Stubby plants

Hey guys just started my own indoor growing about a month ago. My set up is a 16sqft indoor tent. The lights im using are the Mara hydro ts600. My plants look healthy but they are very short maybe 8in height at most but pretty bushy like they’ve just reached one month of growing. Wondering if hanging my lights too low is causing it grow bushy rather than branch out high. Just seeing if there’s any techniques to help them grow higher. Or is it my light being too low causing them not too grow in height?

9 Likes

the first thing i would do is get those girls out of those 1 gal pots and move them into 3 to 5 gal pots 10 inches in veg seems very low to me are u following the manufactures recommendation for veg height? Ur plants look very healthy welcome to the group and good luck with ur grow

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum! What is the distance from the top of your plants to the light? What strain is your plants and are they Auto or Photo?

8 Likes

Thanks for the welcome! To be honest I started them from seed. This is all pretty new to me. My lights sit about 10in from the top of the 1 gallon pots. As for the strain they are from Hawaii that my step dad bought right outside a local Walmart.I’ve am also in the process of determining male or female plants. The seller said guarantee females but I have little confidence that they are.

7 Likes

Whats the genetics of the plants? Thats a pretty big leaf on the bottom right. Lovely looking plants. Am curious, as your 1month in and the plants ‘dont look like they’ve been stretching for light’, so the light source must be good to keep them bushy before you go into flower.

7 Likes

I’d have to ask my step dad to be sure but I believe it’s a cross between wedding cake and something else. And yes they aren’t really “stretching” for the lights besides bushing outwards. With that being said is there a technique to remedy that? Or do I just raise my lights? Also is Ppfd something to consider? I’m only growing for personal recreation use.

7 Likes

I was just looking at this PAR Chart and for vegging you probably need your distance from 14 to 18 inches away to get taller plants and you might need to get a light for flower, you’re going to need at least 850 or more PAR to have tight dense buds, or invest in UV Light pucks for the last couple of weeks of flower.

7 Likes

Thank you! I will definitely raise the lights tonight! I wasn’t sure because the ppfd output for that light is only so high. Didn’t know if lowering the light will optimize the output for ppfd for the plants.

7 Likes

@nacho151 raise the light, deffo. I’d say in the next week you’ll see some node spacing, the leafs are huge must be the spectrum your under as well, lacking in some wavelengths.

6 Likes

Appreciate the tips and knowledge! Is there any lights you can recommend for a 2x2x4 tent? I’m not exactly sure what to be looking at when it comes to lights all I know is if prefer LED lights since I live in AZ I’d like to reduce the heat output

6 Likes

Another thing to take into consideration is the size of your tent. If your tent is 16sqft, I am assuming the tent is 2ftx2ftx4ft, which is pretty small for the number of plants your growing and you might want to keep them small or get a bigger tent! Remember this is just my opinion other growers that know more than me about lights will have suggestions for you. Like @TechDCo said your plants look really good at this point!

6 Likes

Thank you for the knowledge!

6 Likes

I think 2x2 would be sq ft and 2x2x4 is cubic feet, I think OPs tent is 4 sq ft and not 16sq ft (4x4) @majiinluu420

4 Likes

Give this a gander, instead of me ratting on lol

6 Likes

I hope your plants are females and they dont have a herm trans moment lol

5 Likes

Is that based on the genetics? Or a condition causing hermaphroditism?

5 Likes

To be honest, I only use my 2x2x4 to clone and in the seedling stage and I use a T5 light in it. I don’t know what your budget is. If you can afford it and have space get a 3x3x6 tent and check out this light if you have high temperatures, the driver on this light can be setup outside the tent to reduce the heat in the tent. As for lights get an adjustable wattage light (Dimmer switch) that you can afford that have a detachable driver to reduce in the tent.

This light can be bought on Amazon and if you use the code HIGHIGAN you get 10% off.
Check out @wow_arizona he has great results in the Arizona heat!

6 Likes

I am only running two or one plant in a 4x 2 tent.

I have several kind LED lights with removable ballast, as well as an AC infinity with removable ballast. They do reduce the heat a bit, but the light itself makes most of the heat.

I find that having a lot of air movement is really critical.

EDIT: I do have a 2 x 2 x 4 tent, but am not growing in it. I do have a clone tent, too. That is operating

6 Likes

@treetrunks you are correct I was thinking Square foot and calculated cubic feet. The reason I assumed it is a 2x2x4 is based on the Mars Hydro TS600 light in the picture. It is a good light! The Mars Hydro TS600 if I remember right is 18.5 inches by 18.5 inches, if you look at the picture he posted the light is almost touching each side of the tent, which would mean the tent is only 2 foot wide. Also the only 5 foot tall 2x2 grow tent I have found is an AC Infinity tent and from what I saw in the picture it’s not an AC Infinity tent.
EDIT Just found the dimensions for the TS600: 12.2"L x 14"W x 1.4"H
@majiinluu420 something else I noticed looking at your pictures, you might want to up pot your plants to 3 gallon or 5 gallon pots to make sure they are not root bound.

5 Likes

Thank you everyone for dropping some knowledge on ya newbie. I plan on taking all of this knowledge and using it best suited for me! Thank you for answering the questions I had

4 Likes