Def’s First Outdoor Desert Grow

So I picked up these 2 Runtz clones today, they were originally grown in a hydro system, so they got buried with net pots and all. Heres to seeing if i can keep a hydro clone alive. Its really really windy here again, so these girls are staying on the porch.

@happilyretired If i have some success with this, it will make me feel much better about receiving a clone cut from you. I dont want you go through all the hassle and stuff just to watch them die. Lol

6 Likes

Get them out of the sun shade only for a few days.If they were in Hydro they were indoors, and they’re not gonna be able to handle direct sun for a little bit. They will be fine

5 Likes

@happilyretired How thoroughly should I water them in? I gave them each about a half a gallon of water. No run off.

1 Like

A damn bunny or mouse got the seedlings last night ugh

4 Likes

Dude, out in the desert there’s jack rabbits and cotton tails everywhere. See if you can find an old milk crate that you can throw over the top your cups at night. Or anything for all that matters.
Sorry for your loss, at least it was when she was a wee lass and you haven’t had a chance to get to tightly bonded to her before the tragic moment. :cry:🥲 :joy::rofl:

6 Likes

My thoughts exactly, and i usually keep them protected behind some chicken wire, but i got a little too buzzed last night and forgot. So its my fault. Im going to drop a couple autos and and retry this.

5 Likes

That’s rough bro, sorry for the loss!

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m gonna go kill about 18 plants here in a little bit. Turn’s out 10 of my 12 regular seeds I planted turned out to be mail and I cloned all of them. So last night I figured I’d have so much room I might as well just drop five more fem seeds… :+1:t3:

5 Likes

Thanks @KevGrows! Father in law has 3 cats, all outdoors, you would think they shouldve been ontop of that! But father in law feeds them soft canned cat food twice a day… lazy ass cats. Lol

4 Likes

Oooooh, thats a bummer. The shadow boxin seeds?

2 Likes

Haha! Yep those aren’t mousers lol

2 Likes

I started six shadow boxing three super freak and three lemon thunder, I got one shadowboxing female and one super freak female. I cloned all of them so I’ll know in a couple days if the clones took but it looks good. I got three more lemon thunder I started a couple of days ago and then last night I dropped five more three strains …:thinking: why not.

3 Likes

Lets try this again, and be a bit more attentive this time. Lol all autos this time.

4 Likes

That. Really. Fuggin. Blows. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::tired_face: sorry @defnsmokn, what a bummer way to start a day man. Glad you’re taking the positive road and getting more babies going :fist::pray:

3 Likes

Deer, rabbits, hares, mice, rats, gophers, javelinas … a lot of creatures moving about in the desert night that find weed plants interesting. The deer will eat the small plants, rabbits seem to ‘snip and drop’ plants up to about a foot, mice like freshly sprouted ones as a tasty treat, Botha’s Pocket Gophers LOVE the roots if they are planted straight into the ground, javelinas will smell rich soil and think there is some tubular treasure growing in the spot and rip your plant out of the ground in search of the food that just HAS to be there (leaving the plant casually cast aside). My outdoor grow plants, here in southern AZ, when new go outside in limited amounts from the start because they can get burned in less than an hour in the intense sun. Oh, also, the creatures eat them.

Sorry they munched your plants! One inch square or octagon wire will keep out most in the desert. Underground, the gophers will chew right through thin wire.

5 Likes

I knew better, I just slacked off too much. I gotta get/build a hoop house, definitely educating myself on the different types of animals and how to keep them out. Thanks for the info on thin wire, will probably use heavy gauge snake or gopher fencing.

The clones get barely an hour of partial sun in the am, early. Ill move them out a little more each day if they continue to look good.

3 Likes

All but 1 Lemon OG had cracked the shell and was poking a tap root out, so i put them all in dirt with a little mykos.

5 Likes

Temporary shade screen is up, still working on a hoop house idea.

1 auto popped up this am, Trizzler.

6 Likes

Half hoop house is about as good as its gonna get for now. Not ideal, its on an east facing wall on the west side of the property. The suns intensity here should help against the shoddy placement. Maybe. Lol

Trizzler is the only auto that made it, Gelato and one Lemon OG got cooked i assume, and the other Lemon OG has yet to crack, so shes in paper towel. Im not dropping anymore seeds for an outdoor grow here.

Here are the Runtz clones, they are looking better, showing new growth at all nodes, buuuuut they are trying to flower. Coming off 18/6 to 14/10 was a bit much for them, oh well. I plan to top them once they get a little more comfortable…

Trizzler is looking mighty fine btw

10 Likes

Being where you’re at I think the east facing wall is perfect. You’re going to get plenty of direct sunlight early in the day and the plants will be in the shade for the second of the day when the heats going to be really high. My biggest outdoor plant last year was planted 4 foot in front of a 7 foot east facing fence. The only real difference is you’re going to get a lot more heat coming from that wall. You might want to keep an eye on that. :+1:t3::v:t3:

7 Likes