Smoking something different today

Got a big 11 lb pork shoulder that I’m gonna smoke today for about 10 hours.

It’s gonna be delicious. This is my “other” hobby. :sunglasses:

More pics and updates to come

12 Likes

Yummies :v:t2::sunglasses::v:t2:

1 Like

Do you have papers big enough

6 Likes

on the smokey mountain! nice bro! about to fire up my Traeger shortly to smoke some ribs.

2 Likes

My fav state :ok_hand:
@Maz are you sharing ? :man_shrugging:
Guess not :man_facepalming:

This is the rub I used today. You should try it if you haven’t yet, pretty damn good. Notably it doesn’t have any sugar in it so that’s huge for some people. I added some brown sugar to the rub for sweetness but we use it all the time on ribs without.

4 Likes

I was gonna say you are gonna freeze your butt off…then I saw the trees in the background…(sigh) lol…27 degrees here. Only 3 months to go!

Mid 50’s here on the coast. Half moon bay CA

1 Like

Yum…i was gonna smoke a salmon but its too cold an i dont have a cold weather grille insulator cover…

1 Like

Tell ya a little story from when I lived on the left coast…Lived in the San Ramone valley at the base of Shadow mountain. Worked at the General Electric Plant in Oakland as foreman of the Machine Shop. Decided to go on a party boat and do some fishing. We left out of Half Moon Bay, don’t remember the name of the charter boat, too long ago it was 1974. So anyway, everyone loaded up and we chugged out into the ocean and wandered around a bit till the Captain said OK. Guess he located fish on the finder…so we all got our rods baited up and fished away. I caught a 50lb ling cod and turned out to be the biggest fish of the day. When we got to the dock the Captain walks up to me and says…listen I’m so sorry I forgot to collect $5 from everyone before we left…see we collect it and whoever catches the biggest fish gets the pot. The “pot” would have been like $300. That was a lot in 1974. Wish he wouldn’t have even told me. So anyway that’s my story about Half Moon Bay.

3 Likes

Two hours in… taking on some color

Using hickory wood

8 Likes

I haven’t smoked a salmon in quite a while but it always comes out so good, and I always wonder why I don’t make it more often.

How cold is it out there?

1 Like

I use a high end maple syrup extract and dried cherrys garlic , Worcester
It’s a really good red lobster copy cat.

2 Likes

Damn, that looks good, crackling is going to be delicious. I have been dealing with pigs, pork and piglets the entire day. Might be getting involved in processing pork, not something I am looking forward to. Bacon sandwich for me tonight. Enjoy your smoking.

3 Likes

Nice maz I got a lil electric smoker I use all the time I do turkeys ribs corn on the cob pirnil I’ll smoke damn near anything

1 Like

1 hour into the smoke @225 with applewood

4 Likes

7 hours in. Smells great

6 Likes

Looks yummy for sure!

2 Likes

I have a traeger as well. Best chicken cooker ever. We’ve cooked everything on there, we love it. I just felt like cookin with charcoal and wood chunks today.

3 Likes

Ha i got a traeger. Love that thing sooooo much. Smoked desserts are amazing. Smoked apple pie. I love a smoked pineapple also.

6 Likes