SuperNewb! please help

As long as the plants are happier thatbis all that matters eh?:joy:

4 Likes

Cutting the roots with a long knife if you have to is no more harmful than inverting the pot on the back of a 5 gallon bucket. Iā€™ve seen, but never used, fabric pots that have velcro going up the side so it can be opened and peeled back.

3 Likes

Mine are all in 5 gallon and it is plenty of room felt pots I think are better cause of more oxygen just make sure whither u use a plastic or felt pot that u use a riser and a saucer or something underneath the riser and pot

5 Likes

The hydro shop guy is not really wrong but a hassle nahhh. I just take scissors and slice down the side of the pots and peel em away a little from the dirt. turn it up side down with the plant stem between your two middle fingers and make sure the flowers dont hit anything because they can snap easy. Put a tarp down or plastic its messy. I transplanted mine during flower twice no issues. Now i go big on the 2nd transplant.

3 Likes

Hey im new also! I have a little knowledge because I did dabble in the black arts in 1998. But im going to harvest my white rhino [hermie] tomorrow morning. And set up the new quantum lights i got. And maybe clone the runtz strain and test out the new turbo cloner i just got alsoā€¦ so much to do so little time.

2 Likes

Same no matter the pots I usually transplant solo cup to 2 gallon to 5 or 7 gallon to finish indoors anyways outdoors 2 gallon to finishing spot or 10+ gallon soft pots I wont use hard plastic outdoors due to past issue with roots binding and root rot also plastic pots heat up far more in the sun than fabric as well

3 Likes

I am receiving 3 strains of auto seeds Sunday and everything I have read says autos do not like transplanting due to recovery time so I bought these seedling bags to start them and then plant the whole bag into their forever pots that have a zipper on each side so you can just unzip and peel away. I wonā€™t transplant the autos but the zipper bags will come in handy for my photos.

unnamed

3 Likes

Nice thats a great idea hmmm. Does everyone like taller pots or short wider pots? I have seen many in different kinds now and bought ones off amazon and i really dont know. Im kinda leaning towards skinney but taller.

2 Likes

Agreed, Good idea . Next time I will try the fabric pots to compare.

2 Likes

Cannabis roots shoot wide and shallow usually no more than 24" deep my fabric pots are 24"tall and wide. They are 25&30 gal . Mind you I have lots of space and run big plants.

5 Likes

I watched an episode of cannicribs and there master grower at phat farms said they have never had PM and its because in part by the fact they do not reuse the fabric pots. He said and i quote there cheap enough to throw away and not use ever and therefore get no molds fungus or anything. Clean and sterile from the beginning. I also read about taking the clone and making the cuts under water with a scalpel so there is no air embolism in the stem. All this is new to me so keep it up were all learning.

4 Likes

I got some 20 gallon pots and mother of GOD there huge. I could only do 2 plants in a 4x4. But the wide roots info is awesome to know thanks ill buy shorter wide pots then thanks.

4 Likes

Itā€™s not. I have the ones with velcro down the side and they are okay, but I prefer the regular sides without velcro. Just make sure your plant is pretty dry, put your hands/palms on the bottom with your fingers going up the sides then scrunch or pull down the sides with your fingers and palms still holding the bottom. Kind of like collapse it down like those new silicone collapsible bowls out now. Turn and repeat until youā€™ve gotten her out of current pot.

After that, throw them into the washing machine, hot/sterile then reuse. I grow so many I didnā€™t want to buy a new pot every grow because I upsize my pots regularly. Usually 3 or 4 per plant per grow. Gets expensive when you are growing 20 or more plants at a time.

5 Likes

Must have a lot more $$$ than me. Both times I have had PM was in new plastic buckets. Most people I know do clones with a primary cut and immediately into a glass of water to avoid embolisms and the when everything is ready pull the cut clone out of the water, do a quick razor cut and immediately into cloning gel or powder and then into the medium. I took 2 cuttings one time and just stuck them into dirt. No rooting hormone, special soil, or misting and they both rooted.

3 Likes

Hi All,

Quick question seems kind of silly, butā€¦ I can not figure it out myself. Are all cmh 315 bulbs the same? I purchased several cmh fixtures 315 bulbs included (3100k) so Iā€™mon one of my trips to the hydro store I was told that in flower I need the Phillips Afro Grow 3100 k/930. Is the spectrum different? He says they are. I have to purchase another light and I do not want the expense of another bulb if I have all of the same bulbs.

2 Likes

3100k for flower 4200k for veg you can run either out of any cmh hood

2 Likes

And just like with anything, there are different qualities of bulbs, so usually, you do get what you pay for.

3 Likes

I paid 85.00 per bulb, but Iā€™m thinking I bought the same bulb as I had in the fixture I bought already. Ugh. I have to really start doing better homework I am so naive.

3 Likes

So far the Phillipā€™s bulbs are the best Iā€™ve used by FAR

3 Likes

It happens when starting out I was lucky enough where 75% of my family are old school growers so I had a little advantage over some when I started but thatā€™s why were all here and hey at least youā€™ll have a replacement when u need it

3 Likes