What kind of water do you use?

I’ve been buying gallons of distilled water as it has 0 ppm to start and it’s been working great. My problem is that I’m almost to the point of consuming 50-55 gall a week and need a better option.

I’m growing in coco and hand watering.

My current water supply kinda sucks and I’m considering an RO system.

What kind of water do you use? What kind of RO system do y’all recommend?

1 Like

I use rain water (6 to 10 ppm) then I bring it to about 60 ppm w/ cal. Mag… or by adding dolomite lime& bubbling for 24hr.

2 Likes

I use an RO Buddy I bought on Amazon. It’s cheap and easy. I attached it to some kind of plastic thingy and put a couple of hooks on it. I hang it on my utility sink and it hangs in the garage when not in use. It works great! I use roughly 15 to 20 gallons of RO water a week. Perfect for my current needs.

7 Likes

I was considering something along these lines… would an RO system be better or worse?

1 Like

RO is the way to go. Theirs lots of good affordable systems out there now @thatoneguy. @truthhound has a real nice system and they’ll save you alot of time and $$.

6 Likes

Ready to grab the RO Buddy myself. Tap ppms are off the chart.

1 Like

See I run a pur filter on my tap then I run it through a zero water pitcher then mix up my nutes then p.h.

3 Likes

Thinking of using something like that as a pre filter to the ro buddy.

2 Likes

I have reclaimed irrigation water in 170 ppms. I keep 440-880 gallons in 55 gallon plastic drums i get from the pepsi botteling plant for $10 each.

6 Likes

I get my ro water from water mill.
They are scattered around town.
5 gallons for $1.
I’m using 10 gallons a week now so I’m considering my own system

1 Like

Me too, I’ve got about 15 6 gal buckets that were from pool chlorine tablets. Cleaned them out and set them in the sun for a couple of weeks to get any leached chlorine out of the plastic, then every time it rains I fill anything empty back up. I’ve been doing this for a couple of years, and some of the water is that old, think I’m gonna get rid of some of them, as I don’t think I will ever run out even with half this many. My PH runs around 6.7 and my PPM is between 8 and 12 depending on if I get enough rain to let the dust and whatnot from the roof get washed off before I fill em up. I used to use a dehumidifier to collect my own distilled water but no more.

3 Likes

How did you come up with these ideas?

2 Likes

Me to not many people where I live so rain water either kiz it’s actually illegal to catch in my state since they outlaws people from homesteading in mass kuz to many people got sick heee

1 Like

Those are actually quite simple ideas

1 Like

The best part is I’m using the same buckets I took from my mom’s work she’s a head life guard for our area and teaches all the childer in r county to swim and how much chlorine they use at the public pool omg my mom has so many of those chlorine buckets so that’s what I catch my water in

1 Like

I will be the first one to day budy I world with injection molding for years and that water ur getting from any plastic bottling plant or plastic plant is not clean trust me I was a hydrolic mold setter techniction before I told the man to shove it and the water that is ran thru those machines will make u I was sketchd out jus walking into work every day

I was gonna ask if dehumidifier catch water can be used. Lol. I have an ro system i use but i was gonna say my dehumidifier catches 5 gallons easy every 2 or 3 days. I checked ph and it was like a 6.7 something and the ppm were like in the 40s or something its been a while since ive checked it. Will that water work well also like ro water or does the catch water contain something that ro does not. I know ro water is stripped of everything. Mine comes out at between 2 and 4 ppm from the tap.

1 Like

@Slym3r necessity is the mother of all inventions. I have barrels that are food grade (had olives from Greece in them), I double layer a PC. of non woven garden mesh over the top & screw the outer ring on barrels. Then I set the barrels far enough away from the eve that I only catch storm rain. ( light rain can be dirty). Then I pump it inside garage into a insulated barrel w/ 24/7 aireation…Can you tell I 'm retired??..Is this TMI??

6 Likes

I think it’s anything over 200 ppm is hard water u really want ur water under 200

2 Likes

My brother jus said that quote to me yesterday

2 Likes