Do We Really Need Nutrients with Ideal Hydro Conditions? Looking for Top Growers' Opinions

Hey everyone!

After gathering information from various forums, insights from fellow growers, and even getting feedback from grow shops, I’m starting to question: are nutrients even necessary for hydroponics? If, theoretically, the basic conditions like light, temperature, and humidity are perfect, would boosters or nutrients even make a difference? It’s a thought that’s been bugging me, especially with all the different opinions out there.

While I have all the basic nutrients on hand, I’m curious if there’s something additional that’s worth considering to give my crops a boost. We all know manufacturers always tout their products as the best, but from what I’ve gathered, if the basics are properly set, there might not be much more to add. Also, could you point me to some of the top growers on this forum who have a lot of experience with hydroponics and nutrients? I’d love to learn from their experiences and insights.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations and references! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum. If you click on the magnifying glass and do a search using the search term “hydroponics” it will help you find hydroponics growers threads. In my opinion you need nutrients, not using nutrients is just starving your plants.

8 Likes

Thanks for the warm welcome and the tip about the search function! I might have been unclear in my initial post. I’m not considering starving my plants by not using any nutrients at all. I’m already using the basic nutrients. My question was more about the additional boosters and whether they make a significant difference, especially when the basic conditions are already optimal. I appreciate your input and look forward to learning more from this community!

4 Likes

So…

It seems that the best way for us to truly understand the impact of additives might be to conduct a side-by-side comparison ourselves but if any future visitors to this thread have come across a side-by-side comparison of using additives versus not, I’d be really interested to hear about your findings. Please share! :grin:

5 Likes

Sorry I misinterpreted your question. Here is a thread of my current hydro grow. It’s my 1st attempt growing in hydroponics in 5 years. Best advice I can give you don’t drive yourself crazy chasing the ph of your water.

6 Likes

No problem. My post was not as clear as I thought in the first place :slight_smile: Will dive into your growlog for sure. Huge thank you!

5 Likes

One of the best additives I use is a foliar spray called Bud Buster Pro. I highly recommend it, probably everyone that has used it would also recommend it. The only side effects are bigger plants, bigger buds, and it increases your nutrient uptake. A 4 oz bottle will treat 28 plants for a complete grow.

6 Likes

From my observation first 2 grows no boosters and now using them yes they do make a difference I’ve found flower fuel to be a magnificent flower booster nice trick covered buds and it def swells buds up more as my grows using boosters r almost double sized bugs for sure. Like hardness of them didn’t seem to change but the size and tric coverage definitely shows

4 Likes

If you use co2 you will need even more nutrients then usual, I use jacks 321, look it up, purchase it by the 25lb bag, cheapest yet capable. I only skimp during the flush…

6 Likes

To answer your question …beyond basic nutes that give the plants the bare minimum to survive and grow…my answer would be yes, there are most definitely boosters as you call them that enhance the formation of what we are all after, more trikes, terpenes, and the precursors to the chemicals that get you high. PGR’s are top among those “boosters” that while not necessary absolutely make a plant’s final product much better. And I am not talking about excess NPK. PGR’s make the plant produce more terpenes, oils and resins that most of us are after. Others regulate how the plant grows, and the number of nodes or budding sites that it produces while it is in vegetative state. And others help the plant to uptake the vital nutrients that are available. A few of my favorites are Humic acid, Fulvic acid, Chitosan and the indispensable inoculates.

Others that I have used but didn’t really see make any difference are seaweed extract, and malt, but it’s not always apparent the benefits provided. Some simple make the plant more resistant to mold, mildew, and drought, and insects. Some increase the plant’s ability to make its own antibiotics. You don’t see it, but they are helping in the background, kinda like virus protection on your computer. It’s there, it helps, but it isn’t always apparent.

And welcome !!! Great bunch of guys and girls here.

Marty

5 Likes

I love running jacks just for the simplicity of it. Best nutes I’ve ran so far well the only so far besides GH flora trio which was pretty good also

2 Likes

I use jacks for my houseplants. They love it.

5 Likes

Tomato plants seem to love some jacks also as I get a clean million tomatoes. I just need a better sun spot so they all turn red for me. Lol. They get nice and big but usually stay green as the sun for some reason don’t hit the spot like it used to

3 Likes

It’s a “weed” so with light and water it will survive but not thrive. Monitor NPK in each phase as it changes. In flower (bloom) dropping the N to little or zero helps the flower site development. In final some formulas introduce it back in at low amounts to finish and help terps an fall colors develop, a final maturing of the plant. Find a schedule that works for your region…and even then every grow space is different. Find the idiosyncrasies of yours.

3 Likes

Well think this way back in the days one would grow plants with nothing some with fish guys ect. Did it grow yes was it something smokable yes. Would it have been better with the proper feed program for the plant probably but would Only know this if someone has actually grown a plant with and without nutrients. I am currently running plants on just a soil regenerator on one plant and one with soil Regen and nutes and one just nutes to see what the differences will be. So far the nutes only is winning and the regenerator alone is second the mix must be a bit much and stalling the plant

4 Likes