Advice for new outdoor grow?

These plants have really stretched! I am excited to report that I have some baby flowers forming on Sunset Sherbet. The two Zkittlez plants are beautiful and healthy, too. So far, I am hopeful that I’ll be able to take a harvest. Regardless, I have had so much fun learning about and caring for these plants. I am very excited to begin my indoor grow when the weather cools off a bit here in Virginia and to begin some outdoor garden projects. I have just enough time to get everything ready for next Feb.

I have put out some diatomaceous earth around all the plants, but it washed away pretty quickly. Unsure whether it did any good. Am finding some caterpillars—little green ones and larger black ones—on the plants. I am removing them manually, but I sprayed some BT yesterday.

Now, it’s time for me to plant brussels sprouts, broccoli, spinach.

2 Likes

Just a couple shots of my Sunset Sherbet baby buds. Sure is beautiful.

Wondering if you all would seek to protect these outdoor plants from rain during the final weeks. I’ve become worried that the humidity is going to get me. What do you think?

Hope y’all are having a great day!

3 Likes

I personally would worry about rain all the way through the Grow once your plants start flowering. By the looks of your plants you have about six more weeks to go to finish. You should start figuring out a way to cover them up if you’re going to have a lot of rain. They will need to be covered and still have good airflow. :+1:t3::v:t3:

3 Likes

We just had three days of rain, some pretty hard showers. Up here in the PNW, I expect it to only get worse. We put our babies in the shed and the pantry for the worst of the weekend. Now we have several days of good weather. That being said, we’re going to put a tarp from my roof to my fence over the plants, still allowing for sun and wind, etc. My biggest fear is bud rot, so I get it. Last thing I want to do is have to bring them in and start using fans, dehumidifiers, etc. There is a reason I don’t grow indoors. LOL … good luck!!

4 Likes

Rain sucks - when you have too much of it. It also sucks when you don’t have any…lol go figure. It’s been pouring here coming up on almost 24 hrs. We have floods everywhere and I almost took my outdoor plant down yesterday. I’m screwed, I’m sure of it. When I get home it’s getting chopped and a H2o2 bath right away. I shall overcome… Yes I shall

4 Likes

Hi Everyone! Much of the crazy weather has skipped me. Outdoor plants are still going strong.

Have been feeding a couple times a week with half-strength bloom nutes. Added some michorrizal fungus to the water a couple days ago after noticing some light, splotchy patches on leaves.

Am dealing with some minor pest problems. I assume they’re aphids, because the damage looks similar. Haven’t been able to catch any in the act. Have seen some ladybugs and similar pals helping me out. Also, I’m still seeing some small caterpillars every now and then. I applied a light, light dose of BT about a week ago. Am really, really reluctant to spray anything at this stage. What do y’all do to control pests during flower?

Zkittlez plants are still growing a little taller. The younger plant that I topped seems to be finishing earlier than the older, taller plant. That doesn’t make much sense to me. Thoughts?

These two are just beginning to get frosty, and the buds are still really small. The smell is intermittent and not too strong.

The sunset sherbet plant is stacked. I think it looks beautiful, and I can’t wait to see how much bigger the buds get. I am nervous about this plant being stolen, because it smells… a lot. :slight_smile: I am having so much fun with this project.

I hope you all have a great day!

3 Likes

Loco, I hope you were able to get that plant in or that you’re happily letting it ride! Can’t wait to see results!

2 Likes

Them plants are going to be very hungry when blooming. You might want to think about upping that nutrient a little bit. Captain Jack’s dead bug and BT will not hurt your plant all the way up to harvest. The bugs must eat it for it to do any good. So you need to give your plant a good coat of it. First thing in the morning is preferred so they dry out quickly. I do this every 7 to 10 days all the way to harvest. I don’t recall ever seeing you at my journal so I will tag you over there so you can see my results.

I can show you here too I guess. I fogged this plant Monday…:+1:t3:

5 Likes

Thank you! I have plenty of Capt Jack and BT, so I’ll move forward with a little more confidence! Heading over to your journal now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I sure will ramp up the nutrient dose. I’m using the one-bottle bloom product from Gen Hydro. In my shoes, would you add another product or just strengthen the dose?

