We're going on an ADVENTURE!

wild question, but how do you guys feel about chicken manure for a compost dressing/possible compost tea?

I’m trying to incorporate my homestead as much as possible, to minimize in buying fertilizers and learn a new way of growing; So, how about it, has anyone tried anything like it?

6 Likes

I pass to @happilyretired I remember reading something in a journal of his that he uses it

6 Likes

Chicken manure for tea? I wouldn’t drink it!

Come on you guys KNEW I was going to go there. Don’t act all shocked.

8 Likes

@truthhound

8 Likes

I have horses, chickens,ducks,etc. all are good but as you say compost :slight_smile:

put on your plants right from the shed/pen some will burn, some will not

so I put them all into a compost heap turn them three four times and lime

than use it in my garden outside :wink:

inside soil-less

all the best and grow well

Dequilo

10 Likes

thanks! yeah i’m excited to be using natural amendments where possible!

8 Likes

I’m imagining a mexican american riding his horse in the middle of the street straight through NY in the undergoing sun with a fat joint between his lips. And the people in the streets running wild and screaming and shouting: "dequilo’s there, dequilo’s there! :horse_racing:

10 Likes

The only thing i would watch is maybe the nitrates, but those are present in all fertilizers. I was going to add the home depot stuff to my grows. I was advised against it, simply for the interaction of it and water over time affecting the acidity of the soil.I’m not going to say don’t use it and it doesn’t work because thats obviously a lie.

7 Likes

so far so good I gotta say. The soil has been super good here in Oregon! I’ve been using my starter compost and the plants seem happy, the microorganism life has been amazing… has me excited to see what’s to come!

8 Likes

You could always look into korean natural farming and incorporate your manure into making compost for your imo or just start a pile in general. Also will benefit from knf with livestock as well hope this helps

10 Likes

looking into it right now :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

As a note, Everytime i start my grow i always add in homemade compost to the soil mixture. If it’s natural you can have fungus gnats if its warm or even fruit flies. I dont have them now, i keep a small amount of compost sperate so it stays cold and let it stay dry for a bit before you mix it in to avoide the pests. It has worked for me. When i first started i didn’t even use much of any fertilizer except fox farm and it was at a minimum. At first i was only experimenting with soil mixtures and the biome. I even used to top dress with compost every month. All i was doing though, was introducing more fungus gnats.

But mixing it in at about 40% compost 60% soil and like a half handful of sand is a pretty good mix. Put some lava rocks or any rocks really at the bottom of your bucket or whatever about 1-2inches high then add your soil on top. It provides good drainage and even some silica and a health biome for your babies.

8 Likes

sounds great! Thanks @excommunicato ! I have some good river rocks in the bottom and just grabbed some sand! thank you for the help!

Also, side note, I couldn’thelp myself and decided to get myself a few more treats to try and play with some more…

First up is “Vice City” by ExoticGenetics(I used to grow his stuff professionally at one of the grows I worked and I’m a big fan of his stuff
after that it’s “Apples n Bananas” & “Kush Mints” both from Blimburn(not super knowledgable on them, but excited to learn more plus I adore Kush Mints :heart_eyes:
After that there is “Critical Cure CBD” it’s a1:1 THC CBD really low about 5-7% each that i’m really excited about making edibles with and the last ones are freebies that I haven’t opened yet.

Thanks for getting this far down… you’re the best!

11 Likes

we have a group :slight_smile: and meetings if you find the seed to be a problem :wink:

10 Likes

Yeah they’re not really exciting mate, another “white label” breeding company like ILGM

10 Likes

I am a big fan as well. One of my favorites. I frequent big stimys discord. Hes the grower with some skills. I like to listen to his live stages. :+1:

11 Likes

Actually they’re not breeders at all. Seed producing companies is a better term. F.e. Gelato was created by Sherbinski out of a Sunset Sherbet and a Thin mint GSC. But it might have been a very specific pheno, and then stabilised. Lots of work. Now what companies like Blimburn and ILGM do is, they will take any sherbet and thin mint, cross em, call it a Gelato and put the seeds out en mass…

11 Likes

kinda like knock-offs :wink:

12 Likes

Vice city sounds :fire:

8 Likes

What is the deal with the larger seed companies like ILGM or Crop King Seeds? Are they inherently bad in some way or is it a personal thing? I’m not looking for an argument I’m just trying to understand the tension between the “seed companies” and other growers in the community. Are they abusive and litigious or do they not give a fuck about anything else but MONEY? Anyone out there know a little something about it?

8 Likes