Seeking words of wisdom

Hello everyone! So excited to be here :grin:
My name is Skyler, and I live in the newly legalized state of South Dakota!
I’m an avid gardener and a hobby grower of ≈15yrs
I’m sure I’ll have an annoying amount of questions in time, but my first question is this:
What advice would you give growers about to begin in a new state? What do you wish you had known/been told when your state legalized/when you started growing?
Thanks a bunch! And I look forward to getting to know everyone

8 Likes

I got nothing man were not legal they just shot down the attempt to legalize again today fuck utah. But welcome no questions are annoying. If your annoyed then you dont belong and shouldnt respond.

8 Likes

If you have the capability, buy the best first. From lights, nutes, soils, and most of all genetics.

6 Likes

What he said. Plus i wish i would have came before spending money on lights. Light light lights. Number 1 in growing. Dont cheap out on them. Other than that dont go over ur legal limit of flowered plants u can veg as many as u want i believe unless they have a regulation on that. But remember if ur growing inside. Lights. Oh and welcome bud.

5 Likes

Lights are the actual food source. Nutes are vitamins.

1 Like

Here you get 6 veg 6 flower. Thats it.

1 Like

Here you get 4 plants must be outdoors and 300 feet from any dwelling. Medical only. And must be 25 miles from dispensary. Liscence is $100K A YEAR and only 13 Liscences total for entire state.

3 Likes

best wishes. so gifted.

1 Like

That is just ridiculous. Really making it impossible for smaller growers to be part of a new industry.

What advice would you give growers about to begin in a new state? @sumwonyustano

Best advice for me would be to start with good genetics. Its something you will learn over time and get excited about with new genetics along the journey. But do your research on the different types etc. Also eventhough it is legal, I would keep my growing to a close circle of friends and family.

8 Likes

From what I read you’ve been growing for 15 yrs? So u know the basics and beyond. As far as newly legalized state, know your laws! Keep on top of them. They will change as the state gets a feel for what works for them. Keep a copy of the current law next to your front door. Or any door an authority would knock on. Sometimes the enforcers of the law aren’t as caught up on it as they should be.

Congrats! Hopefully 2021 will be the year of federal legalization

5 Likes

No effing way. That’s crazy talk.

4 Likes

Interesting and good advice…

2 Likes

That sucks! We’ve been fighting for it for years, finally won. We’ll have to wait and see til the laws get changed though to see what we actually won

3 Likes

That’s crazy. Our laws state they have to be inside where no one can see them behind lock and key

2 Likes

What’s everyone’s favorite lights they use?

2 Likes

I’m 1000 watt hps and 315 cmh with t5s

1 Like

Same here in California… allowed 6 indoor but locked up… but its better to get your medical rec… allowed 99 plants… some shops here are medical only still

Quantum board LED all the way… a bit pricey but saves on electric bill and puts out some serious light… how big of a space do you grow area are you working with?

2 Likes

This jus made me sad u should move to western mass

3 Likes

@shmodyshmott @PreyBird1 you should stay away from western mass. That’s where the father I have never met lives.

2 Likes

That’s so funny same w my wife and she’s from texas me met her dad but hes 1 town over from me by it really depends alot of our mtn and hill town families are nice but the under ground I brutal

2 Likes