Slight yellowing of leaves - First Grow

It’s the start micro nute deficiency. Most likely calcium imo, possibly iron, impossible to nail down for 100% without leaf testing, but that doesn’t matter.

Coco coir absorbs calcium and offgasses P. Use a cal mag product that contains some iron, most do. I leave room in my feed to add 300-400 ppm calmag.

Also know that high humidity inhibits the plants uptake of calcium. This is not a super uncommon thing for folks that religiously follow certain vpd charts in late veg and early flower.

I personally use call mag plus from botanicare but there are many great products that will work.

Just one man’s opinion, but I try not to speak unless I know I can help lol.

All the best!

9 Likes

Just letting you know how I mix my nutrients. I’ll mix it up to the required dose on the bottle then dilute it down to the ppm required with r/o water.
Have a look at the plant diagnosis section.

As your coco is prebuffed I wouldnt worry about the calmag for now. If you see deficiencies then start adding it, otherwise you may over do it…

3 Likes

Did a flush with ph 5.8 water and a transplant today. The run off for the plant that has started going yellow was at PH 6.8. All the others were fine just this plant. I have no idea why the ph was so high. Maybe I forgot to clean its tray or something. Not sure.

I spoke to the guy at the store he once again said I don’t need cal mag with Canna Coco nutrients because they have been specifically formulated for coco and already have it covered. Might go to another store tomorrow and get a 2nd opinion.

Other than the one problem plant all the others look good. The root system in each of them looked awesome. Can’t believe after just 2 weeks a plant can grow this much. I do a lot of vegetable growing and I haven’t seen any of them grow at this kind of speed.

Another problem I am facing is the heat. I am finding it very difficult to get the tent under 30 degrees Celsius. Even with the aircon running all day. Humidity stays between 50-70% its just it’s bloody hot. Aussie climate makes it hard.

Thank you all for your help I will keep you posted

4 Likes

For the heat problem you may want to look at getting some led quantum bards with heat sinks. The old school lights you have now will generate too much heat for your tent.
Cutter electronics in Australia have a fantastic range at decent prices.

My QB’s, the two ouutside lights are from cutter.
The site can be a bit overwhelming. You can call and have a talk to them.
Mars also have a new range of qb’s out but without the heatsinks they still generate quite a bit of heat. I know its more money but you’ll be battling the heat with the old stile lights you have to no end, even with an extraction hood.
Being up there you will eventually need a dehumidifier aswell…

4 Likes

I looked at some HLG 550s, if I had my time again I would have got them. Unfortunately I have to stick with what I have got until this grow is over. We are almost through the wet season now and the temps will soon start dropping to around the low 20s. Just need to get through the next 2 to 3 weeks.

Thanks for the link I didnt know about those guys I will definitely check that out. Thanks again for all your help mate

2 Likes

No worries mate, always keen to help out an Aussie. I’m actually a Kiwi living here. Love living in Aussie…

4 Likes

Yeah mate its an awesome country we have here. Been to a lot of different countries but wouldnt be anywhere else. We are very lucky here.

I just checked on my plants this morning and noticed something. I bought feminised seeds but has this plant gone in to flower?? Have they given me an auto?

6 Likes

Nice hello mate! Im a kiwi also i hail from tokoroa. I immigrated to the U.s. in 1978 and have lived here ever since.

5 Likes

May need a closer photo.
What makes you think she’s in flower, your lights on 18/6?
Once they are ready to flip they can look like they are starting to flower. They should keep growing, she’s just letting you know she’s mature enough for the flip.
On the other hand, if it’s an auto she’ll just do what she wants. May get an early harvest. Let her go and see what happens…

5 Likes

Kia ora @PreyBird1,
1978 is the same year I got to Australia.
Bet the US government won’t deport you if you get cought growing. Damn Australian goverment is kicking us out if we’re cought being naughty…

2 Likes

Just from watching videos I thought the plant started growing bud sites that look like these. Like I said its my first grow I haven’t seen this before.

Yes I am still running the lights 18/6. Wasnt going to flip for another 2 weeks at least.

Cheers

5 Likes

My girl.
She’s still in veg but ready to flip at any time. Going to leve her for another week or two…
You can see the tips look like they are definitely ready to mature…

She’s looking a bit ragged, just finished a training session…

5 Likes

Whats your method of training mate?

2 Likes

Wow what a weird coincidence.

1 Like

Scrog (screen of green), got an old security door and just tie them down. Takes a little work but with the Aussie laws I want to get as much as posable from my two plants. This way each individual bud will mature getting plenty of air and light.

5 Likes

So you are not topping or fimming or anything like that?

3 Likes

I do top. Once deliberately, then we have mishaps and some times they end up getting toped accidentally. I find if I top too many times my screen will get over crowded. Then I’ll have to thin her out after I flip. As I said,.I like to give each bud it’s room…

6 Likes

There is a bit to learn. I have the scrog nets, not 100% sure what I am doing yet. I’ll have a crack at it though. I probably should have started with a smaller tent for my first grow and less plants just until I learnt everything.

2 Likes

Hi @ozgrow,
If you have some nets and are planing to scrog in your tent somthing like this can be made from pvc sauced at the local hardware. .

( photo courtesy of @el_kabong, hope you don’t mind mate)
Fairly certain @pomeroymc has made these and could give some guidance if needed…

5 Likes

My first guess would be water then too little of something, maybe nitrogen which effects the root system too. Not just the ph, yours is a little high, but where are you getting from? Let your coco dry out more helps oxygen get to the roots. If it is just one plant I would do what you did maybe flush it real good with known good water and just move it and watch, should respond like the next day. The stuff you are using is good and usually doesn’t have too many root. One more thing I took another look and the leaves seem a little light in color so I would say watch your watering intervals and check when you see yellow leaves, if your coco is wet it will cause this but your on top of it 10 points, hope this helps.

4 Likes