My son wants to get into the Cannabiz - suggestions?

My 22 year old son of course feels this is the business for him. He is quite knowledgeable, even did CTU. I would think working at a dispensary would be a good start, any other suggestions?

3 Likes

Aim higher the money as a bud tender etc is minimal and you are slaving for the man… even as a grower… the people making the money in the industry don’t like sharing… and as more and more farms are approved the price of weed plummets… as it plummets jobs and/or wages follow… just my opinion…

5 Likes

He needs to do it himself and work for the position in the industry!!

4 Likes

That’s why black market is still strong here my friend… The taxes alone will bankrupt a shop… Your right it’s a very tough business to get into!! It’s becoming commercialized and in the long run the ones who started it all will get fucked… The politicians and so called “elite families” have there hand in the honey jar now

6 Likes

Exactly, I agree

1 Like

My advice to him exactly, but what do I know, hah!

1 Like

And thank you for your opinion

1 Like

but a job one can survive on… as long as they can… and the person is happy is a better job than the one with lots of money and unhappiness…

6 Likes

Exactly! My mantra to my kids is “live small so you can LIVE large”, be happy

2 Likes

I’m a dad, as a business the people making big money? Sales of equipment to growers, all sorts of gear, products, swag, displays, or for bigger clients, ac , watering, lighting, etc… see where I’m going? Retail? Sure it’s weed, but retail is retail all over, dealing with the public? Plus the weed biz is overly regulated, every step of way. Maybe attend a growers conference to see the business from many angles.

3 Likes

I’d suggest looking into horticulture or botany classes or colleges. They will teach him the “why things happen” and not just how to do it. That way if things don’t work out in cannabis then there is always some other type of farming to fall back on. Most people that make it big are the ones with that piece of paper that shows what they have done. So point blank, education would be the best start.

1 Like

Don’t know many kids that want to go t school to see something that grows so slow…lol… you are right and I just know kids now a days…

3 Likes

@oldtxjoe I’m happy you said that, I have worked in luxury retail most my career and its taxing…the higher and higher up you get the colder it gets imo. Even if you are working with a product/service you love, the problems seem to overwhelm everything…

4 Likes

@jellyfish you are so right!!

2 Likes

Agreed, I’ve told my son he should join me in our green energy biz, and focus on helping the cannabis industry save money. He would get to meet so many people and see all the sides of the industry.

3 Likes

He is enrolled in CTU, enjoying it. And yes, always have a Plan B, and C, and D and …

2 Likes

Makes me smile seeing people discuss and get excited about their kids getting into the cannabis industry. Wishing him the best of success in whatever he chooses to kick ass in.

3 Likes

Your lips to God’s ears! Thank you!

2 Likes

Hey id say he has a good edge on the biz already with your family business guiding him he would be efficient thats a big part of the battle right there;)

2 Likes

Thanks, and that’s what we do as parents

2 Likes