Dunbar's grow Journal

Looking nice !

Well, it’s not over yet, but very very nice plant health going into flower…

Looks to me like nuets and water and you can cross home plate standing up!!

1 Like

Lookin good my friend…your in flower over a week and we need a fresh pic. Are you using Jacks Bloom at this point? Are u gonna? Tell me more about the BBP stuff???

2 Likes

Gave the last treatment of BBP this morning. A couple things we have adjusted. 1st, I’m now using potassium carbonate for my ph up. I have been going in at 6.4/6.5 for probably a month now, and my run off will not climb over the 5.3 area.
I have not topped any of the plants, and have only taken a few leaves up top to open up bud sites, and some lower stuff. No defoliation as of yet. I plan on that happening mid to late week.

The back left is the 3 gallon auto, so my thought of a smaller pot making a smaller plants didn’t work.

Of anyone had any suggestions there, please chime in. Also on defoliation I’d appreciate it. I’ve always had trouble with leaving way to much foliage.

10 Likes

Looks real good brother. I’ve struggled with defol too. Whats been working for me, Any leaf covering bud sites is gone. Any leaf on any stem that grows towards the center of the plant. Any small lower limbs that won’t reach the top.

Actually I still have questions on this subject too. Considering doing an experiment for myself.

It was described to me that defol lets more light in so the buds form better. My question is, do the buds need light to grow or are all the solar panels I remove Whats feed the light to the buds. I’m not enough of a mad scientist to know but I think I’m doing it wrong removing all the leaves. Hmmm…

4 Likes

That’s always been part of my struggle! Literally the exact same thought. I was always taught that’s what leaves were for on a plant, to capture the light 🤷 I also realize we are “playing god” growing indoors, and manupliating things to produce better end results.

4 Likes

A week before transitioning to flower I do a heavy defoliation. The big leaves get big because the sun is hitting them covering up the smaller leaves underneath. What happens when you remove them big leaves. The small leaves underneath get big and the ends of all your branches were the blooms are going to form are exposed to light. It also gives a week to recover before the added stress of the light flip. Then between day 15 and 21 after the light flip I do another heavy D foliation to get rid of all of the smaller leaves that got big again. No all the energy of the plant is coming from the roots and the small leaves throughout the flower to feed the flower. For me this produces larger denser flowers. that’s all I got.

(Edit)… I also do a strip around day 42. Somewhere thereabouts. :+1:t3:

3 Likes

Thank you @happilyretired. Aside from doing anything before the switch, that puts me right there where I planned to defoliate this week.

3 Likes

I’ve got journals elsewhere that show where I’ve experimented with all this. And the heavy defoliation always seems to produce the best stuff. I also noticed on my outdoor this year, the plants I left more leaves on seem to have a little bit less trichome production. :man_shrugging:

I think what it basically comes down to is if you’re unhappy with your outcome last time do it different this time.

3 Likes

Personally for me, it’s been an issue of realizing more needs to come off. One of those, it feels wrong, but I know it’s needed situations and having to push past it confidence wise.

2 Likes

Well first thing, disclaimer. This is not to be done on auto flowers.

Pick one of your plants and strip it naked. Make it an experiment. And take the rest of them and takeoff almost all the leaves. Tear off that Band-Aid. Try several different ways of doing it in one grow. Because if you’re like the rest of us you still have that need to do it yourself. what do you got to lose. This way your next grow you’ll know for sure the best way and you don’t have to dick with it no more. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

No better time than the present!

3 Likes

Woo Hoo strip show :crazy_face:

I also like to use a net or stakes to force the plant to spread out…tie them down or tie them up…except the the auto’s

3 Likes

I have a couple packs of the yo yo’s I need to get set up to hang. The 1 auto, and the 1 photo would take up every inch I have alone. I have the 2nd photo stacked up on a pile of risers to try and get it closer to the light.

3 Likes

This is actually my 1st attempt at really defoliation. If something stands out please don’t hesitate to point it out. I’m feeling good about it

6 Likes

Well done…:+1:t3:

2 Likes

Looks good much better airflow and light penetration to bud sites… if you lose a couple more lower bud sites it would look like I did it! The again I’m no expert still learning every grow :joy:

3 Likes

It’s been 5 days. Things are filling in pretty quick.

9 Likes

Couple quick pics, so far so good, a little deficiency, not sure it’s under control or not for sure. Doesn’t seem to be getting any worse.

I plan another defoliation for this week or next weekend depending on time. I did get some yo yo’s up. Sure wish I wouldn’t have procrastinated. Would have been easier to run wire over smaller plants. :rofl:

5 Likes

Can’t tell there are any problems from the pics. Looks fantastic :clap:

4 Likes

Pretty minor. Here’s a better pic

7 Likes