Plain Potting Soil for Seedlings

Hello–My first post. :slight_smile: I got some seeds today and they are soaking at the moment. Does anyone have a recommendation for a plain potting soil to start the seedlings in? After they grow for a week or two, my plan is to transplant into Fox Farm Happy Frog Potting Soil. I am going to keep them outside in either 2, 3 or 5 gallon fabric pots.

This is my first time growing-all new to me.

Thanks in advance.

Ed

6 Likes

Anything that is not amended, or very lightly amended, but if i remember correctly the happy frog can be used for seedlings, just not ocean forest as its too hot, don’t quote me on this as I’m a coco grower.

8 Likes

Welcome to the Growers Network. You can run happy frog for your babies. You’ll need to feed within 3 to 4 weeks.

You want to maintain a good watering cycle, you don’t want the peat to dry out to much. It becomes harder to water but you can rehydrate and water as normal. Don’t let it happen alot.

6 Likes

Welcome to GN! What’s the largest metropolitan city you live near? Trying to figure out how much sunshine you could be getting!

3 Likes

Thanks for the welcomes everyone! I am about 90 miles north of NYC. The seeds are now in wet paper towels-White Widow and Key Lime Crush.

3 Likes

I hate to be that guy but I think it might be a little late in the season to be starting outside that far north. I’m in Ontario about 3 hours north of Buffalo and my outdoor is starting to bud pretty good. I’m not saying it’s not possible but with fall fast approaching it could affect yield.

4 Likes

I was afraid of that. I may spring for grow tent-not sure. If I started outside would putting them in a grow tent half way through cause a problem?

2 Likes

foxfarm light warrior is my fav seedling soil so far. i have used 5 diff ones and foxfarm wins. happy growing! :green_heart:

2 Likes

Thank you for the tip on the plain soil.

A taproot has broken through on all 8 seeds I put in wet paper towels this morning at 6:00AM. So far so good. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wound up getting a SF 2000 Grow Tent kit. My auto-flowers are looking pretty good in there. They are at 3 weeks.

I have another question for you guys though. I did a bag-seed plant back in the last week of June. So this plant is about 10 weeks old. So, I found three white worms on it today. Does anyone know what they are and if I should worry about it? I did buy some Captain Jacks spray, just in case but have not used it yet.

2 Likes

U have caterpillars, treat your plants with this

5 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply! I just ordered the spray–should be here in 2 days.

1 Like

A lil info about that product is it’s a culture of bacillus thuringiensis a beneficial microbe that kills caterpillars, 100% organic and omri listed

1 Like

Walmart, home Depot and Lowes carries it too if u need to expedite and have it sooner

1 Like

Got the insecticide today and did an application. Hopefully I’ll get rid of the caterpillars. But I have another question for you all on that bag-seed plant in the picture. It’s been in flower state since about the middle of August. When looking for caterpillars with an eye loop tonight, I could see tiny trichomes. I figured I had about another month to go with that plant.

When do trichomes first start to appear during the flowering stage of an outdoor photoperiod plant?

1 Like

The type of thrichs that swell up in cannabis usually start swelling up around the same time the flower buds start to form and/or pistils start to unfurl. Depending on things like humidity, light levels, and plant damage they can form sooner or later.

3 Likes

Looks like I have a problem with my bag-seed plant. I have it growing on my deck in a 5 gallon fabric pot. It started to show first signs of flower during the week of 8/16. We have had a lot of rain here in NY the last few days-not sure if that means anything.

I cut off a few weak looking leaves on the bottom and noticed a couple buds with brown spots and some small dead leaves sticking out. I cut into one of the buds to see how deep it went.

Anyone have any ideas and/or how bad it is?

2 Likes

You need to remove these areas. If you can get a bag over then before you touch them to much, it’s a mold/but rot, then cut off the infection.

1 Like

The plant needs more airflow. Trimming back foliage or fans on her help out tremendously.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply. I wasn’t sure what to do, so I researched it more over the weekend. I brought the plant inside at night to dry it off but the smell changed from that nice pot smell to a moldy, unpleasant smell.

I wound up trying to salvage any good buds and cut the plant down yesterday afternoon. I think I got some good un-rotten buds out of it. They are drying in my closet right now. I washed the buds in a hydrogen peroxide solution, hoping that would help.

The plant was doing so good too and then that bud-rot hit so fast. I cut it down at the beginning of week 7 of flower. I had to try and save some of it-it was my first ever grow.

I have a bunch of auto flowers going now in a new grow tent I picked up. I will always keep an eye out now for bud rot.

2 Likes