Strain & Breeder Recommendations - High Yield

I am currently shopping for seeds for my first grow. Looking for strong genetics and a high yield if possible. I’ve done a bit of shopping and found that Barney’s Farm has some seeds with claims of massive yields, such as Glookies which boasts up to 25% THC content, and yields up to 800g/m2 indoor and up to 3,000g per plant outdoor. Is there any merit to these claims, or are they totally unrealistic?

Who is your favourite breeder, and what is your favourite strain? Thanks in advance!

4 Likes

Those sites are.complete BS on their numbers

If.you are looking for seed DM me

2 Likes

Welcom to this wonderful forum.
Strong genetics are a must for a good growing experience, but don’t forget about the lights!
It’s the biggest investment you’ll probably have to make at first and the easier to screw up.
There are plenty of more knowledgeable growers than me that will be happy to help you sort it out if you need! Just ask, they are really nice :nerd_face:

If you’re looking for a passionate seed breeder that stands behind their product, I would strongly suggest that you listen to @MK3_Pharms.
Even a noob like me got his seeds to sprout!.. ohhhhh, that sounds real weird…

I hope you have a real nice grow and lots of fun!

4 Likes

I’m rebuilding my menu. Just sold off about.25% of my stock to a few large companies. They are giving me royalties. And I currently am creating exclusive strains for my commercial clients.
DM me if you’d like to talk.

4 Likes

High @chronicalluke Welcome to the Network !!!

Mephisto, Dinafem, Night Owl and my favorite Linda Seeds all have strong genetics and a high yield ratio with many users that showoff the grows on reddit and growdiaries and other forums. Mephisto has it’s own reddit channel. It’s not BS. Proof is in the pics of quality grows.

There are a number of grow off competitions that are on most forums
Those grow-offs aren’t BS and is actually proof of the breeders work

But you as a first time grower don’t have the skills yet to “maximize” the yield yet. It’s nothing to be ashamed about, in fact your in for the greatest adventure of your life.

Don’t compare your grow with pictures of other peoples plants.
Genetics, skill, lights, medium, nutes all play a big part role on your grow, your going to make mistakes, mistakes that make you learn, mistakes that make you better.

Go with the flow, post often with pics in natural lighting, catching something early helps in the long run.

Enjoy that first grow no matter how it turns out.

6 Likes

Definitely going to control what I can, I’ve got some great mentors I’ve been learning from. I was even given my first 1,000W HPS bulb, ballast, and shade as a gift.

Where I live you are legally allowed to grow 4 plants for recreational purposes, and I’ve got a space about 4’ x 11’. I was thinking I’d run four 20 gallon grow bags with pro-mix as my medium. For nutrients, I’m thinking I will use the Advanced Nutrients line (up to “Hobbyist” level on their nutrient calculator).

Not trying to go beyond my experience level, but I’ve had a lot of exposure to this and am well read on the subject. Just trying to get the most out of it. I appreciate all the advice, and look forward to making my first grow diary.

3 Likes

Appreciate the advice! Running a 1,000W HPS setup that was gifted to me by a mentor for now. I got a little antsy and pulled the trigger on some Barney’s Farm seeds from True North Seed Bank. Hopefully they aren’t bunk, I went with Glookies, Gorilla Zkittlez, and Shishkaberry. They had absurd claims in terms of yield, but I figured I’d give them a shot.

3 Likes

Sounds like you’ve got what you need for a good grow: the right equipment, the right attitude, and the right people to help you out along the way.

Have you got a way to control your environment’s temperature and humidity? It is especially critical for seed starting.

4 Likes

I have a couple of ventilation ports in the room, was planning to run an intake and an exhaust fan. Nothing by way of humidity control planned as of now, should I consider running a dehumidifier?

1 Like

Depends where you’re growing for what you need. I’m in the Canadian prairies, so in the winter with young plants I actually need to add humidity.

Get your environment dialed in and you’ll have great success. First thing I do with any new space is to get a few controllers to have handle my temperature and humidity (hooked up to heater/AC, humidifier/dehumidifier depending on what the site needs at the time) so I know the only thing I need to worry about are the plants themselves.

3 Likes

If you talking about a high yielding strain with a low leaf to nug ratio, massive cola’s etc, Malawi Kush from Gold Crown Seeds was a killer producer of quality bud outdoors.

6 Likes

Those are great beans barney never lets me down always happy w him;) his vanilla kush makes superb hash

2 Likes

Looks like a great plant to trim .i bet i could trim 5lb a day lol

2 Likes

Yes put a cowboy film on, feet up and trim away. Very easy plant in many ways. One problem, not complaining, was the cola’s were to heavy for the stems.

5 Likes

Best possible problem;)

3 Likes

The problems I like. :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

Nothing some bamboo wont fix;)

1 Like

Grab some of my GSC x Cube

Or Bruce banner x catpiss

@devjyarn I’m in Atlantic Canada, so not quite as dry but similar in terms of temperatures. Definitely need to learn about fine tuning the climate of the room. How much do ideals vary from strain to strain? Certainly appreciate all the advice!

@chrisj Wow, that’s a great looking plant. I wish our climate allowed for such impressive outdoor results. Our grow season only lasts from about mid-late June to early-mid October at the latest. I was considering building a greenhouse to try to extend the season a bit on both ends and improve the results. In any case, thanks for the recommendation and the pics. Much appreciated!

@hoppiefrog that’s a relief! After reading many reviews I was beginning to thing I’d wasted my money on the Barney’s seeds. Many people seem to claim that Barney’s has poor genetics, have a poor germination rate, and are prone to herms. I was beginning to regret my decision, so I’m thrilled to hear that you’ve had good experiences with them.

4 Likes