As of tonight, Rae is no longer the last Wash clone.
This here is how I clone.
I found a branch that I thought looked good.
Snipped a clean angle.
…meanwhile, I had a clear cup that I cut holes in the bottom of.
I wrapped the clear cup in aluminum foil and placed it in the black cup. (Don’t hate on the Mariners. I know they suck. But they’re my team.)
I filled the clear cup with a neutral growing mix (I use sunshine #4, available at HD) and wet it until water comes out of the bottom. Then I poke it with a stick.
I put a little glob of aloe on the cut area (and on the plant where I snipped), pull the stick out, and pop the clone in the hole.
I forgot to say that I also cut off 1/2 of all of the existing leaves. I also popped out the teensy new stems that were growing.
Then I popped the new clone into the hole and then barely cover the top of the hole that the stick made.
I then take out the foil liner.
and put the clear cup back into the black cup.
Then I put another clear cup over top of the clone and stick it on my kitchen counter under the cabinet lights. It’ll get 24/7 light while it’s in the kitchen.
Excess moisture in the soil will drain into the Mariner’s cup. The moisture in the soil will increase the humidity in the cup acting as a dome. I take the cup off once or twice a day and puff out the air in the cup and around the clone. Then I put the cup back on top.
Aside from that, I ignore the clone until I see signs of root growth or new leaves popping up.
When I see roots or new leaf growth (to indicate root growth that I can’t see), I’ll remove the cup/dome and start watering with a diluted nute mix.
This newest clone is Jessie.
As soon as Jessie shows that she’s gonna live, I’m gonna flip Rae.