Growing 5 auto's in grow buckets for the first time ever with both

How do I reply to a specific question or answer on here? Or can you?

10 Likes

Anyway, wether you pour water on top of your soil, or feed from the bottom with a wick, or with an automated drip feeder from a reservoir, doesn’t matter. pH it and top it up with calmag to EC 0.4 :wink:

10 Likes

Ah…I didn’t read that first…I assume that you mixed the Gaia Green into the soil before you put the soil into the 5 gallon buckets?..and if so and with your using the Gaia Green as a top amendment, it will do you zero good with a bottom feeding system like the Gro Bucket system. You can ONLY get the benefits of top feeding by watering through it, and keeping your innoculants healthy in order to break down those amendments. You should also mix it into the top 2 inches of soil so the microbes can begin their job of breaking the minerals etc down and making them availible for your plants. I use the Gaia Green also and that was my last grow, my grow before that was with Earth Dust, they are for the most part identical except for cost. And yes you can make a tea and use it with the gro buckets. I would also suggest that the next time you do a tea you put some recharge or billions or great white or whatever you use in the way of innoculants in with it to start the process. “Cook” it for 48 hours and you will see the bucket is frothing and foaming, that is the microbes at work. HTH

Marty

10 Likes

I know sometimes less is more. But i always seem to be on the wrong side of that one :confused:. I either give to much or not enough. I just have to keep at it and not give up. I’ll figure out, and with all the wealth of knowledge of everyone on here willing to help. I feel very confident that one day I will get it rite

10 Likes

Yeah ofcourse if you top dress dry amendments you want to pour water over it… Mixed in your “live soil” a bottom feed works as well @sssportsmfg but the entire medium needs be in the right moisture content indeed.

8 Likes

Sure, if you press the reply at the bottom right of someones post, you reply to that specific post. It will show up as a post in the thread as well tho.
If you press the blue reply at the bottom of a thread, you reply to that thread in general.

And if you select a piece of text, of any post and press “quote”, than you quote that selection in the reply that you are writing or about to write.

8 Likes

Wish I could make some kind of sappenen . I know im not spelling that rite. Something that helps evenly spread the water. Some kind of soap based product

9 Likes

Okay see i can learn. That’s what I keep telling my wife. HA HA

9 Likes

Yep 100% correct Mr. Monkey…without a constant and correct moisture the microbes die, or at least go dormant until they have moisture to work with. Not sure because I have never used the gro buckets as to the level of moisture from top to bottom using that system. I am guessing that it would be the same as top down watering as the top always dries out first and the bottom is moister. That is why when you are using a dry amendment system like Gaia Green you water frequently but not as much trying to achieve a even moisture top to bottom for optimum results.

Marty

10 Likes

That’s what I’m trying to figure out now. How much of each to keep it in the range

9 Likes

I’m guessing you are talking about watering from the top and bottom both?

Marty

10 Likes

Oh you mean the wetting agent? Saponaria extract is what you’re looking for!

10 Likes

I have to take some new pics when the lights come back on at 5:00 pm to show everyone how they look today. I have issues :laughing:

9 Likes

Im gonna guess that you are keeping them too wet. That is what the necrosis looks like to me.

Marty

10 Likes

Yes . I knew you would know . Your a build a soil fan

10 Likes

I was thinking about the same. Along with all my other mistakes

9 Likes

Just as a suggestion…maybe try a cover for your buckets, but with holes in the cover so you have about 80% coverage with 20% holes and use less water that will allow asperation to the air from the top, but keep the moisture more consistent. Just thinking out loud lol.

Marty

10 Likes

I appreciate it, think out loud all you want. What type of cover? A plastic bag rapped around the top of the bucket? And if so, a White colored bag or a Black bag ? I would love to learn to do a cover crop next grow.

8 Likes

well they make a foil with plastic core like cardboard that I used the one time I did hydro, I used it for heat dissapation, that would work well as it is water proof and reflects light back up to the bottom of the plant. Here is one of them, I folded the material in half then cut my hole for the stem and then a slot so I could slip it around the stem, but you would need to make more holes in it.

Marty

10 Likes

I always top water a little to keep my soil moist. Then i was bottom watering. And yes i mixed it into the soil before it went into the buckets. Ive been mixing it in on top pretty good. When I top feed. Then usually just give it a good watering to settle it into the soil. Then within a day or two i bottom water . Around 6.2 and i will make sure that the top doesn’t dry too much. If it does i top water enough to keep moist.

8 Likes