Here I grow again

Ohhhhh noooo man I’m so sorry I can’t believe that , it’s a fucking horrible feeling to have a plant die actually my outdoor banana Kush was INFESTED with mites , wayyyy to wet here this “summer”

11 Likes

That SUX Hap,

Definitely examine the roots…if it wasn’t a gopher, try to carefully wash the dirt off the roots.

If they are looking brownish, have any ‘slimey’ roots or a punky odor you may have Verticillium or Fusarium wilt going on there…hopefully NOT

Let us know what you see…barring critter attacks, there’s only a few pathogens that will cause a sudden and complete plant collapse…

10 Likes

Yeah. I didn’t think there was many things that could cause this other than decapitation. It might take me a couple of days to get to it, but I’ll look at it. There will be gas going in the boat tomorrow. So if that goes good, might take it for a little rip up the river. at this moment going for a rip in the boat is top priority…:+1:t3::+1:t3::+1:t3::v:t3:

10 Likes

Absolutely !!!

Dead plant will still be dead when you get back from the river !!!

8 Likes

Here’s a couple of pictures from the last few days. I finished the foaming in the bow today. All I need to do to take it out is lengthen the the wires on the new bilge pump. The one that I already bought not operational. so I just need to extend the wires put them in a loom and hook it to the switch panel. Then bolt the floor down and the foot panel and put in the two front seats. That’s all I need to go for a rip. Should be able to knock that out in the morning.

:small_airplane::speedboat::+1:t3::+1:t3::v:t3:

(I move the battery to the other side. I wasn’t comfortable with it being that close to the gas tank.)

11 Likes

#priorities!!! - sorry this happened. I would be devastated! At a quick glance, your well laid out foam looked like several kilos LOLOL … have fun on the river!

LOL … true!!

9 Likes

Well, it appears I found the problem that caused the white wedding cake to die. Now I gotta do is find out what it is. :man_shrugging::v:t3:

Crazy looking shit ain’t it…:v:t3:

12 Likes

HMMMM …
If I were to venture a guess, I believe that’s a hellacious case of Root Knot nematode there Hap![quote=“TheMadFlascher, post:3512, topic:40879, full:true”]

@happilyretired

12 Likes

When I ran the picture through image search that’s what popped up.

9 Likes

Yeah, I’ve seen those bastards destroy whole plantings of 2-3 yr old almond trees !

Here in cali, it’s almost imperative to fumigate orchard ground before or between plantings.
There are a very few systemic insecticides that will control them with foliar applications
(Bayer Movento) but they’re expensive as hell, and not available beyond the Ag chemical market…

8 Likes

So I got no way of getting rid of these sombitches…

9 Likes

Will this work to get rid of them @TheMadFlascher?

5 Likes

@nacho151

I’ll tell you the truth (as far as I know), There are some pests/diseases that are very pernicious and devastating. Viruses, pathogenic fungi such as Verticillium/Fusarium, and root knot/cyst nematodes
Viruses in plants are truly ‘non treatable’. You either destroy all infected plant materials or breed for resistance. It’s a long arduous task !
(Did you know that sugar beet yellows virus ended up infecting all sugar beet seed ELIMINATED the growing of sugar beets in California!) Hence the US reliance on corn sugars and some cane sugar.

Root Knot and Cyst Nematodes eggs can remain in the soil in a dormant state for YEARS (especially the cyst nematode). The only successful commercial products are STRONG fumigants.

The product that you just posted is basically geranium oil with a little alcohol and a couple emulsifiers.

I just talked with Hap on the phone, and I’m going to take a look at predacious nematodes…
It’s been a while since my Nematology class at Poly…LOL, 46 years

9 Likes

I just saw that while reading up on nematodes. I didn’t think it would work very well.

7 Likes

OK, so ‘Predacious Nematodes’ are pretty much limited to species that attack insects or their eggs.
What I found was that I was more interested in Nematophagous Fungi.
You can learn everything that I did by searching that subject on Wikipedia.

Some species of nematophagous fungi are being investigated for use in biological pest control. Purpureocillium lilacinum , for example, infests the plant-parasitic Meloidogyne incognita , which attacks the roots of many cultivated plants. Trials have provided varying results, with some strains being aggressive and others less pathogenic, and some strains that appeared promising in the lab proved ineffective in the field.

So, I could find NO products currently available that contain a Nematophagous Fungi…

I just want to point out that nematodes are MUCH MORE ACTIVE IN WARM, SANDY soils. Heavier silt, clay, or loams are much less problematic. Nematodes are only motile in wet or very moist soils and sand particles have a lot more porosity to enable their spread…

Sorry Hap, I see no alternative to fumigation at this point in timee :unamused: :woozy_face: :weary:

7 Likes

Well, it looks like my outdoor days are over. Unless I go in pots. :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

I can’t even heart react to this because it saddens me :persevere::persevere:

8 Likes

@HostileHippie420
I’m getting close to harvest so as I pull plants, I’m gonna immediately take up the roots and see how far this has gone. If it’s limited to this one planter box, I can remove all of the soil and then take the soil down a foot below the box in the ground. Rebuild it and see what happens. IDK :man_shrugging:

I could do that and then I can run auto flowers in that box. I don’t know how long it takes these things to do what they did to that plant, but that plant went in the ground the end of May. So if a 60 or 80 day plant won’t have the issue, I can run auto flowers twice in that box. I don’t know time will tell.

9 Likes

Right!!! I did heart it but I hesitated … :frowning:

7 Likes

Two or three are going to come down Friday. Not sure yet. I took these photos just after dusk last night.

13 Likes