Bogleg's "Dejah" SOG Grow (Ebb and Flow, Jacks 3-2-1, COB, 4x4)

If you were running 1000 square feet in 5ga bags of coco and feeding drain to waste, would it be cost effective then?

2 Likes

How much does the desalination equipment cost? And recurring costs associated whit new filters and such?

3 Likes

Well for a simple home grow I am wondering if a 50 GPD RO system could work on the nutrient waste waterā€¦ I would assume it would need to be pre-filtered for larger solids.

For something larger, I would have to create a spreadsheet to calculate water usage per square foot and size a desalination system based on the water consumption rates.

Right now Iā€™m working on the simpler, easier calculations like light costs, lease fees, utilities, insurance, etc.

Trying to see if I can come up with a configurable balance sheet so I can run some feasibility studies.

I have a 401k, live in a legal state, and like to grow weed. Somewhere in that mix is the potential to start a Tier 1 grow op in MA. I have to determine if a Tier 1 grow op can sustain me and my family.

5 Likes

14 days under 12/12. 15 days since the clones were put in the tray (one day under 18/6 light). Lights currently at 450W. 4th day since formulation of first flower clusters.

Still seems like the nutrient load is just a tad higher than Iā€™d like, but all in all growing okay. Clearly these are not going to fill this tent (or come close)ā€¦ weā€™re almost through the stretch so I donā€™t think they will get a whole lot bigger - I expect they will start stacking pretty soon.

Assuming they donā€™t get a whole lot bigger, perhaps Iā€™ve found the process to get 25-36 plants in here at once.

9 Likes

Wow. They responded well in just a couple of days. Looking nice.

4 Likes

Well, seven days away was no bueno for the flower tent. I have deficiencies all over the place. Last night I did a complete reservoir change and set the reservoir up at 1200ppm and a PH of 5.96. When I got back from our trip, the PH was at 4.91. :o

The mom in the veg tent, on the other hand, looks great. She only had about an inch of water left in her bucket when we got back, but was in solid shape.

I am strongly considering cutting down the flower tentā€¦ if I let it go I have another 5-6 weeks to run it, and the best case scenario I think would be something around a 6oz harvest. I donā€™t really think thatā€™s worth the investment to finish. Iā€™ll be pondering it a lot this week.

Iā€™ll post some pics tonight and you all can help me decide if I should reboot or not.

6 Likes

Hmmmā€¦

My plant resevoirā€™s ph dropped into the 4ā€™s twice from long road trips plus got burned and I still got tenā€¦

You really think youā€™ll only get 6oz?

6 Likes

My plants arenā€™t any bigger than the last pic in this thread, really. So yeah - plant size is the major issue here.

6 Likes

Sorry I couldnā€™t really help more there. I knew enough to give them a little time in my setup, kinda figured you would be a little more rapid growing in yours.

Is mom ready to produce more cuttings? May be good idea to just take them now while you ponder course of action.

7 Likes

Well, I think that the day I had with the pump not running really screwed things up. I have some rough looking root masses on some of the plants. The ones closest to the drains recovered well but the ones farther away didnā€™t as much. In any case, lesson learned - let them sit in the cloner another week.

7 Likes

Okay, here they are. Looking small and rough.

Mom was in surprisingly good shape after 7 days with no TLC:

11 Likes

Run em out and see how they do. This was an experiment anyway and you will get a yield. If nothing else, ediblesā€¦

9 Likes

These smell better than the previous ones I didā€¦ or I just donā€™t remember maybe. But the trichomes on them right now come off on your fingers smelling like fruit punch.

At this point I feel like I donā€™t really understand my feeding regimen and wonder if I shouldā€™ve done a flush prior to resetting the reservoir.

I also would like to get a sample tested from this batch to see if changing up the nutrient line has any significant impact on the results. And I only have another 5 weeks or so left on them so maybe Iā€™ll just keep it going. Might as well at this point, I guess. Itā€™s only $300 in electricity right? Heh.

8 Likes

FYI I had mom on a 1/2 strength GG Jacks formula, and on Sunday I put her on a full strength GG Jacks formula, so weā€™ll see if I fry her or not. :slight_smile: I am trying to figure out the Jacks system, and previously when I figured out the GH Flora system, I had a lot of veg time in my grows to screw around and see how things reacted.

7 Likes

Youā€™ll get more than 6 oz for sure

7 Likes

Iā€™d probably be okay with 4oz yield. Which is about what I personally expect. That would more than cover my costs, still.

6 Likes

Hard to judge whatā€™s there, but I think you have the tools to do better than 4 zips. Iā€™m just not sure plants have the room to put on a lot more than that. For what its worth Iā€™m gonna say 6-8 lol.

As usual, I like where your head is at. We know this wonā€™t be your biggest grow, but thereā€™s still a lot that can be taken away from it. Also, based on layout of table and size of plants, Iā€™m betting you could dim lights and drop them without giving up much. Itā€™s about light intensity levels not how much power youā€™re drawing. The coverage is built into fixture, and you donā€™t need them to put in work with plants that size. In short, you could probably drop that $300 by 50-100 if you want.

7 Likes

Yeah Iā€™m currently running them at 500w - I think I could run them closer to 300w if I lowered them a bitā€¦ help me with the temps, too, which are peaking some nights at 86F.

Speaking of temps - Iā€™ve been considering a dual ducted AC unit - one of the 14k BTU Wynter ones. You think I could rig that up to cool my two big tents? They arenā€™t SUPER expensive ($500) and when I get the funds to do the build out in the basement, I can use it as a stop gap until I feel like forking out the dough for a mini split system.

7 Likes

Well, they were all monster clones so they have little nerf football sized masses of leaves and bud all knotted up in them. Mostly I just want the bud to be as good as I can get it at this point.

6 Likes

And a growing note, I decided to test out some Botanicare Sweet Original Berry stuff - which I introduced before I went out of the country.

That could be contributing to the enhanced/slightly-changed smell. Its definitely more berry than the previous flower run with this cut. The first run was much more orange-peel and lemon.

I was curious if these supposed terp boosters/sugars do anything, so thought this would be a good time to experiment with one.

7 Likes