Terpenes - and all things under this subject

You obviously have a more refined palate than we do :slight_smile:

And congrats on the awards!

3 Likes

I think it is the bud, not the pallete :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

@cannassentials - Thanks for the reply :slight_smile: I will start off by saying Alaska has some seriously crappy weed. I think all the stuff from the lower 48 that nobody would buy is sent up here. Seriously. I’ve seen sack after sack of indescribably horrible looking weed. The legal market here will likely show Alaskans what they’ve been missing. I hope to be a part of that.

I’m actually relieved to hear there’s actually bud that tastes like the names suggest. I’ll keep my expectations high, and keep searching…or hopefully my grows will produce what I’m looking for. Now I wish I’d picked up some Lemon Meringe
https://www.instagram.com/p/BBDCOfQlcE9/?taken-by=exoticgenetix

2 Likes

Yeah maybe I need to get some better quality bud. Time to try some top shelf and not just what’s on sale :slight_smile:

Nice work with the Awards @cannassentials! I’m a big fan of the Trichome Institute that judged the Dope Cup. Max Montrose is leading the industry in grading Cannabis and it’s impressive to have come out on top at such a prestigious event. Max Montrose recently had a webinar I attended where he mentioned how fantastic the quality of Oregon Cannabis was. He was blown away by the level of quality that Oregon Cannabis growers were producing.

2 Likes

I’m still not getting the attraction to Cat Piss though. ok … great… it smells like cat piss. I can do without smoking that. I don’t eat papayas for the same reason. The taste and aroma of papaya reminds me of dog shit. It gives me flashbacks of a little spade shovel doing lawn duty as a kid.

3 Likes

That’s interesting on your reaction to papaya. I wonder if some of that is genetic like it is for cilantro. For a percentage of the population, cilantro tastes like soap, and they suspect that it’s a genetic pre-disposition:

4 Likes

My mom can’t stand Cilantro, and it’s my favorite herb. I’m guessing the genetics are passed through the father. I feel so sorry for my mom and so lucky myself.

There’s a similar effect with asparagus urine too. Only 25%-40% of the population can smell asparagus urine (myself included).

2 Likes

That one was a surprise to me as I thought it was that some people produced the smell and others didn’t, rather than it being a smell ability.

1 Like

Yep. Everyone makes the same compounds in their urine after eating asparagus, only a select few can actually smell those compounds.

Another fun fact: Only half the population can smell hydrogen cyanide (HCN). To them it smells like almonds.

2 Likes

Interesting stuff. I’ve got the Asparagus urine smell gift…if you want to call it that. I definitely notice every time I eat Asparagus.

Kind of off the subject…but does anyone eat red beets? It does something fierce to my digestive system. I freak out about 12 hours after eating beets, then I remember what I ate and I sigh with relief. My 2 year old son ate a black crayon recently… We didn’t know he did, and when we went to change his diaper we freaked out. My wife was on the phone with the hospital immediately and the nurse asked her if we have crayons. The lightbulb turned on, and again we were so relieved.

1 Like

This got off topic pretty quick. Does anybody have any good sources on terpene uses OUTSIDE of medical cannabis based sources such as steep hill, SC Labs, leafy, etc? Ideally I’m looking for something like essential oils companies who are interested in the potentially scientifically verifiable information, not just “I feel like” or “the spirit of the plant told me” or “according to traditional beliefs”. I’m looking for sources that could be used as a reference to train my staff with. I believe in all kinds of things (not trying to annoy anyone with the above statements) but I want people who can actually provide ANY amount of hard science to back their claims. In no way am I trying to doubt any kind of indigenous/non-western verified plant-spirit-medicine beliefs, but from a legal standpoint there’s no backing there, and if I teach my staff to recommend a strain based on terpenes we need some legal credibility to back it up. Sooooo…

Anybody have any unique quality resources they use to learn about terpenes?

4 Likes

@strainbalboacaregive

Absolutely. You just described Max Montrose and the Trichome Institute.

Watch this video and you will get an idea of what they do and the science behind their methodology. This is a webinar from last week.

1 Like

I suffer from ADD so please keep me on topic! :slight_smile: Seriously.Thanks for the re-direct @jbohannan8 One thing I’m very interested in is terpene content in cannabis. I just asked @oganalytical who’s a testing lab in Oregon if they have terpene testing they’d be willing to share for the cannabis they test. I think it would be interesting to compare terpene testing of same name strains to see if there are slight or large differences in terpene content. I think it’s possible that you can take one strain of Cannabis and grow it in two different places and get different terpene test results. I’m guessing that different grow mediums, different lighting, grow environments, and different nutrient programs will produce slightly different or drastically different terpene results. Hopefully we can collect some of these terpene test results and compare.

If anyone has terpene testing results or knows someone who can provide some, please post here and let’s see where it leads. Thanks!

2 Likes

I strongly believe the best terpene production is outdoors (or ‘managed’ outdoors) in true sunlight, healthy organic soil with a rich and dynamic soil food web of microbes, bacteria and fungi…

3 Likes

Certain terpenes have been investigated outside the cannabis space, particularly as they pertain to wines and conifers. If you want a good source to look for articles about the medicinal effects of terpenes, I definitely recommend NIH.gov. You can always look to Google Scholar too.

Terpenoids: natural inhibitors of NF-kappaB signaling with anti-inflammatory and anticancer potential - PubMed – evidence that some terpenoids have anti-inflammatory properties and anti-cancer benefits.
Terpenes and the Lipid–Protein–Partitioning Theory of Skin Penetration Enhancement | Pharmaceutical Research - Some terpenoids have the ability to go through skin, much like certain chemicals used in lotion.
The use of d-limonene preparation as a dissolving agent of gallstones - PubMed - d-Limonene can help with kidney stones. Not sure why chirality comes into play with this, but w/e.

5 Likes

You could use Google Scholar to research that way: https://scholar.google.com/

For instance if you look up Limonene:
https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=limonene&btnG=&as_sdt=1%2C6&as_sdtp=
you’ll find a bunch of research around treating mammary tumors in rats.

This article, while from an alternative health magazine, is a good overview of the literature that includes using limonene for disolving gallstones, treating reflux and the cancer applications:

Most of what you’ll find in Scholar is primary sources so you’ll have to do most of the leg work. I don’t know of any good secondary sources outside of the cannabis-based sources you mention.

4 Likes

Also, for those of you without chemistry backgrounds who are wondering what the l and d before limonene (or any other terpene) stands for…

It’s something called chirality. Basically you can have a molecule with the exact same chemical makeup and structure, but as a mirror image. In most cases, these molecules are chemically indistinguishable, but they have different effects on the body. These chemicals can be differentiated because they reflect polarized light in opposite directions. And, interestingly enough, human noses (and animal noses) smell the enantiomers differently.

Some biological process will only use certain chiralities – the sugars we all know and love are the d-forms of glucose, galactose, etc. Synthetic production of chemicals usually produces 50/50 production of either l or d forms. Chemists usually need enzymes to prefer one particular enantiomer over another.

7 Likes

@Hunter You are a wealth of wisdom! Great stuff.

3 Likes