White Paper "Ultraviolet Supplement for Cannabis Production"

Read our free white paper, “Ultraviolet Supplement for Cannabis Protection” at http://illumitex.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/UV-White-Paper.06.2018v2.pdf

Within this white paper you will learn:

The effects of three different UV wavebands including UV-A, UV-B, and UV-C
An initial trial performed by Illumitex to measure these effects
Considerations for working under the UV radiation

Enjoy reading,
Yan

9 Likes

A very good read indeed. This is one of the things I was wondering about myself over the weekend so thank you for bringing this to our attention.

In the paper it mentions that there were a range of parameters that were tested and that “determining an effective intensity and dose for your crop(s) is strongly suggested.” While I completely agree that there will always be specific needs for different cultivars, etc., is there a “suggested” parameter to be used as a general start point for Cannabis?

4 Likes

Thank you for the comments, Bryan! We will share more info about intensity and dose of UV for Cannabis once we get more data, probably around the time when we launch the product in the near future.

Best regards,
Yan

4 Likes

Is this a technology you plan to exclusively integrate into your products? Or do you plan on releasing a product to be used in a supplemental fashion with existing lighting regimes?

4 Likes

We can do both. Which way do you prefer as a grower? I would love to hear your opinion. Let’s have a chat offline if you are interested. My email is yrenbutcher@illumitex.com

3 Likes

Great. I would actually love to have a conversation with you. I’ll email you tonight.

2 Likes

Hi Yan,

thanks for the interesting white paper. I am happy to see that the UV topic is covered proffesionally and based on profound research! Unfortunatlly many players dont do it that way.

Regarding the output you have archieved nearly double the yield (UV-A+Far-Red) compared to the controll group I have the following question:

From our understanding the UV+Far-Red works like a trigger but to increase yield so much the input of energy, and other factors would also have to be much higher too. So could you please provide a bit more informations about the research setup you have used.

Especially the setup of the controll group would be interesting to know.

many thanks

Christoph

3 Likes

Hi Christoph, thank you for the interest. The info not shown on the paper is on the confidential level right now. If you are interested in a conversation, please contact me at yrenbutcher@illumitex.com. Thank you!

Yan

2 Likes

Yan,

May we also have the source journal articles. I will have to go to the library to trace them back otherwise.

UV in THC synthesis? I want to see what your seeing. I just find it odd that a compound like THC which is basically a plants insecticide, has a secondary trigger, like UV A and UV B. I know any stressor will cause THC to be produced prior to flowering. But, at flower instantiation all the precursors move up from the roots to the axial branches with flower buds. The plant seems to go into over drive to keep insects off the the flowers. We would see this in wild population of fiber hemp in Missouri. Children of the children of WW2 hemp for victory. Some of those where high THC producers.

You now have me more puzzled than before.

Nice paper, I am going to have to read it again.

From the voices in my head
Ethan.

3 Likes

Sure.
Wargent_et_al-2013-role of UV in crop production.pdf (1.3 MB)
Suthaparan et al 2016 Suppression of PM by UVB in strawberry and rosemary.pdf (670.4 KB)
. Mariz-Ponte et al 2018 Tomato response to UVA UVB.pdf (1.3 MB)
Here you go.
Favory et al 2009 VUB in Arabidopsis.pdf (1.2 MB)
Li et al 2015 UVB induced CPD photolyase gene experssion is regulated by UVR8-dependent and independent pathway in Arabidopsis.pdf (875.4 KB)
Lydon et al 1987 UVB on cannabinoid of two Cannabis sativa.pdf (523.4 KB)

5 Likes

I think UV is a sort of stress too to trigger the THC production. Read the discussion part of Lydon et al. 1987: “…THC functioned as a UV-B filter…”

I think these phytochemicals biosynthese happen in the leaf and floral tissues , not in the root tissue and then move to branches with flower buds.

