New Indoor Auto Grow

What I’d give to be a fly on the wall with that old couple. Growing it and selling it, mom and pop setup. Prolly forgotten more then I’ll ever know. With the budsites - it’s like first couple times you try, well for me atleast, I did like a dozen toppings on a few plants and just ended up with 18" bushes w all popcorn buds. LoL live n learn. Only way to move ahead right.

11 Likes

Loco, it’s even better. The couple were in their 30’s, I guess. Just kids, really! So they were closer to the beginning of their journey. But you are right on that they know A LOT!

Polson, MT is a weird place, but there were at least four dispensaries within a mile. At home in Virginia, we only have about 10 in the whole state, I think.

8 Likes

Ethos babies are growing! I think they like the heat mat. When I move the plants into bigger pots, I suspect the mat won’t do any good. What do you think?

10 Likes

Nah… If you want experiment it up. One with one without!! Boom. - your a scientist!

13 Likes

Ethos gonna rock!

9 Likes

I have questions!

My ethos gals are about ready to move to larger pots. I’ve made some super soil that’s close to the sub cool recipe with a couple additional amendments I read about. I used FFOF and Promix HPCC for my base.

1. Should I repot into some 1-gallon plastic pots for a couple weeks or just move them straight to final homes—7-gal fabric pots?

2. I’m planning to use super soil in bottom of pots, but am a little unsure about what to put up top. I have homemade compost I thought about mixing with Promix HPCC for the top layer, but I’m scared of using homemade stuff in my indoor grow. Would it be significantly less safe than using a bagged compost?

Hope everyone who sees this post is well and happy. Thanks for any thoughts you’re willing to share. Have a great day!

10 Likes

If it were me I would put them in the final pot.I’d Fill the pot with your super soil make a hole with a little bit bigger pot than you have there maybe an inch or so all the way around and beneath. then put some promix or some cooler soil in the bottom and around your small plants when you place them in the pot. This will give the roots a chance to acclimate to the hotter soil. The less times you transplant the better. Every time you transplant it cost you at least 3 to 5 days for the plants to adjust, and sometimes they get shocked which can take weeks to recoup. :v:t3:

11 Likes

Happ, thank you, sir! Looks like my task is gonna be an easy one. I am glad to know you think I can go a little heavier on the super soil. Really appreciate your insights, as usual. Hope you’re well.

9 Likes

As I mentioned, I’m just getting ready to up-pot a couple ethos photos.

I was surfing around Reddit and got into convo w a guy who swears by GroBuckets. I have done a little reading and am wondering what you all think about GroBuckets. Any journals you can point me toward?

Hope you’re having a great day!

9 Likes

I use Grobucket’s. If you do a search here there are several threads with some helpful information.

11 Likes

Reading them right now! Thank you. :slight_smile: I can’t believe I’ve considering such a dramatic change of direction, but I’m thinking of hitting hydro shop for two of these today. Thanks so much for your info and support. Have a great day!

10 Likes

I’m not sure if they will be found at a local hydro store. Here is a link to them at Amazon.

8 Likes

Alrighty, well now I just need to decide if I’ll go “all in” or run some kind of comparison to the seven-gal fabric pots I’d planned to use. Thanks for the link. You are right. Hydro shop only sells autopots.

9 Likes

@pbaker, you’re getting some great advice here !
Glad to see you back at it…upwards and onwards !

10 Likes

I have my ethos photos in five-gallon GroBuckets. The GroBuckets are very easy to use, of course. I am very happy with them. After transplanting, I top-watered a couple of times to let the soil start wicking from below. The plants recovered from transplant and began taking off right away.

My only current concern is that the tent is staying quite humid—84% or so throughout lights-on. I guess I’ll need to spring for a dehumidifier.

The buckets are filled with super soil that I made from ProMix, worm castings, and a bunch of dry amendments. I didn’t let the soil “cook” before use, so I’m hoping to avoid problems. So far, the roots are probably just barely getting into the hot super soil. I am watering with distilled water for now. I’d like to move back to my rain water once I feel more confident in my setup.

My SF2000 is doing fine, I guess. I have it set at 70%, about 14” above the tops of the plants.

I topped these plants—yet another “first” for me, and I hope to do some training of the canopy once the new tops grow up a bit. The Zweet Inzanity tops are really growing fast, but the Crescendo tops are slower. I believe it’s because all the Crescendo’s fan leaves keep growing bigger and bigger. I’m thinking of defoliating. I know nothing about this and am going to learn the hard way, I guess.

I cut an apple, and the seeds were already germinated. Figured it was meant to be, so I’m growing two of those, too. Maybe they’ll make it to the yard next spring.

I would love to know what y’all think about my process. I need all the advice you can hand down. Hope you’re having a great day!

13 Likes

I had my light too close and too high for a day just before transplanting, and that caused the burned leaves you see on Zweet Inzanity. New growth is looking ok, thankfully.

Also, I somehow wound up with tomato seeds in my super soil. I guess they were in the ProMix?? Anyway, I had to pull six healthy tomato seedlings this morning. Kinda wished I could have let them roll!

11 Likes

Uh oh! The new growth on the Zweet Inzanity is too light, curly, and a lil yella on the tips. Have I burned it? How can I respond to this issue?

13 Likes

She looks like she’s gonna ride!. Maybe light was a little too intense for her, I don’t know the details of your grow. just looks like she’s pushing a little hard for the resources she’s built up: and those early fan leaves are sacrificial nute stores anyway - dont sweat it.

Check your nute ratio…evaluate your “Special Soil Mix” you really should break that down for your own education and understanding…I’d be tossing a WAG at best.

11 Likes

Wait a second??? Your apple had seeds already split inside and boom - your an apple farmer now? That is the most wicked thing I ever heard. Could be the plant is just growing faster then chlorophyll can keep up, sometimes new growth, I stress new growth will do that . BTW that’s not like the scientific way of saying it but you catch my drift. LoL just stay on top of it like you are and hope for the best. You seem to be on your A game.

10 Likes

Hello! Happy Holidays! I have a couple specific questions for you. They are about these Ethos photos in 5-gal GroBuckets.

The setup:

Crescendo x Grandpa’s Stash

Zweet Inzanity

As you can tell, the ZI plant is bigger and lankier than the Crescendo. These plants are experiencing some explosive growth. They have been vegging in the tent for only about three weeks.

Here are my questions:

1. How would you train these plants to best use the available space?

2. Which of the big leaves should I cut off?

3. At what point should I flip to 12-12 in order to avoid a space issue?

I truly appreciate any thoughts you’re willing to share on any of these questions.

Have a great day!

12 Likes