Butter time

So I am using sous vide this time for my decarb… since it is going in to butter and for cookies I am looking to keep the terpenes of the Lost Coast Hash plant strain’’’ I am using 1oz to 1lb of butter… this journal will be a day or two in the making… all relative questions to this strain are welcome here…

7 Likes

What is this “sous vide” and how do you retain terpenes through the decarbing process?

3 Likes

It involves boiling water and your marijuana in a vacuum pack… it decarbs and since it’s vacuum packed the terps don’t go anywhere (unlike the oven)… it’s also how to keep flavor in meat before searing…

4 Likes

So decarbed in boiling water… you can tell by the coloring it is… and unlike the oven/paper bag method which smells like dry hay… this has the peppery/earthy hashy smell… hope it can be smelled and tasted in the batch of peanut butter cookies I am making…lol…

5 Likes

Right on…

What are the water temps and boil times one should be using to do this process?

5 Likes

Winds up looking like Mexican schwag

4 Likes

Water boils at 100°c and stays there possibly 101

4 Likes

You could even use a pressure cooker to get the temp a bit higher.

5 Likes

Is faster decarbing better ?due to reduced heat stress exposure time?

4 Likes

It is more about what you want to be activated, maybe. But as long as you hit the minimum temp for decarbing, you should be good.

From my understanding it takes a little higher temp than 100°C/212°F is a bot low. THCA begins to decarboxylate at approximately 104.44°C/220°F

4 Likes

Salt the water would do yes?

2 Likes

I guess it would take lots of salt like 58 g per half degree… C tho

4 Likes

Not really. You’d have to add at least 58 grams of salt/per liter to get the boiling point to raise about a half degree C.

5 Likes

Jinx, lol

Ha ha

4 Likes

Hahahahahahah lol n stuff

2 Likes

It would b more of a brine haha

2 Likes

So y’all are saying that just boiling might not be decarbing it just right

4 Likes

A pressure cooker will easily be sure.

But if the end result is going to baked into cookies near 300 or plus degrees, then it doesn’t matter.

6 Likes

But in the vacuum… things happen lower… water boils etc… why the boiling point of water in Denver is lower then my place… so I am comfortable saying and according to sous vide experts and chef… 100C should be fine… I will let yo know… maybe next time I will salinate the water if required to raise the boiling point…

4 Likes

I get what you’re saying… time will tell and cookies are only 12-15 minutes so not decarb time…lol…

4 Likes