Inkfromblood's grow #1

That’s the hard part, there’s different strokes that work for diff folks. And that’s exactly what this is for, track and look back so you just keep getting better results over time :+1: enjoy the smell, it gets better with age :smiley:

2 Likes

Looks like some spilled on leaves before or with lights on. They look great.

3 Likes

I was thinking that too, but there are some burnt looking tips as well. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Day 35 - May 13, 2021

After letting thing dry out for several days (I wanna say 4 or five…) I gave them a good feeding.
They each took about a 750ml+ before seeing runoff. That seems like a lot for one gallon pots, but it is what it is. Hoping to see them perk up a bit. I also scraped out any algae’d coco on top and put on some fresh coco over.

I promised myself I will NOT feed these plants too soon again.

This weekend I’m going to count the nodes and see if we’re ready to transplant to the 5 gallon pots.
If I’m counting 6+ I will, and then I’ll also likely start doing some topping to start mainlining.

I must admit, looking at the schedules provided by General Hydroponics, it implies flipping after 3 weeks. Which if I take into account when my gals (or hopefully gals) were seedlings, would be about this weekend. But that seems too soon to me, especially if I’m gonna be topping and training.

1 Like

Day 36 - May 14, 2021

This was a GOOD morning check-in.
Everyone is looking MUCH perkier - though seeing a couple more brown spots here and there, but I’m not going to obsess over them at this point. (Hoping due to just some nut surface splash)

Look at that lady on the left!

3 Likes

Day 37 - May 15, 2021

No feeding yesterday or planned today.
Things seem to be picking up even more!

Planning to transplant two plants into 5 gallon pots today and put them into the 2x4 tent. Might go with the Gorilla Glue and one of the GSCs.
I’m gonna take advantage of the velcro on the 1 gallon pots though and check the roots first.

However, I am noticing some more discoloration on leaves. Looking at “the chart” (you know the one)
Looks like potassium deficiency? Hoping just from splashes… because other leaves look healthy.

3 Likes

Mid-day update.
Finished transplanting the Gorilla Glue and one of the Girl Scout Cookies to 5 gallon pots.

Took my time to build up a nice hole in the center for transplanting. took a while, and a bit of effort but worked well. I was happy to see some nice looking roots when I opened up the 1 gallon pots - but also glad they were not rootbound at all either.

So at the point my set up consists of:

2x2 Tent: 1 Snow White, 3 Girl Scout Cookies in 1 gallon pots
2x4 Tent: 1 Gorilla Glue, and 1 Girl Scout Cookies in 5 gallon pots

3 Likes

Day 39 - May 17, 2021

Well, today the transplants weren’t looking so hot first thing so I opted to NOT top them yet.
However, i did decide to go a head and top GSC 1 and GSC 2, and see what happens. (Right hand plants in smaller tent)

Based on some advice here, I went in and removed some lower leaves that were getting pretty blocked from light on all plants to see if that helps anything.

Fed everyone. EC1300, pH 6.0
1 gal pots took 1500 ml before getting runoff.
5 gal pots took 3000 ml before getting runoff.

2x4 tent (yellow card just in case. no signs of any bugs yet.)
(GG left, GSC right)

2x2 Tent
(Snowbud left, GSC3, 2 and 1)

3 Likes

Day 40 - May 19th, 2021

Just a photo update. Just letting everybody chill.
After some research, I’m believing the discoloration on leaves to be pH issues. I really have not dropped the pH to lower values. Looking back its been consistent between 5.8 and 6.2, when now I’m reading my spreading should be as low as 5.5 and as high as 6.5+. I will be sure to keep that in mind at the next feeding.

The two transplants are looking much perkier, though the GSC (right) seems a bit stunted.
However, they’re looking like they may be ready to be topped soon!

Other plants in 1 gallons are looking good, despite the discoloration on the leaves.
They don’t seem to be adversely affected by the topping, so thats great.

3 Likes

Day 41 - May 20, 2021

1 gallon pots were dry and light, so I fed.
This time I was sure to go for a lower pH, and did half strength nutes. (Not really sure why, just felt like it might help the discoloration perhaps getting a little burn?)
EC1200, pH5.5

5 gallon pots were still a bit moist to the touch - so I let them sit.
But I did go ahead and top them, which I’ll admit is kinda scary to see the results of.
Fingers crossed I didn’t kill em!

2 Likes

Day 42 - 5/21/2021

Went for some dramatic change this morning. Which, honestly felt kinda bad because I could tell it was because I feel like I need to be more ‘active’ with this grow…which my brain tells me is stupid and that I need to be more patient. But again, this is all a learning experience. I figure if my first good-effort grow is perfect and yields top shelf bud, I won’t learn a damn thing, and be more frustrated next time when things go awry. So keeping that in mind, I’m gonna keep the attitude of MAKE A MESS and fail upwards.

ANYHOW - I went in and did some surgery. Removed all the growth tips from all the plants (they’re all topped at this point) and left the fan leaves. (accidentally cut off some fan leaves from the GSC in the 2x4 tent though :grimacing:) And decided, what the hell, lets start some LST.

Also, its been FOUR DAYS since I last fed the 5 gallon pots, and they’re still a bit moist. So, I’m gonna let em sit today, and probably hit with feeding tomorrow just in case. (Let me know if that sounds stupid)

2x2 tent, topped and trimmed (Yellow card for precaution)

2x4tent, my overly-trimmed-looking plants with LST

2 Likes

Day 43 - May 22, 2021

Fed the 5 gallon GG and GSC.
Each took 3000ml
EC1250, pH 5.7

Much improved after the trimming and starting LST from yesterday!