2 Likes

Man I don’t know about nutrients. A lot of guys mess around mix-and-match. I’m not one of them. I usually go with a whole system. And then I just deviate from the recommended dosage depending on what the plants are showing. I grow multiple strains at once and they’re never all happy. But they’re never said either. Some get a little burn some don’t.

4 Likes

I have some spotty, bad-looking leaves on my sunset sherbet. I’ve added some mycorrhizal fungus and calmag to last couple feedings. What do you think about the cause and/or treatment options?

Is it possible this is just the plant moving energy to the flowers (i.e., normal plant aging), or is this a deficiency I ought to address? Thanks in advance for your perspectives!

2 Likes

I can’t say specifically what’s going on there but I can tell you that usually the natural yellowing of the leaves start at the bottom and works its way up the plant.

1 Like

hell ya they look good removing insect manually good idea i use a air power bb pistol espically on large grass hoppers they will fly away with the smallest touch of a lower branch them suckers just fly away. that why i shoot them . i grow trees outdoors .

2 Likes

Hi Everyone! My Sunset Sherbet plant is nearly there, and my two Zkittlez monsters are… not.

I have two big questions.

1. I just found some bud rot. After crying, I cut off the whole damn bud. The tiny chunk of rot was about 5% of what I cut off. I’ve inspected the plant super carefully and can’t find any more. The plant’s pistils are mostly white still, so it’s not really close. What do you recommend??

2. I’m going to dry my harvest indoors, but I don’t have a dedicated space. My house stays around 74 F. Can this work? Should I use a cardboard box? A dehumidifier? This is my first attempt.

Sunset Sherbet

Zkittlez

6 Likes

From my experience, there`s a good chance of getting some bud rot outside. Just cut it off and you should be good. Just keep an eye on it. Your plants look great!

2 Likes

Yesterday afternoon, I noticed a tiny spot of rot on my precious sunset sherbet plant! It made me so sad to see that bud go to waste. Trichomes were all milky with a few ambers, and a storm was in the forecast for overnight. So I harvested my first cannabis plant!

I chopped it down w heavy kitchen shears. Next time, I’ll use real pruning shears. I can’t believe how strong that stem (trunk!) was!

I hung the plant upside down in my garage and trimmed off a bunch of the big fan leaves.

I washed the branches using a three-bucket approach with a little peroxide solution, water, and water. I was nervous about this step, but I’m glad I did it. Bucket 1 ended up with a few bugs and some other funky stuff in it.

I hung the branches to dry in front of a fan overnight.

This morning, I moved the branches to my homemade drying box and brought that box inside the house.

The house is 72 degrees, but the RH is high—like 65-70%. I’m running the AC to try to bring that down.

Would love your thoughts, but I’d also like to thank you for your support and advice. I’ve learned a lot from you all, and I am excited to continue learning from you. Thanks very much!

7 Likes

Good job awesome. Definitely looks like you’ve been paying attention. For the very best drying in my opinion it takes 7 to 10 days and I usually keep my humidity around 60 to accomplish this. So if you can put the fan blowing directly at one end of the box for a couple of days to get them to the shriveled up drying stage, where they are not quite crunchy yet and then take the fan off of the box and just let air movement in the room continue slow Air exchange in the box. For storage I shoot for a target number of 62%. Anywhere between 55 and 62 is usually what most people shoot for.

As far as dropping your humidity. They make small dehumidifiers for putting in small places. Under your sink, in your closet, whatever. So if you can find one on craigslist or wherever buy a new one whatever you can put that in a small room or closet with your box. That should lower the humidity in that small area adequately to do what you need.

Congratulations on your first harvest :wink::+1:t3::v:t3:

6 Likes

I battle the humidity here and its exhausting! Thus was my first outdoor grow and i wish i started earlier since it got cold and damp here very quickly and forced my harvest early.

3 Likes

Even if you planted your outdoor plants earlier they still would’ve finished at the same time. You need to look for early finishing plants. Short flowering time doesn’t matter. You can have a seven or eight week flowering time but if they don’t start flowering until the middle of August they will finish flower very late. I look for early finishing plants to grow outside. Two I can recommend that are both Indica‘s are 11 roses and Carmelo. Harvested 11 roses September 1 and the Carmelo two weeks later.

7 Likes