Def’s First Outdoor Desert Grow

Started some LST on one of the Runtz clones, im not sure about her top… i wasnt trying to super crop, but i did a little pull and it just bent, like its dry… the top is also more of a reddish/brown colored stem as opposed to the bottom half. May just top it there if it doesnt look better in a few days.

Im thinking of laying the other one over and topping the top node only. Not sure yet. Any ideas?

3 Likes

You need to massage your girls a little bit more. The more you massage them the easier they are to bend over…:joy::rofl::rofl:

But seriously, I have a question for you.

What would be the point of topping it if you’re going to bend it over?

4 Likes

Just to force outward branching, and then maybe top the mains that come off of that… mainly just playing around lol ive been pretty high today so maybe my thinking is a bit off lol

3 Likes

@happilyretired

I tied the second Runtz clone down this am.

5 Likes

Being relatively sober looking a little closer you might just want to give them a break for a while. Doesn’t look like you’re getting much growth which means there growing underground. It’s pretty hard to tell what to do with the plants until they have established themself. If you have two identical plants, the same age well then top one of them back to the third node and lay the other one over. You can do a side-by-side right there and see which works best yourself for that strain. Those plants look like they are a sativa leaning plant, so they’re probably going to be kind of lanky. You can get informatation from these plants, what may work best for you in the future for sativa‘s.
:thinking:… just a thought…:+1:t3::+1:t3::v:t3::joy:
I was relatively sober when I started this post but not so much by the end :joy::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

@PreyBird1 it seems like you just top these Runtz multiple times? Im trying to figure out the best way to grow these girls

3 Likes

Its been really really windy here lately, thats partially why i tied them over, gave them more stability.

3 Likes

Yeah i top because it grows better in multi topped bush. Christmas tree it will get huge. And it can stretch due to apical dominance.

2 Likes

Right on, so with these clones being as big as they are right now, what would you do? Chop them down to 3rd or 4th nodes? @preybird1

2 Likes

You could cut them but just put in more supports. So they dont blow over and break branches.

2 Likes

You could always supercrop them down low and grow them parallel to the ground, then SCROG them… :wink:

2 Likes

I was literally just talking to somebody about this. I think its a sign @mudman, broke one will be topped and the tall one be laid down for a scrog. Maybe… not a complete definite on that yet.

2 Likes

Runtz clones are looking very good, im going to end up removing the supercropped part, making it a topped plant. I plan to do a scrog on the other Runtz clone.

Trizzler is one week old.

5 Likes

So im wondering what I should transplant Trizzler into… 5 gal bucket or 7gal fabric pot…

2 Likes

Pretty dry arid climate If it were me I would put it in the bucket. I would put a lot of holes all the way around the bottom of the Bucket.
I don’t think anybody could judge it better than you. You’re the one that’s on the ground there. What do you think would be the best way to go, that’s the important question.

4 Likes

Bucket would hold moisture better in the dry climate and the white would keep the root zone cooler, but you lose the cooling of air passing through the bag… Hard to say.

3 Likes

Went ahead and made stoned judgment call… lol went very very smoothly, im happy.

5 Likes

Fabric pots outside with our arid environment desiccate quickly. Unless you plan on having a misting system AND a watering schedule that allows multiple short watering times a day, I would go with a bucket. EDIT: did not see you had chosen the fabric pot. As @happilyretired wrote, create good outlet holes on the bottom so water does not pool in the bottom.

You may consider thinking how to raise them off of the soil just a few inches. The desert ground soaks up the heat during the day and radiates a lot of heat back out at night. It will help keep root temps a little lower. I use plant elevators.

In midsummer, I have had to water my outdoor plants two to three times a day to keep them from laying down in the heat and cooking the roots.

8 Likes

Im wondering if I shouldnt have just used the bucket. Oh well. Lessons are best learnt first hand. I do have the pots sitting on a raised wire shelf. I can lift them up another couple inches if I need to. I have no problem watering multiple times a day, or setting up a timer and drip system.

7 Likes

Threw some chair cushions up for heat block. Its working well. The gang this morning. The Runtz are Elev8 genetics so im hoping they take the reveg well. I didnt mean for them try to flower, there is a garage light ive been leaving on into the night hours until about 1030-11. But i dont think its quite strong enough to trigger them. Hmmm live and learn yeah? They seem ok so far though!

7 Likes