2 Likes

Day 45 - May 24, 2021

My Birthday! Happy Birthday to me.

Fed Everyone.
1 gal took 1500ml
5 gal took 3000ml
EC1500, pH 5.9

I just felt compelled to water everyone to go for more aggressive growth.
I can tell you now, that next grow, I’m going let things sit in smaller pots for longer, because I’m noticing the stems seem much thicker on the 1 gallon pots. So do the branches in general.

I actually just slightly bent one growth tip on a 1 gallon to see if it would take LST and it snapped! Not all the way off, but enough to be a concern. So I used some soft garden wire to hold it back in its old place and taped up the wound area. Hope that holds.

Anyhow, the GG and GSC in the 5 gal. are showing continued growth.
But sill coloration on the leaves which looks due to pH.

h

2 Likes

Day 46 - May 25, 2021

No feeding today.
Did my 2nd topping on the 5 gallon plants.

1 Gallon plants I applied a little LST on one of the GSCs.
The one with the snapped branch is lookin like it probably wont’ heal, but maybe its just breakage shock. I’m gonna leave it on there for a while and see what happens.

I decided, perhaps my lights were too low at this point, and so I raised em up in both tents.

2 Likes

Day 54 - June 1, 2021

Big skip in time here, because I went on a little vacation up to VT for a long weekend.
While I was away, had a friend water the plants once.
Came home to some GORGEOUS Growth.
Not excessive, but nice dark leaves, no signs of spots or yellowing.

I trimmed some of the smaller potted plants to allow for some light penetration and contintued with some training. They are sitting at about 8 inches tall.

How the training is looking:

The 5 gallon plants also had some good growth, but I went and did the third and final topping, and a little LST. Sometimes I can’t get much movement because the stems are too thick - which I guess is a good thing!

4 Likes

Fed Everyone this morning.

EC1125, pH 6.2

1 gallons took 1500ml
5 gallons took 4000ml

Everyone’s showing signs as female!
However, one plant’s growth tip showed some pistils forming already?!

2 Likes

Day 57

A bit of training. Noticed the 1 gallons pots are drying out faster, so may need more frequent watering.
The 5 gallons are not quite as much as expected.

Did a little training adjustments today, and think I’m done with LST on all plants, and just gonna let them adjust and ride from here on out. Not switching over yet, but feels like it could be soon on those 1 gallons.

The GSC in the back left of this photo, has one side taking off. Thats the plant where I accidentally snapped a grow tip a while back. part of me wants to trim it down to have a more even canopy, but the stem is just to THICK all the way up!

This photo is of the two 5 gallons, trainied to mainline, but I don’t think I set things up quite right from the start. Looks pretty hokey compared to photos of others I’ve seen online. Oh well, so far I’ve been impressed with what training I’ve done so far. Its kind of fun.

4 Likes

Day 59 - June 6, 2021

Had one of those mornings where everything looked awesome and made me feel good about my grow.

Fed everyone.
EC 970, pH 6.0 - (not sure why such a lower EC as I used the same formula from three days ago, except I mixed a 4 gallon batch rather than 5 gallons.)

Did some trimming of some larger fan leaves since they’re starting to block light to each other in the smaller tent. I think they look a little better trimmed anyhow, hopefully this won’t mess anything up.
Did some minor training adjustments but nothing too drastic.

The 5 gallon Gorilla Glue and GSC are looking great, and taking to training well.

Planning to hit up the ole New England Hydroponics store to grab some clonex and start prepping to make some clones for funsies. See what I can get out of some Solo cup grows.

One dilema I have is what to do about what I’m calling my “Tallgal”. A GSC that had a growth tip snapped early on. While it slowly healed the other side took OFF. I’d like to achieve an even canopy in my tent, so not sure what to do with this gal. Seems like it would be a waste to just, cut it down to size Would it be too thick to try to just clone the top portion?

Image is comparing two GSCs. (Tallgal on the left, duh.)

3 Likes

Day 62 - June 9, 2021

Fed the 1 Gallon plants.
1500ml each.
EC1175, pH 5.7

Plants are nearing 12 inches, and so I think I may be flipping to flower this weekend!

This weekend’s other project will be chopping and cloning the top of that Tallgal in the back.
Picked up some Clonex gel (I like that they sell in little single use packs.), Clonex clone nutrient formula. (Maybe the person at the store was just making a sale, but they seemed to know what they were talking about so I figured couldn’t hurt.) and a tall dome and tray to get things started.

I didn’t plan on cloning with this grow initially, just wanted to grow some somewhat quality bud.
I’ve been learning so much, its been a blast.
This whole experience has been therapeutic. Seeing the mistakes I make, and seeing myself be able to address them and then resulting in healthy growing plants is very gratifying.

4 Likes

Day 63 - June 10, 2021

Fed the 5 gallon plants.
4 liters each.
EC1175, pH 5.7

While, they may not be as photogenic as the ones in the 2x2 tent, these plants have thicker stems and more training and tops for colas. However, you can see on the left (Gorilla Glue) there is one branch that got a little aggressive in the training and snapped a bit. Leaves are droopy, but its healing, and hoping that may bounce back.

Otherwise, these plants are on track to be switched over to flower this weekend as well!

5 Likes