How many Veterans on the forum?

A brother Army Aviator! Welcome @hepkat4590!

7 Likes

welcome to GN @hepkat4590 , thank you for your service.

5 Likes

Read cfr 38. Thats the bible for your va claims. I am one of the vets the va hid records on. When Shinseki stepped down and they audited all the va hospitals they miraculously found my records. I was in the appeal status for 13 years. No medical would pick me up…blue cross blue shield said i was pre existing and its va, yet va said i was never injured….even tho I was medical retired. The VA is a giant shit show. Just the only shit show we have. Dont ask the dav or wwp cuz they are rediculous too.

6 Likes

bad ass man. is it too cliche to say you’re appreciated? too late.

4 Likes

Army 91-98. Got tired of camping in the woods with my only options being either fire ants or freezing by ass off.
Air Force 98-14. Had a few years of TDY and cable tv. Then after 9-11, it was back to fire ants and freezing my ass off. :rofl:

9 Likes

It’s great that members are sharring their Service to the Country weather it be in the US or in the military in other countries - there was no such thing as PTSD with us Vietnam vets _ I DO know it changed me. In World War 1 & 2 PTSD was call “shell shock”

6 Likes

You sound just like Lion when he and I talk about our times. Vastly different with he serving in 1970 and myself in 2002. There are a great deal of commonalities between our experiences, his basic sounds a little worse, but it’s nothing like what tv made it out to be. Maybe it was just because he was airborne. “They didn’t expect airborne to live back then” he tells me. His description of the Army back then is like a rule infested party jumping from airplanes. I wish I had gone airborne or Sapper.

4 Likes

Different times indeed. I talked to my dad about it. He fought in WW2. Shot twice in 5 days (bad week). You couldn’t drag a war story of out him. I asked him why the WW2 guys didn’t have some of the issues that the Viet Nam guys did. He said “they did!”. One factor was that most of the WW2 guys came home on troop ships and we are sea for weeks. Some of them cried all the way home. During Viet Nam they might go from the jungle to San Francisco International in 18 hours. Sometimes to a reception that was less than enthusiastic and supportive. The sensory shock would have been something. My dad also said that sometimes WW2 vets would go nuts and do some crazy, felonious, even murderous shit. They would get arrested and punished but the papers (there was no TV) would report it but not focus on the troubles of a “shell shocked” Vet, just because. The times and “news” reporting have changed.

6 Likes

I know it changed me too.

Isn’t that funny? The more things change, the more things stay the same.

(All of this has happened before, and it will all happen again.)

Coming home (and feeling bat-shit crazy at home) can make you feel like you don’t even welcome yourself home.
… … …

I want anyone who reads this to know that if you’re feeling crazy, it’s okay to feel the way you do.
I hope you talk to someone who’ll listen to you and hear what you have to say.
It can be hard to ask for help. There are a lot more people willing to listen than you think.

8 Likes

Also the way the country (USA) treated us (vietnam vets) you all know the country didn’t like us vietnam bet because we were babies killers, I have gottn spit on when I came back to this country --Guess that was it’s thanks to me “spit in my face” Thanks !!! also Jane Fonda sure didn’t help things with her anti-war shit --better stop now getting very up-set _______________________

8 Likes

Amen @OlyBoy Takes courage to ask for help but do it.

6 Likes

US Navy 1988-1995. Hospital Corpsman. Desert Shield/Storm. Ooh Rah

10 Likes

Scary stats in this video. Respect to the people served and forgotten.

8 Likes

Navy vet here, 09-10 med discharge E5 CS Squid!

8 Likes

Hey all
Also new to the growers network.
USAF 81-85
Assistant crew chief on B52g
Any other Sac or 43152 here
Lee

8 Likes

I’m back!

7 Likes

Welcome back. Time to fight.

5 Likes

always ready for a fight man.

5 Likes

This is a growers forum, we drop buds and not bombs, but since Russian crossed the border into Ukraine. we need to fight or be on defense.

8 Likes

respect brother. and prayers. “all that is needed for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing” or something to that effect.

7 Likes