TreeTrunks Grow and Hash Thread

So is the 3 ounces of keef that I got sitting in jars curing? Or does it have to be rolled up and do a hash ball. Next question what’s the difference between stuffing keef in a bag and pressing it versus squishing it into a ball and then pressing it?

9 Likes

I think it would still be considered curing in the jars, but loose trichromes are supposed to cure differently then pressed hash. Here are 2 charts from the Trichome Research Initiative on a 6 month study of curing flower vs loose resin vs pressed hash

Source: Trichome Research Initiative — Frenchy Cannoli Brand

8 Likes

I managed to top the snowcaine today for the first time but things have been a bit hectic with the holidays. Hopefully I can get my next BBP application done tomorrow. The plants have been responding very well to 1250ppm, which is alot higher then my previous grow under t5s without BBP (1050~ppm)

8 Likes

Looking beautiful Tree ! You got this !!!

7 Likes

Did another BBP treatment last night at 1ml/4oz. Made a high CFM bar from a broom stick and some zip ties to help keep the walls from pushing inward. The cement shoes has just about outgrown the veg tent, even with the bar she’s starting to touch the side of the tent. Ordered the last few things I need for the new breaker and circuit for the flower tent and hoping to get it in asap.

9 Likes

The snowcaine grew back some odd looking branches after surviving the drought a few weeks back. I ended up cleaning up some of the lower nodes afterwards

Going to do another application of BBP tonight and finally got the circuit for the flower tent taken care of this morning. Going to finish vegging out the larger plant in 4x4 and move the smaller plant back to the 4x2 once I manage to take a trip to the hydro store for some more 1/2 inch and airline tubing.

9 Likes

Gosh, they both look nice tree !!
My guess is the ‘survivor’ is getting about ready to kick it in gear !!

I believe you are seeing that thick growth at the bottom of the ‘survivor’ is it was working with a somewhat compromised root system…the BBP is going to stimulate that branching which was expressed as accelerated veg growth in the unaffected plant FWIW

8 Likes

Going to take a few clones off of the cement shoes today and flip it to flower. The snowcaine is going back into the veg tent for a couple weeks. I’ve been using distilled water for my BBP treatments because I haven’t gotten an r.o. unit yet. I have run out of Distilled water and am unable to find any in my area. I’ve tried multiple stores but everyone’s sold out, I think I’m going to have to pause BBP applications untill I can find some more distilled water or get an RO system setup

6 Likes

You can use bottled water. I think most of it is RO anyway. Just give Bob a call he’ll let you know
Hey @TheMadFlascher… got a question for you above :+1:t3:

3 Likes

Yup
tree look around for one of those water vending machines…they are usually used for refilling empty 5 gal water bottles…that stuff is almost always R/O water…FWIW
Hope you have some luck…actually most ‘distilled’ water is R/O water these days…the R/O is usually capable of dropping TDS (total desolved solids) to the equivalent standard and then they can sell the R/O as ‘distilled’…hell you have snow around, I wouldn’t be afraid of melting that for use in a pinch !?

7 Likes

Keep in mind tho a 30gal trash can, will melt and give you a 1/2 gallon of some dirty ass water, unless you’re in the mountains.

8 Likes

LOL, guess I should have prefaced that with ‘clean snow’ !

9 Likes

I apologize for the giant post. The plants themselves are doing well but the clones I took a week ago look pretty rough. I was hoping that getting a seedling mat hooked up to a temp controller would help as my last clone almost froze to death. I have rooted clones before and kept plants around for a few generations but my success rate is Terrible around 50/50 and they usually look pretty bad by the time root and either the tray will all root slowly or all not.

I’ve tried plain tap water, 1/8 and 1/4 strength nutrient solution. I’ve also tried cutting different sizes clones and from different areas of the plant. I always take small numbers of clones 2-4 at a time cutting at a 45 degree angle under a node that I remove the branches/leaves from with either a sterile razor blade or scalpel and dip them into Wilson roots cloning gel. I always take one at a time so I can get them into the gel as fast as possible and then stick them into pre soaked and phd to 6.0 1.5 inch rockwool cubes with no plastic sleeves. I also shake off the cubes a few times to try and remove excess moisture before I take the clones. Then I place them in a humidity dome under a 2ft 24watt 6400k sunblaster t5 florescent on 18/6. This time I set the temp on the mat to 75-77 and hung the probe near the top of the clones inside the dome. I’ve been roughly trying to follow this schedule:

day 1-3 do nothing

day 4
open both vents about 1/4 of the way. watch the plants over the next 15-60 minutes. if any start to dramatically droop, close the vents and delay the remaining steps by 1 day.

day 5
open both vents about 3/4 of the way. watch the plants over the next 15-60 minutes. if any start to dramatically droop, close the vents and delay the remaining steps by 1 day.