3 Likes

When I look at the analytical thin film chometogophy from the hand book on Drugs. And I follow there reference to the DEA the aging curve for THC and CBD are shortened with UV light. @fdousty or @neville you both analytical chenistvand need to meet on line. And you both know plant physiology, what am I missing. :thinking: it’s great for foliar fungus and bacterial control. The Dutch use it in strawberry production. I am more inclined to follow the Dutch model in strawberry. 5 minute every 30, when no people present for 6 hours straight in a 24 hours period. The Dutch try to time it before any night cycle. They have at least five papers. The white paper leaves me haunted. I am missing something or reading the paper wrong​:thinking:

I have been growing too long when I don’t understand a new approach. That might work :frowning:.

I need some detail that missing. They are taking the IP rought and IP on the grow end is a fantasy? Is that my problem. I have the better mouse trap feeling. :dizzy_face:

Ethan :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Big pharma published now three papers on where the precursor canabinods are stored before flower induction, in the root hairs. The more root hairs they generated the more canabinods produced when a stressor is induced. O one outsanding study done on traslocation of proteins at flower induction. They model the more in line to chrysanthemum the more I learn. The only way I now to double canabinods is by changing to a poly polyploid. I then see boost because I have higher carbohydrate available in the growth, and more RNA transcriptor. Think wheett protein, the seed one protein it’s how many RNAt do you have I high protein wheat? Papers new lots. I think I would see higher numbers, but the phytotoxisity for these secondary compounds is not well studied, we can look at 3 different secondary coumpond. Coca, opium pirethren, all three have a maximum amount secondary compounds documented that above x the cells die.

The fungle canker in Hemp which has good studies that show secondary compounds are present when around the canker to isolate it from the. Offending fungus. It does by pull canabinods to the canker and trying to kill it’s on cells by filling them with canabinods. In Hemp gall virus. We would smoke the ball because the where the best ditch weed find.

The cancers and there effects are document USDA extention publication for the WW2. Hemp for victory. Most came out of the university of minnasota and kuntucky. The university of Missouri locked up there resurch in the 1970’s. All the collated work is a national ad library you get to it through the Library of Congress site. You have to apply for a library card it’s free. The just want to see how many people use the library. Last, year the had a million users.

I found my problem the paper UV-B RADIATION EFFECTS ON PHOTOSYNTHESIS, GROWTH AND CANNABINOID PRODUCTION OF TWO Cannabis sativa CHEMOTYPES. I remember when this paper was published a lot of use read this paper and we did not see what they where seeing in real would. Those of us in the Pot Secret Society, did not belive the studies conclusion. Especially after a visit the University of Mississippi, Federal breeding facility, on a special access tour.

Ethan

3 Likes

Yan, thanks for sharing the UV White Paper.
With Suthaparan does that mean UV-B as in blacklights at nightime to treat Powdery Mildew?
Does UV light effect a sleep cycle of cannabis anyone?
With Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, I think UV has some type of effect with flower color or certain parts of the flower like the halos. At the same time excessive sunlight/heat will fade halos blue and purples the anthromycins while brightening or even enhancing the red/organge pigments like the carotenes since they have a protentive layer like sunsceen.

If you have any info about UV and hibiscus please share with me.
Kyle M

4 Likes

Kyle,

The paper “Suppression of Powdery Mildews by UV-B: Application Frequency and Timing, Dose, Reflectance, and Automation” above is a gem.

Ethan

4 Likes

Kyle, fighting PM. Take look at our product.

Terry McConn
Pantec LLC

2 Likes

What is your product?

From the voices in my head Ethan :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Our ActivePure technology creates these three Key oxidizers.

Hydrogen Peroxide ( H2O2 )

Hydroxyls ( OH- )

Super Oxides ( O2- )

Retro fits into HVAC and creates these oxidizers simply with moister moving through system,

Terry McConn

3 Likes

Why this over a product like oxine WT? I have lots of growing experience with the products Oxine and it’s whole family from running a farm. I know I want to watchful of H2O2 in my grow and limit where the show up. Strong oxiders have there place.

Ethan :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Because these oxidizers are created naturally and target contaminants in the air and on surfaces, eliminating them on contact. Going everywhere the air goes within your grow rooms.

2 Likes