DIY led light build help

I am wanting to build a quantum board light set up… the fixture will be used for the full grow from seed/clone to harvest…
. I am gonna need it to flower a 4x4 footprint

My big question is when looking at these QB how do I know what their coverage is. Right now i am just looking at sites like budget led and hlg and going by what their assembled light cover is and trying to go about it that way. But I am thinking there is a better way

3 Likes

Maybe @PreyBird1 would know… he just finished a build… :nerd_face:

2 Likes

That’s right he did lol

1 Like

The simplest calculation to start with is taking the total output in PPF (not PPFD!) and dividing it by the area you’re going to be lighting. You’re looking for a number between 50 - 70. Up to 100 or higher is fine, but will take a really tight growing system to work well without running into problems.

For example if I was looking at a light that has 1525 PPF (the HLG 600w kit) and wanted to grow in a 4’x4’ space I would do 1525÷(4×4)=95 PPF per square foot. So this light would do a killer job over a 4x4 at full intensity. Over a 5x5 it would work out to 61 PPF per square foot, which is also totally acceptable.

6 Likes

Ok thanks that makes more since … it was driving me crazy trying to figure it out … good thing I am in no rush do make the light happen lol

2 Likes

I use 3 4’x4’ tents. And i like lights that are meant for a 3’x3’ flower footprint and then i double it. So essentially a 6’x6’ foot print and then it’s dimmable so you have more control. Similair to a step down dimmable ballast.
Check out my light build thread. Full spectrum light build.

3 Likes

Thanks I forgot you did that build… could be a perfect recipe

I may get a stronger ballast just so i can push the boards up to the full 170 watts. I really like hgl.com light

I also really like the hgl light… but I feel I can do the same cheaper lol

You can but not a whole lot cheaper. Big money is the drivers no way around it. And right now because of trump theres a 25% tarrif tacked onto the driver incoming from china. And the lowest cost boards that are worth a damn are $75 each.

1 Like

2 Likes

But I think the biggest part for me is to say that’s MY light… not a company’s lol

4 Likes

Nice thats why i build my own stuff. Like my greenhouse andmy shed. I built them.

6 Likes

Ok Bob Vila… I have been known to build my own stuff to

6 Likes

Lol bob vila. Fuck i wish i knew as much as that guy. Nice work by the way! Did you singe-burn the wood in the deck?

4 Likes

HAHA… U guys are funny. I want to build some lights myself down the road, so Im jus soaking up the needed info right now…KEEP it coming :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Yeah it was a light single burn … but it is gonna get done again this year because we didn’t put a sealant on it and the dogs wore the burn away …

2 Likes

I did the same thing now I am at the ask questions stage …

2 Likes

I am always impressed to see how guys diy your lights. I hate floating the LEDs it’s what makes me nervous. I guess you could buy them already on a board but that limits the pattern size.

I agree thats why i made my own spread pattern. On my frame i got longer heat sinks. I wasnt happy with what was offered. Fixed lights suck. This one is on a nice rail system. If i want to slide them i can. But when i put corner light i decided to make it fixed the way i wanted it. And i may add another supplement light. Its going up tomorrow and im going to veg 8 hash passions under it.

3 Likes