to for you. That’s the max amount you’ll get under normal growing conditions (without supplemental cO2, etc…). I can almost guarantee you that you wouldn’t get those figures your first few grows unless your very very lucky. You need to learn how to adjust your watering and nutes properly, how n when to train, etc… and all these things come from experience.
I must say that it’s a lot easier for guys just starting out than it was back in the day like 30 years ago for people like me and many others on the forum. We grew up before the days of Google and amazing forums like this. Hell, back then the only place you could even try and find growing equipment was from the one inch black n white classified ads in the back of high times. And if n when we had any sort of issue the only places we could go to for answers were one of the few good grow-books out back then like Ed Rosenals and a few others or from high times grow section or grow specials. If you had a question on a plant issue, the only way you could ask someone then was to mail, and I mean real mail with a piece of paper n a stamp, lol, your question to high times and hope they picked it to answer, then you had to wait like two months to see if it’s in an upcoming issue or not.
How the times have changed. Sites like this, well forums, whatever, have really changed the face of learning cannabis cultivation. You guys newer to growing are really lucky to be learning in a time like this with so much info and hemp immediately available to you.
Good luck and keep it up brother, your growing man. Welcome to the other side!
Peace, love, happiness,
Jory

7 Likes

I appreciate the time for the response, but now i have more questions if you dont mind. Sog sea of green right? Whats scrog? Also i understand it mainly comes down to genetics. My co workers are a lot older than me, great guys and always mentioning how they used to buy grow stuff off the hightimes magazines lol. Like you said it used to be the ONLY way for help or supplies. This website and the others are priceless, lets all appreciate the bond we share for our greens n beans.

4 Likes

Scrog = screen of green. Training the canopy using a net or screen.

5 Likes

@theodyssey
What’s up brother? Hey, sorry it took me a couple days to answer; my lives pretty crazy at the moment and I don’t get a chance to get on daily sometimes. Anyways, your very welcome brother. As far as scrog, I couldn’t have explained it any better than hoppiefrog did for you.
If you’ve any other questions feel free to ask me, it just might take a couple days for me to answer sometimes.
Good luck brother!

4 Likes

Nothing much letting this little seedling grow, this gorilla grow is nice. I hear you on the crazy life style feeling that vibe heavy. Trust me more questions will arise soon :sweat_smile: appreciate it. @jory

2 Likes

@theodyssey
Hey brother, I just saw this post about having your light dimmed. You don’t want to do that with seedlings as your wNt to get them used to full power light. Your much better off raising the light a bit if needed. …though if your currently at 31” I think you should be fine. Out of curiosity what brand/model light(s) are you using?
The best way I’ve found for deciding how far light should be above seedlings (varies by strain) is to put/keep my light at about 30” above canopy (top of plants leaves) …when measuring lighting always go from top of canopy and not from top of pots or soil level).
Anyways, I start at 30” and watch seedling for what it needs. If it’s stretching toward light then your going to want to move the light closer (slowly and incrementally) to the plants. If the plants leaves are burning or lightening in color, or anything like that you need to raise lamp till plant(s) recover.
Hope it helps a bit.
Good luck bro. :smirk:

3 Likes

Yes , i did some research on that and turned it up from as dim as possible to about 75%. I have brung it down a few inches because the seedling started to stretch a bit. I am running an HLG 135w Qb 288 r spec v2. Also using a little incandescent light up in the top of the tent for heating. Thanks for checking in @jory.

3 Likes

Finally decided to hookup the fan , i set it up so that it blows the hot air out. Works well but i turned it off even on low the tent gets too cold so ill save the electric bill for now. Also have an intake at the bottom of the tent to bring warm air in from the warmer room next door. Does this look safe?

The temp and humidity are low from me having the tent open putting that fan in.

5 Likes

Purely a point of observation;
If you double these cables back onto themself, creating a loop, you will get a couple of extra inches of light height…
You may need it further down the track

6 Likes

Sometimes we screw eyelets into the ceiling - floor joists. Then poke a tiny hole in tent roof hang the lights on wire. Then you can raise the light to the roof of the tent. Just be careful not to burn anything.

6 Likes

Wont that hole cause a light leak? @preybird1

3 Likes

We tape the hole with metal tape. In fact i go into a tent and put that tape on all the seams. I climb in turn lights out and find all the leaks. And tape anywhere a needle was used to seam it together.

4 Likes

Yes i was thinking of taking black fabric around zippers that seems to be the only areas of light leak. Might even just add velcro honestly that way i can use it as a flap mechanic.

5 Likes

Since i breed a lot i tape other seams to keep pollen out. But its pretty simple to eliminate light leaks. This is why i like gorilla tents. Better vents and double closure vents. The details make the equipment.

5 Likes

Do you keep the breeding plants in a seperate area of the house from the rest of the plants or do you grow to breed? Also I am enjoying the tent very much but my main concern is when i turn on my inline fan the RH drops drastically , do you have any ways to increase RH aside from a humidifier?

4 Likes