day 6
open both vents all the way. take the dome and move it slightly off of the tray about an inch to allow additional venting. watch the plants over the next 15-60 minutes. if any start to dramatically droop, close the vents and delay the remaining steps by 1 day. check the weight of the cubes. you want the cubes to not remain saturated. you cannot let them get completely dry either. as the cubes begin to dry the roots will stretch to locate additional water. however, if you think they are excessively dry then water them at this time with RO/distilled water only.

day 7
remove the domes. the plants should have been weened off the humidity over the last 3 days and should remain standing up while the domes are off. sometimes this process is too quick for some strains, so it might take an additional day or two before you will be able to completely remove the domes without the cuts drooping. if you didn’t water on day 6, water today. the lazy way is to fill up the trays with water and let them sit for 30 mins. slightly tilt the trays and remove the remainnig water with a turkey baster. an arguable better way would be to use the turkey baster to water each cut individually. give each cut the amount of water you feel necessary.
day 8and 9- do nothing

day 10-17
check for roots. water if necessary.

day 18+: any cuts that are not showing roots may need special care. first look carefully for roots that are coming out of the side by the plastic label. if there are no roots, give the plant the slightest tug. if it is “stuck” in the rockwool give them a complete watering then give them 5-6 gentle shakes to get the water out. we want there to be new water but we want them to dry out quick so the roots will attempt to stretch to locate water. this is basically a flush. if some strains prove to be harder to clone the mother may not have been healthy or you can attempt to increase root temps for a couple more days. when you tug them, if they come out of the cube, at day 18, it’s time to toss em; imo. if they are still stuck they should show roots very soon. let them dry out.

This time around I put some water in the bottom of tray and started opening the vents earlier because there was alot of condensation on the walls of the dome. Im also finding the rockwool cubes seem to be drying out every once in a while and the clones will tip over from being top heavy. I think this round I may have kept them in too high a humidity the first few days and then started to open up the sides of the dome too early before I over watered the cubes.

11 Likes

Tree, I would really like to defer to @PreyBird1 on this subject…From my personal experience, I have been frustrated in my attempts to replicate a seemingly simple procedure…when I finally throw up my hands I look for a well qualified or expert individual and admit my frustration and failure to them !!

My chosen chore was learning to bud graft english walnut buds on black walnut rootstocks…come to find out I was trying to graft at the wrong time…the cambium layer wasn’t ‘slipping’ so no matter how careful I was I had already failed. Next I learned that florists tape wasn’t going to cut it for wrapping the graft…they make ‘grafting tape’ for a REASON !

My only point here is there are individuals here that cut and clone very successfully ! I would communicate with them and follow their advice explicitly ! Whatever materials they are using, I would use. I would take some pictures of clones I had cut and ask for pictures of theirs !!!

I appreciate your sharing your frustrations here and I’ll bet you can glean some good advice…

Good Luck !

7 Likes

I clone 3 ways. Aeroponic, kratkys non circulating hydroponic, and cubes or plugs. This last time i tried something different. I used my cloner and used no dome. I split the base of the stems. They rooted in 9 days but i pushed them to to 16 days before i transplanted them. If i want to root slowly i use the kratkeys method. With a little dome that has a floating plug tray it keeps just the tips of the plugs in the nutrients at all times. So you can root when the plugs are soaked. Last time i did root riot plugs. I cut my clones like you did Tree fast because they will wilt regardless. I put half an inch of water/nutrients in the tray and come back every day and check the water.

Do this also.

1. Lights: 24/7
  2. Nutrients: clonex clone and seedling nutrients. I always use this no matter what because the nutrients in it also have the rooting hormones . I just dont let them dry out ever. But i am going to test the hormex dip and grow. I already have there nutrients and i use it also occasionally.
    Also lets get @cooperm in here hes a professional cloner!
9 Likes

Thank you both for the responses! When you say floating tray do you mean this sort of thing? Grodan Gro-Smart Tray Insert Is tap water ok to use for cloning? And I’m wondering if I might be better off buying a turbo klone or something similar or if it would just be another thing for me to mess up lol.

5 Likes

I mean like these ones. I have 5 trays. I use them for vegetable seed sprouting and cloning. I make the nutrients and put it in the tray and clones in the plugs and the whole tray floats and all you have to do is swap the liquid out if its more than 2 weeks old.

https://parkseed.com/seed-starting/c/seed-starting/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAraSPBhDuARIsAM3Js4p_PGL7wM55llfe9CaeQFgc_dXwyvDzZzxgIsmydg2y67ZemxNZ_3saAuvhEALw_wcB

12 Likes

I have the big one and the small one. They’re great…:+1:t3:

8 Likes

Would those style plugs be ok to use in hydro? And how are you liking your turbo klone @PreyBird1 ? You seem to be having beautiful results with it
, I’ve been thinking of getting one for a while but I’m not sure if it would solve my cloning problems?

7 Likes

My current grow was started in those and then went to 6 inch rockwool cubes. :+1:t3:

7 Likes